Spurs vs Arsenal (PL)

I think we just have more options to watch matches here. NBC has thrown a ton of money at it. Even a bad outlet like FoxSports which would run segments like “Hey folks, did you know you can’t use your hands in soccer?” would jump on highlighting the Arsenal-Spurs rivalry because it translates so well for North American audiences familiar with the Yankees-Mets or Giants-Dodgers or North Carolina-Duke. If there’s one thing we do understand here, it’s rivalries.

You’re actually dumb lol

4 Likes

people only just realising this :henry2:

4 Likes

I think you have actually sunk to a new low…I wasn’t sure you could get much lower but you have. You only pop up on here to celebrate when Arsenal lose under Arteta. As a football fan you get behind your team, win, lose or draw. You support the team. You clearly have an agenda against Arteta which is misconceived. It wasn’t long ago that you were saying we wouldn’t get back into Europe. Arteta has given us the chance of a top 4 finish which is still in our hands. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have to give a balanced view otherwise it’s an agenda and I’ve got no time for tthat. You would be better off going to support the scum!

3 Likes

I think like you said it’s about money.

One of the reasons I championed the idea of the Super League so hard was because I wanted the likes of the States and Canada to have -god forgive me- soccer teams to be more main stream.

Whether it’s 5 or 50 years from now footballs going to be one of the biggest sports in your country. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised to see you win a world cup in my life time if it takes off- you laugh but look at the women’s team.

Though most of all I don’t want my beloved Arsenal being left out of the trans Atlantic tournaments that are soon to come

Wrong. Ive been saying for a very long time that Arsenal have the chance for top 4 just through our talent gap alone. We have a much better squad than the likes of West Ham, Leicester ect. Any half way decent manager could guide this team to top 4, especially after having a summer where the club spent more than city :woozy_face::woozy_face: Arteta has mostly just been much shittier than half way decent in his time here. Hes finally doing the minimum of his job requirments and other more talented clubs like United are really in the shit. Good fortune for him and the flat brain fanatics actually think hes doing something lmaooooo :clown_face::clown_face::skull::skull::joy::joy:

Losing 3-0 to Spurs on the chance of sealing CL for the first time in almost 6 years is the most Arsenal thing ever lol

I thought you said Spurs were much bigger bottlers @Sol

I appreciate that vote of confidence but the USSF is so deeply corrupt and stupid that I’ll be super dead before it happens.

People don’t really understand but a National team is simply about three things, the infrastructure, the size of the population, and the belief.

The states literally has the population, imagine you had more kids growing up kicking a soccer ball than passing hockey pucks or dreaming about American football?

The Central and especially South America’s have that belief even without the infrastructure. Best national teams in the world.

If the United States really got behind football I have no doubt you’d be one of the best national teams in the world. Unfortunately as of right now it’s considered a dud sport and all your athletes chase their domestic sporting dreams from a young age none of which are football, I mean soccer. You know what I mean.

God im glad i was out tonight. This result is a body blow, so much uneccessary pressure on us now

1 Like

The only consolation is, having not watched the game, I don’t know how stupid the Red card or any of the mistakes were.

I just hope this doesn’t affect the remaining games we have cause you just don’t know with this team.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing that for years.

Sports Illustrated ran articles in the 00s with headlines like “what if our best athletes play soccer?”

The issue is less a population one and more how the game is structured here. It’s been geared towards wealthier families who could afford to pay registration fees. Coaching was hopelessly backwards and prioritized size over technical quality. The USA’s soccer culture is also very strange. You’ve got hardcore Eurosnobs who refuse to watch any domestic soccer on principle and people who will take any opportunity to bash folks who follow European soccer as frauds or somehow destroying the domestic game.

So it’s just really complicated because the USA is a complicated place. It’s probably too big to be one country tbh.

Dont let this riveting USA football talk distract you from the fact that Conte shit all over cone boi today :joy::joy::joy::woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face:

The idea of a Super League would change that though. For the record I’m just using any archetype similar to the ESL- something that would bridge the gap.

