Spurs vs Arsenal (PL)

I’d encourage you to check out non-MLS teams in your area if you want something a little less corporate.

MLS has tried to shed some of that “hey, soccer is fun for the whole family and is proudly sponsored by Audi, don’t forget to cheer!” image but it’s still a little hamstrung by its roster rules and fear among shitty owners that Toronto, Atlanta or LA or NYC might go all Galactus and devour the league while clubs like DC or Salt Lake just exist and suck forever.

@Castiel Beckham trying to bring credibility to MLS was a mixed bag for me. He probably moved over too early before realizing that he could still play for Milan (and Paris). On the plus side it was big coverage here and loosened up roster rules. On the downside it reinforced MLS’s reputation as a retirement league for some people. There’s a reason we always joke about PL guys securing the bag by moving to MLS. MLS is way better served trying to mimic South American leagues. The rosters would be a bunch of kids and old dudes. Anyone with serious talent would reach escape velocity to a Big 5 league (maybe Portugal, Dutch or Swiss leagues too) before they hit 21-22.

Still can’t believe we put out such a pissweak showing against our arch rival in a huge match.

1 Like

^^^^^^

Didn’t you get the memo?

@Castiel and I have turned this into the North American Soccer thread. There was no match tonight. It never happened.

1 Like

I actually used him as an example because I can’t get the read on the dude. There was a night at Windsor Park when I was younger where we famously beat England. I know. Most Italians don’t even consider that a win unless it’s a cup final.

Though after all the celebrations and the huffy bullshit from the away team against the fans. Beckham came over and clapped and acknowledge the NI fans. I mean there had to be a bunch of young United fans in the crowd that appreciated that.

Then someone threw a car battery at him

2 Likes

Soft penalty but Cedric looks so clumsy in that position. I can see why it’s given.

Holding’s red card was justified, started the match with the wrong kind of aggression. Thought he’d know better, he’s experienced and has played big games before.

Game was ruined after that, big shame as Spurs weren’t all that.

Time to move on and make this NLD irrelevant by winning our last 2 games.

2 Likes

It’s funny Blink but there was almost an exact same pen given against us, against Spurs, when one of our defenders (Koscielny?) was deemed to have pushed Kane in the back in the box. It was at Wembley. The Auba last min penalty bottle game.

Only ever happens to Arsenal. Only ever happens v Spurs. Coincidence?

This 13 goal haul by Kane against us therefore is such a misleading stat. At least 3 of them have been penalties. Cheap penalties. Without them, he’d be on about 9 goals against us (less than Vardy has scored against us, which isn’t quite as damning)

I’d never call getting Bitch slapped in a NLD irrelevant.

But yes if we get the CL spot we’ve achieved our goal for the season.

1 Like

Most definitely not.

Thank god. I’ve been buying it up all, I’m fully prepared for it to get de-listed but something that was worth $100 yesterday and is now worth a cent.

Might as well grab a little bit for a gamble.

1 Like

They finished 7th the year before and hadn’t won the league in since 05/06 (which they were stripped of)

Conte first title win > Wenger finishing 4th with the 4th best team

Damn why dont we try hiring a top tier manager one of these days.

Hahaha classic Belfast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol

4 Likes

I’m sure Sky Sports were desperate for the game to go in such a way that 50% of the audience turned off before the ad break :arteta2: :arteta2:

3 Likes

Also a lot was made of the noise last night in the ground. Its a good sound but totally manufactured by the design of the ground.
Good for atmosphere but totally false. Need to find a way of communicating that too players because it looked like it had an effect on us at times.

I think Souness said it best one time (surprising for him) that you should be roused as an away player going to these stadia. Sourpuss Souness mentioned Old Trafford specifically at the time, but footballers ought to embrace the pain. They should want to play there. It’s what being a player is all about.

2 Likes

The same barge

Buffon once replied to a comment about the away crowd at Celtic being like a “12th man” and he simply replied with “the 12th man never scored a goal”.

The great teams and the great players soak up the away atmosphere and revel in it.

4 Likes

Nice, do not leave St James’ Park without the 3 points.