The Best Premier League Manager of All Time

This thread is about premier league managers.

And it still doesn’t count cos it wasnt called the premier league up that way then either. :hipster:

Let’s not forget Fergie made CR7. Don’t care how much potential he had. Potential has too be nurtured and introduced gradually. Went from a flashy kid and cultivated into a world beater. Gave the kid his head and built the team around him to flourish.
At United he was no matter what you think of his personality a complete team player there.

5 Likes

He was United manager since 1986 so who did he inherit their youth team of the nineties from?

2 Likes

When you look at how Fergie dominated and kept his team relevant on their blip years for that period of time, it really is no contest I think.

If Pep can revive his Man City team to 2018 dominance after the last 18 months he goes up a lot in my book but still miles away from what Fergie did.

2 Likes

Fergie will allways be the greatest prem manager just for how long he dominated the league an allways knew when to rebuild the team.

I don’t know if pep knows how to rebuild a team Barca n Munich allready had good team set up when he stepped in.

2 Likes

Sir Alex Ferguson.

1 Like

It’s really not even up for debate who the best is.

Fergie saw off:

Keegan, Dalglish, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez, Mancini, Ancelotti…

Again and again and again he always found a way to adapt to a challenge and overcome it. He is the best and the only real debate is who comes second.

6 Likes

Ammunition for a new thread?

The carnage for 2nd would be an interesting read :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

3 Likes

Don’t bother applying if you don’t have a CL title.

1 Like

Also where would the red nosed cunt be ranked internationally. Must be close to the top as well?

Only thing going against him for that is that he never managed on mainland Europe.

Big Weng boys won’t like that type of reasoning my friend. 🤷🏻

2 Likes

Wont like your international one either. :laughing:

1 Like

Top 3 for me with Paisley and Clough

1 Like

Ferguson won it by a landslide on OA. A few Wenger fanboys apart.

Voted for Papa Wenga. For reasons.

A no contest really tbh.

1 Like

If it’s on success then obviously Ferguson but if it’s doing the best with less resources then it has to be Wenger or Klopp.
Before the PL it would be Clough, Paisley, Shankly, Busby and Graham.
They all built teams rather than buying them.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Right

Although Ferguson won the league again in his last season with an aging squad most would say wasn’t fit to win the league at all. And next season Moyes finished 7th with that same squad.

Ferguson was a fucking G in getting his players to perform that’s the simple truth.

To be fair, he was the biggest spending manager in the PL almost every season and broke the transfer record regularly.

Not only did he buy the best players for every position he also bought top quality players to sit on the bench.

He was the most successful but with the same amount of spending I think Wenger could have done the same.

It took Ferguson more than five seasons to win his first title but Wenger did it in just over a season while spending a lot less.

1 Like

Fergie clearly outspent us all along, the £30m on Rio and £20-25m on RvN in the early 2000s took a decade for us to match. But, the… say, ~10 years they both had about similar support (say 96-06) Wenger matched Fergie fairly well after all. Beat him to the league 3 times, once unbeaten and got to the CL finals. Fergie is the GOAT but it was competitive when Wenger was supported properly.

For a thought experiment, Wenger had less resources than Fergie, my guess is he’d do better in a contest with little resources but I’m not 100% sure, look at that 2013 Utd squad. I think Fergie was adaptable and would deliver ‘in any price range’. It’s hard to tell.

To compare with today’s managers though, Klopp would def. do better with little resources than Pep would is my guess, Klopp is far more systemic pragmatism whilst Pep is far more hands-on philosophical imo.

2 Likes