Super Mik Arteta

He needs to win the Europa League. I can accept giving him another season if he does, but nothing less now. Absolutely nothing less.

It seems increasingly evident that even if very good technically as a coach he doesn’t have the motivational skills to get this team going.

Having said that this lacklustre malaise pre dates him and goes back to Wengers latter years. The culture in the club remains fundamentally rotten as one of the most expensive and well paid teams in world football continues to flounder.

Very hard to see much short term hope here and I’ve now seen enough of Arteta now to think that even with time and money he’s not the man to take us back to competing for the CL or Prem titles. Tonight’s showing was simply not on and the defeat was all too predictable.

2 Likes

To what end?

The league is our bread and butter, the ultimate measure of quality and his league sample is horrendous. An EL win doesn’t give me the confidence his has the ability to lead this club moving forward so why stick?

Other coaches have been sacked for much less than we’re currently seeing

3 Likes

If I ran the club I probably would sack him, I would have done it back in December frankly. I’m more just saying I can live with him getting another year if he wins EL cause I know how big that is for us and it’s impossible they’d sack him if he won it.

4 Likes

What Manager takes an entire season to still find his starting 11…injuries are aside, game after game its different. I’ve always said it, if a manager is incapable of settling on a starting 11 after 10 games he is done.

How you do expect to build a house if you keep changing the layout of bricks?

Arteta knows how to say the right things because he’s been under both Moyes, Wenger and Pep but has probably inherited the worst managerial skill sets of all of them combined.

4 Likes

Club won’t sack Arteta if he wins the Europa league because Arteta would take arsenal to court for unfair dismissal.

Arteta is not an arsenal legend, he has no concrete ties with the club. Fans know it and he knows it.

I’m not saying Wenger shouldn’t have been sacked when he was, but man the shit he was sacked for compared to what this guy is getting away with these days is criminal.

15 Likes

I agree with this, at this point (and this season specifically) the EL quality has been that of the League Cup, and you could argue that the teams in the league cup are probably better. We beat a bunch of part timers to qualify for the knock out stages, then have a run of basically mid table teams until the final if UTD get there. It’s an achievement on paper as it’s a European Cup but not really when you look at the teams involved.

The league is the best way to measure how a team is doing and where it’s heading and if we look at Arteta’s sample size then it’s simply not good enough for a club of this size and stature. It’s not just the results that are shocking but the performances are some of the worst most of us have ever seen in our life times, real anti football stuff. The players can’t be absolved because there are some absolute shitters but overall this team is good enough for the top 6 and on a season like this top 4. And that is on Arteta.

3 Likes

I think it’s just pure luck and timing, do you reckon that if Covid hit Wenger would have kept his job because I do. Also if Wenger had been still in European trophy you’d imagine they would have let him see that out.

97 percent of what is keeping Arteta in the job right now has to be an easy run to the EL Final. The day it ends whether we win or lose we should part ways. If we win it and he leaves it genuinely wouldn’t even be that bad for his career.

1 Like

Tell that to Milan, Napoli, Leicester etc.

1 Like

We will be in the top 4 race next season and reach around 70 points minimum. Bookmark that. We’ll be laughing at this seasons table in 12 months time.

5 red cards with the scores tied, countless 50:50 offside decisions costing us points. This won’t repeat.

4 Likes

!remind me 12 months from now OA bot.

Genuinely though I admire the conviction, Arsenal opinion is incredibly agenda driven right now and I think a lot of us - myself included-don’t even remember how to enjoy football.

A good summer and there’s absolutely scope for growth, get some fans back in and hopefully the football improves. Here’s hoping.

3 Likes

A lot of people making claims here and there, on Arteta will succeed or not next season.
Actually it is 50% chance to get it right.
Either he will or will not.
Why not set up a post/poll to show who the believers and protestors are, so we just need to bookmark one.

I’m giving him another transfer window and up until the end of November next season. I’ll change my tune if we aren’t seriously close to 2 points per game in the league/in the race for 3rd/4th

1 Like

On the other hand he didn’t get sacked after 2-8, which is pretty unbelievable.

4 Likes

This is such a boring comparison.

Stop looking at the stats. Performance wise, Arteta > Emery every day of the week.

2 Likes

I don’t particularly like this argument either. The mood was totally different with Emery’s reign, fans in the stadium, players hadn’t downed tools and still played with some vigor and you had Auba just coming into the team who was hungry and deadly.

I do feel like Emery’s capitulation of top 4 is is worse than Arteta’s failures. Absolute spectacular fumble that has set us back about 5 years.

Everything from Wenger to Emery to Arteta has compounded negatively and the job has gotten harder for each subsequent manager. What we need is someone with a backbone that will carve out their own squad and ambitions separate from the failures of our previous 3. Someone like Allegri

3 Likes

Comparing Emery to Michael Arteta is like comparing George Clooney to Val Kilmer.

They were both pretty dour Batmans

2 Likes

Though Val Kilmer way more talented and cool. I’m your Huckleberry.

3 Likes

A quote there from the Arteta book of pathetic excuses.

When Arteta does get sacked he will have great career in PR.
He is the worst manager in the PL so to get so many ex players to come out and tell the media what a brilliant manager he is going to be, is a work of genius.

3 Likes