Sol Campbell

:joy:

If Big Sol says Foden is right footed, then Iā€™m sorry, Foden is right footed.

The cunt better start learning to use that right peg. Sol hath spoken.

9 Likes

His point still stands though. Would rather show Foden outside and make the it a tighter angle on his stronger foot, than let him cut inside and have the whole goal gapingā€¦ (He could still use his stronger left using the outside of the boot).

Always show them wide and narrow the angle, such basic stuff.

3 Likes

Heā€™s up there with the shittest most pointless pundits I think Iā€™ve ever seen

1 Like

Pretty much sums up everyone that somehow gets a gig on TV

1 Like

He did a pretty good job if I remember. Put in some very solid performances.

1 Like

Yep, I remember being pretty impressed with his stint. Even scored for us in the Champions League didnā€™t he? Pretty sure it was against Porto lol

2 Likes

Yep. I think that was the longest gap between goals at the time cause heā€™d also scored in the CL final which was his last European goal for us

2 Likes

Should of never let him leave in the first place TBH

3 Likes

You think? Didnā€™t he have a pretty tough time of it in his last season before leaving?

He had a mental breakdown that season because of his personal life. I think he still could have contributed allot while given the team his leadership and experience. The way Wenger dismantled the Invinsibles was wrong

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand. Wenger wanted to keep him but Campbell wished to play abroad. Sol only got as far as Portsmouth.

He went off against West Ham at HT didnā€™t he?

There were rumours it was something to do with his sexual orientation but it was more so with his fatherā€™s death.

2 Likes

Yep, we really needed to have offered him more support and work to keep him here. He clearly wasnā€™t in a good place

2 Likes

Does anyone remember him being on a 100k a week when we signed him as there was no fee? I wonder if he was still on that in 2006 and thatā€™s part of the reason he was shifted

1 Like

Still one of my greatest days being a Gooner when we announced weā€™d signed him

5 Likes

Solā€™s departure message below. I do appreciate the sarcastic tone in this article so Iā€™ll paste it all in.

When Sol Campbell proclaimed in July that his desire to leave Arsenal was partially fuelled by the appeal of playing out his career abroad, the implication was that he was off to grace one of the worldā€™s great footballing stages.

ā€œI want to kick-start my career again and take my football into a new realm and playing abroad will do that,ā€ he said. ā€œItā€™s something I have dreamt about since I was a boy. I have nothing left to prove in England.ā€

So, was it to be tapas and toreadors in Madrid, cappuccinos and calcio in Milan, or perhaps even combining a turn on the Broadway boards with strolling out for the New York Metro Stars?

It is a fair bet that few had considered his eventual choice of sophisticated foreign metropolis would be Portsmouth. Among those were his former manager ArsĆØne Wenger, whose surprise at Campbellā€™s definition of overseas also revealed a flash of annoyance. ā€œI have no regrets, but it is a big surprise to me because he cancelled his contract to go abroad,ā€ said Wenger. ā€œHave you sold Portsmouth to a foreign country? No.ā€

In the announcement that appeared on Arsenalā€™s official website earlier this summer Campbell gave the distinct impression that he would prefer a move away from the Premiership. ā€œIt is with a sense of pride, achievement and the desire for a fresh challenge that I depart,ā€ read the statement. ā€œPlaying abroad is something that would really interest me, but I am keeping all of my options open.ā€

ā€¦At least a south coast club is situated a little closer to the continent than one in north London. And if he ever needs to clear his head after a poor game the port cities of France are but a short ferry hop away.

Amazing shock wasnā€™t it? I remember Barce in for him, saying they liked he was on a free. It was a real big balls move beating off the rest of Europe and putting the most money down for him. Him and Bergkamp were probably our most prostigous signings at that time we got them. Ozil is close but not quite as big imo

3 Likes

The next home league match after Sol did his half time runner was (if memory serves me) against Bolton and we equalised with a late Gilberto goal (@Aussiegooner pls confirm). It was my 16th birthday and Iā€™d gone to the match with a school mate.

After this we made our way back to East London and ate in the Pizza Express near the Picture House cinema in Stratford with some others. I was wearing my Arsenal shirt and clocked this guy wearing a Man U shirt having dinner with his other half. Part way through the meal I see him looking at me and gesturing, and he says ā€œI swear thatā€™s your boy?ā€ gesturing with his head. I looked once, didnā€™t see anyone I personally knew in the fairly empty restaurant, and turned back to him with a quizzical expression.

He sighs, points and says ā€œbro look in that cornerā€, and it was fucking Sol Campbell. Heā€™d been AWOL for a week or so and, again if memory serves, nobody had really seen or heard from him as far as us fans knew.

I plucked up my courage, and made sure Iā€™d waited til he wasnā€™t eating and was maybe finishing up, before popping over and asking if I could possibly get an autograph and a photo. Understandably he looked a bit reluctant for a second, but was actually really nice about it, posed for a pic with me and wrote me a birthday message on a pizza express napkin.

Which for me has always been to his credit, because particularly given everything going on for him at that specific moment in time, it would have been totally reasonable for him to say no to all photos and want to be left alone. So it was class of him to make a sixteen year oldā€™s birthday that bit more special.

Still not his biggest fan though lelelel

Edit: bit more context. I knew he was probably hiding from the limelight and staying with family, or at least visiting because my first family home was in Plaistow and I knew that Sol Campbell grew up on my road cos his mum still lived there, heā€™d also attended the same primary school as me. So once I got over the shock of seeing him, it kinda made sense that heā€™d be somewhere as seemingly random as a Pizza Express in Stratford of all places with everything that was going on with him at the time.

17 Likes