The 5 Biggest Events In Our Lifetime?

I see a lot of Princess Diana comments. Its interesting because that was a massive event but I don’t think it would be mentioned by Americans in their top 5. Our princess Diana was the OJ Simpson murders. That shaped the way we look at entertainment. Digging into celebs and their personal lives/drama, reality TV etc.

1 Like

I can’t exactly speak for the significance of American reference points but Diana was more like our JFK I reckon. It was a seriously big deal, I’ve really never seen anything like it.

3 Likes

The miners strike. Shithouse Kinnock and the gutless TUC sold working class aspirations and working conditions down the river forever.

Invention of internet
invention of smartphones (these are easily the two that have changed the world most, thus put them in a different category)

then

covid, 9/11, fall of berlin wall.

You civilians had no idea the internet had just been created did you :bellerin:

1 Like

Imagine how far back this could go if Lengooner was still here.

8 Likes

It’s okay, he’s in a better place now.

Who’s LenGooner?

Only the real ones know. :sunglasses:

(OA Legend and pensioner from the old site)

He beat me one time for personality of the year OA award.

6 Likes

The name Len just reminds me of Father Ted.

“Don’t call me Len, you little shit!”

2 Likes
  1. CIA involvement in Afghanistan and all that stems from it (9/11, 7/7, 11-M, security states, endless wars, etc)

2. The rise of the personal computer and all that stems from it (internet, smartphone, etc)

3. COVID

4. The fall of the Soviet Union

5. The fall of Milli Vanilli

1 Like
  1. CAROLE BASKIN
4 Likes

Funny older guy who moaned a lot. Gervbeano was his legacy on OA.

You kinda remind me of him haha

1 Like

Globalisation/technology excluded:

Coronavirus
Financial Crisis
Arab Spring
Brexit

The woke answer will probably be a climate change tipping point we’ve sailed past.

Ones I can remember watching unfold and can remember where I was when the news broke plus how big technology and the internet has been.

1. The covid-19 Pandemic

2. How big technology has became in the last 20 years

3. Paris Terrorist Attacks November 2015

4. Manchester Terrorist Attack May 2017

5. London 2005 Terrorist Attack

1. Landing on the Moon
  2. Channel 4
1 Like

I genuinely think that was a giant leap for mankind. Even in this day and age, it seems humanly impossible. Kudos to all those involved with that.

Oh, and landing on the moon wasn’t bad.

4 Likes

Memories of the 7/7 London attacks are as vivid to me as 9/11. My brother was working in the City at the time, and he lived near Aldgate East Station. I was walking to a politics lesson at the time the news trickled through and overheard somebody say the bombings happened at Aldgate. I wasn’t sure whether I heard that person say “East” as well. Was almost in tears at the time thinking he might have been hurt. Really sticks in the mind that one but can see why it’s not as defining for many other people, particularly when I am also being reminded by the sheer volume of crazy events that have taken place in my lifetime

6 Likes

My initial feeling on seeing the question posed is to take it as meaning a moment in time. No reason that moment can’t last a day/weeks/months but I don’t feel like I can put “technology” in the mix here considering it’s ever changing anyway. So for me I’d go with the following and some of it is certainly local

9/11
Coronoavirus
Good Friday agreement
Abortion and Same Sex marriage refferrenda here in Ireland
2008 financial crash

I know Dianas death was big news and all but I just can’t classify it as in any way truly meaningful. It was a terrible death and a hugely high profile one but nothing more than that in the grander scheme of things.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was getting at. I was more talking about earth shattering events. That’s why the end of the Cold War and the US involvement directly in the Mid East because of Desert Storm 1 and 9/11 are massive and have basically shaped the world we live in.

1 Like