Sol Campbell

You’ve forgotten Adebayor.

I dunno about you Sol but if we won the league in 15/16 I wouldn’t have given a fuck what others fans thought or said lol.

Our first title in 12 years was getting celebrated big style!

1 Like

Nah man I get that, I’m saying if I had to pick out the two seasons, I’d go for the earlier one. 07/08 would have been a cleaner and more impressive title win.

3 Likes

I only mentioned the players who got long term injuries that season.

I’d have had no preference tbh haha. We shat it in 10/11 aswell. We really should have more than 3 PL titles ffs :joy:

That Birmingham match was the moment the change in weak mentality started for me.
Should never have lost that day. Eduardo Was a tragedy but we had enough to win the title.

1 Like

Fuck me 07/08 was a tough one.

1 Like

2007/08 is also gutting because we would’ve beaten one of the most impressive Manchester United teams Ferguson assembled in that era, they went to to feature in 3 of the 4 CL Finals in that period, which is testament to how good they were. It would of been one of Wenger’s greatest victories. Ronaldo had a insane season too, 31 League goals.

Hard to take in how close we were. Especially given how we got knocked out in other tournaments too by our competitors, 5-3 Aggregate to Liverpool in the CL, 4-0 to United in the FA Cup, Spurs 6-2 Aggregate Win in the Carling Cup.

1 Like

Tbh if we were still in the title race, we’d have continued to bottle it.

We had a good end to the season because after the United game the title was pretty much gone and we started winning games again.

That run if draws was excruciating, as it was shit teams as well.

Birmingham is a shitcunt of a club and Alex McCleish is a shitcunt of a manager.

I think if we had big Sol in 2008, he possibly could have helped rally the troops and get us over the line tbh, especially after Gallas lost his head.

That Birmingham game, the actual leg break even, is the sliding doors moment of this entire club.

In an alternate universe we rallied after it, won the league at a canter and went on to win about 5 more PL titles and a CL since. Bendtner is 600 games and 275 goals deep for us and has never had his dick anywhere a taxi.

11 Likes

Yeah, some experience and leadership would’ve been great to have in those years… I definitely agree we’ve let the invincibles generation go away too quickly… We should’ve kept some of the guys for the sheere experience and guidance they would give to the team at that time.

Well Wenger only wanted to give 1-year deals to players 30 or over, as why there was a clearance of personnel. I disliked this policy because keeping some experienced players around is vital when letting younger players in. If your good enough age doesn’t matter and a few 30+ could have done a decent job on the pitch and a very important job in the dressing room.

2 Likes

The Liverpool tie was a travesty also as we played the better football over the 180 minutes.

4 Likes

Imo if we would have gotten that done everything would have been different. What a ball kicking collapse. One the first “WOB” moments for me. Couldn’t hold the ship together and that’s where the entire “Arsenal don’t have mental toughness” thing started.

1 Like

At that particular point (07/08) we had Lehmann, Toure, Gallas, Silva as older heads, but Rosicky and Hleb were also 25/26, Sagna and Eduardo 24. The bench was filled with kids, but it wasn’t kids only. If one of the older heads (Gallas) shits the bed, what are you going to do? Lack of squad balance (defenders/forwards) and the fact that we had only 15 or 16 good players was more of problem imo.

@shamrockgooner Wenger biggest fault imo was changing to possession based 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 from what he knew best. If that League is won that might not ever happen either.

1 Like

Yeah that formation change was imo clearly wrong. He probably knew that but being as stubborn as he is he persisted with it. But there’s many things that led to our failings then. I do however think it was a clear mistake by Wenger to be public with his age philosophy. Such a thing probably caused some unrest within the squad. I remember him getting quite a few sticks from other managers and pundits about it at the time.

I was at that game. :pensive:

Quietest train journey home

1 Like

Sounds like he’s left Macclesfield. Hope he gets another job soon, looks like he did well for them at least.

2 Likes

Even though he proved he’s not a dud, I don’t think Sol will find it easy getting a job higher up the football league. Hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Didn’t Huddersfield just open up? Coincidence?