Watching Bayern v Real Madrid in your stadium’s would completely change the mindset, the culture hell it might even - god forgive me- win the hearts and minds.

These Eurosnobs you talk of are simply being contrarian. The more mainstream the game gets, the sooner your country starts putting out better talents than fucking Pulisic. Fuck me even we had Best and we’re like a nation of about a solid mil if you leave out the alcoholics. Though ironically we’d need them to stand to keep George

2 Likes

Our experienced players let us down massively, but I take some solace in knowing that our destiny is still in our hands. win our last two games and CL is ours. The boys have to wipe this game from memory and prepare to go again on Monday. This is possibly one of the best chances we’ll have in years to accelerate this project and push it forward. CL will allow us to step up a level and truly compete. So much is riding on these last two games. I got faith that we can do it!

Yeah. At the risk of derailing the thread (and who’s going to complain given the performance tonight) there are two things here.

I think the game in the States actually needs the opposite of the ESL. We already have a closed league with the MLS and it’s impossible to compare it to the quality of play in any of the Big Five European leagues. It’s even hard to compare it to Liga MX (which is typically the most popular league here anyway). Part of it is because there are so few teams for a country this big, part of it is the closed system with no pro-rel and part of it is the strict cost controls. OTOH, without some of those insane rules MLS probably doesn’t survive for more than a few years.

I think more investment in grassroots is what will eventually allow the country to move forward. Getting more coaches trained and getting more diverse coaches trained would be a nice start.

And for what it’s worth Pulisic is a good talent, streaky but a nice talent. Because he’s a well spoken white kid from suburban PA who moved to Chelsea he got massively overhyped. He hasn’t performed up to his transfer fee but he’s an unqualified success when stacked against the history of USA players moving to Europe. In a weird way the USA is experiencing this golden generation of men’s players in European leagues. Even if Weston McKennie was a punchline to Juventus fans, he’s a super important player for the States. Tyler Adams may be anonymous for Leipzig fans (if they exist) but he’s the most important player for the USA.

Maybe the solution is to have both grassroots investment and a global league where the USA could send teams like LA, Atlanta or NYCFC. That would probably do more for the game here than forcing those clubs to compete within MLS.

Yeh see we’re actually in the same mindset. Me and dad always talk about this, we’ve been going to Windsor Park since forever. Grassroots is such a naive word. Especially in the Irish leagues- both North and South.

I’ve always believed as a national team we needed more players away from our dog shit infrastructure and in the English league, even in the lower divisions with the chance to come up. I know you aren’t a fan but there’s a reason Evans was one of the best defenders I’ve ever seen in NI top, it’s because he trained in the big leagues- he had a brother btw Corey Evans, NI international, but not the same class. Also trained at United, didn’t get a chance, wasn’t actually good enough.

The difference for you though is in less than ten years you could have an infrastructure, hell, maybe less. I remember when Beckham tried to bring credibility to your leagues but it doesn’t work like that.

You have to accept for now your leagues are dog shit. Same as the NI ones. Though something like the Super League could completly change everything for you guys in a very short period of time.

You could even be one of those super hip guys who follows a team outside the American Soccerbowl, if Arsenal don’t get into the next esl

1 Like

There’s something extremely capitalist and hollow about football in the states. So much of it doesn’t even feel authentic and the culture feels manufactured. Other places see football as a working mans game but it’s quite the opposite here. It definitely has an elitist feel to it much like tennis. The working class sport culture here will never be football centric like it is in other countries. Cats grow up playin basketball or American football. These sports are the most accessible.

The gulf in intensity when you watch Liverpool vs City compared to Arsenal vs Spurs is absolutely mind blowing.

Isn’t this the literal definition of how the United States came to be?

Some day you’ll walk outside and see kids playing with jumpers for goalposts.

Then you’ll know you’re going to produce a better fucking talent than Pulisic