The 5 Biggest Events In Our Lifetime?

Just wanna wish a big fuck you all for mentioning the London bombings but not the Atocha ones :unamused:

These are the times you realise your country is still third world. :confused:

:pepe2: My apologies.

If weā€™re excluding technology Iā€™ll go:

1. Covid
  2. 9/11 (London Bombings, Atocha in the same sack)
  3. 2008 financial crisis
  4. Fall of wall
  5. Iraq War
1 Like

One we all missed the 2004 Tsunami. Think because it was Christmas took people about two days to realise the enormity of this thing.

2 Likes

Yea I canā€™t explain why but the reporting of those Madrid bombings was just so little at the time and since (never once remember seeing an article etc about a memorial for example) but because of that they do sort of slip from the memory a bit. :confused:

193 killed, over 2,000 injuredā€¦they did significantly more damage than the London bombings. Think it probably has to do with, aside from being third worldish in compared to USA/UK, the fact that the crisis hit quite soon after and no one could be arsed to do memorials when people were just trying to get the unemployment rate away from 30%. But yeah think itā€™s still the 2nd biggest obvious terrorist attack after 9/11, no?

3 Likes
  1. Covid 19
  2. 9/11
  3. Iraq invasion
  4. 7/7
  5. Wenger leaving (what can I say, it was a huge holy shit moment)
1 Like

Love it. Thatā€™s an honest answer.

Wenger leaving mightā€™ve made my top 5 if it werenā€™t followed by just one month (of joyous ignorance and naive hope) before Emery was hired and things returned to the same or worse.

But yeah, for us Arsenal fans who have only supported arsenal with Wenger thatā€™s a pretty massive moment in our lives.

1. 9/11 and the Second Gulf War ā€“ > I can remember feeling completely numb when a teacher explained what happened and having the news break into the stupid show I was watching to say that the US was bombing Afghanistan (and later Iraq) was surreal.
  2. The 2008 financial collapse --> I was in school and had absolutely zero job prospects
  3. Obamaā€™s election --> Cannot explain how big this was for people in my age cohort, it really felt like the start of something important
  4. The rise of right wing governments (Trump, Boris, Orban, Netanyahu, Le Pen) --> Cannot explain how big this was for people in my age cohort, it felt like our grandparents, racist uncles and folks from the boonies conspired to steal our future. I worry a lot that the way the older generations forced these right wing governments into power will have a lasting impact on the way we treat Boomers when they are pensioners. I can tell you I am far less inclined to be civil or humane to old GOPers although from time to time my job does demand it.
  5. COVID 19 --> What can I say? This whole thing is terrifying. My wife works at a local hospital with relatively little protection. Iā€™m just glad Maddie isnā€™t old enough to understand.

In no particular order.

• Chernobyl disaster 1986
  • WTC 2001
  • Olof Palme assassination 1986
  • Berlin Wall 1989
  • M/S Estonia sinking 1994
4 Likes

I agree.
What people see in her is beyond belief.
Self centred, attention seeking, with no perceivable talent.
Also, she wasnā€™t murdered

Iā€™m amazed people consider her more worthy than John Lennon.
Thaā€™s astonishing.

1 Like

I miss the Yugoslav wars on these list tbh.

1 Like

Not including the one weā€™re in.

1. Moon Landings
  2. The World Trade Centre
  3. Wenger coming to Arsenal
  4. The Internet
  5. The Smart Phone
1 Like

I was actually talking to my brother about John Lennon the other day. We were trying to figure out what heā€™d be like if he survived. Would he be a parody of himself at this point? Would he be a grumpy old hack still putting out records like Dylan? Would he have aged gracefully into a jovial elder statesman of music?

Iā€™m fairly confident he would have turned out to be wholly insufferable.

4 Likes

Watch that film Yesterday to find out the answer to that question. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A more talented Bob Geldof? I bet his music would be utter shite too.

3 Likes

He mellowed a lot from his angry young man phase.
I would be more interested to know if he would ever have got The Beatles back together.
Saying that, Iā€™d be grumpy if I was married to Yoko Ono, she is the epitome of insufferable, as well as having limited talent.

When you think about John Lennonā€™s later solo work, which was pretty lame, and then Paul McCartneyā€™s later work, maybe Paul was always the talented one? I donā€™t know, Iā€™m not really a big fan of either, so havenā€™t the knowledge to judge.

2 Likes

Plastic Ono band and Imagine are better than anything McCartney ever done.
Done some real dross Paul over the years.

1 Like

But Paul at least seems happy.

Thatā€™s cause heā€™s dead.

4 Likes

I didnā€™t like much of his later stuff and I think that McCartney was the better of the two song writers and the albums he wrote after the Beatles were still good but I know plenty of people will disagree with that.
But being second best to McCartney is like a footballer being second best to Messi.

The Beatles were the greatest and most influential band by some distance and Lennon and McCartney were responsible for that.