Sol Campbell

3 Likes

Good thing he smiles after all that weirdness

Such a freak :joy:

Iā€™m tempting fate here perhaps, but had to grab this to send to every Spurs fan I know for when they hopefully lose to Liverpool.

13 Likes

I hope you remembered to send that Sol picture to any Spurs fans you know @JakeyBoy :grin:

2 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

iā€™ve been having a think, this psycho had at least an extra 3 years are the top level to give us, and never should have left us in 2006. Him and Gallas in 2008 and maybe we win the league.

Him and Toure along with Cole staying had we offered him proper wages and we deffo would have won at least 1 more title.

Needlessly throwing away a great defender and you could argue, havenā€™t replaced him since.

Ditto Freddie and Bobby. that over-30s 1 year contract policy was lunacy, and tbh the handling of that CL finalist squad was an early sign of the shit management of our club.

1 Like

There are so many what ifs from 06 onwards. Itā€™s actually infuriating if you give it too much thought.

3 Likes

Freddie went at the right time, he was done by then.

3 Likes

He was nowhere near his top level 2006 and onwardsā€¦ Dropped so much during the 2005/06 season, where he had a lot of injury problems. Him and gallas would won us the league in 2008? Youā€™re saying he was better than toure at that time??
I donā€™t think we missed him at all since he left (maybe as a back up, or as a leader in the locker room, but thatā€™s another thing). Prime campbell is still one of the very best CBs Iā€™ve watched in the league, if not in general, but he wasnā€™t the half the player he was in his last season for us and after.

Tbf even if he wasnā€™t in his prime, heā€™d still have started for us over Senderos after he got Drogbaā€™d.

When he came back on loan in 2010 he was our best CB.

He was injured for a lot of 2005-06 but as you say, even for leadership and depth reasons he should have stayed.

Toure started falling off a bit in 07-08 iirc as well, and we could have used some more leadership.

Freddie and Bobby I was thinking more as depth options tbh

Toureā€™s form went through the floor in those years, especially after the malaria. Sol would have been in with a shout certainly.

3 Likes

Itā€™s tough to say but I do believe that post-CL season Toure was on a steady decline. Was quite relieved when Manchester City managed to nab him from us because heā€™d started to look like a disaster for us.

1 Like

Cole is defo the biggest what if, I just didnā€™t rate Clichy at allā€¦disaster of a left back always getting skinned (He had one good season though if I recall?)ā€¦canā€™t believe City took him off our hands.

1 Like

Yes, Cole genuinely wasnā€™t missed in 06/07 thanks to how good Clichy was. He looked quicker than Cole, too.

As soon as he made that mistake against Birmingham in Feb 08 to award them a last min penalty, our season fell apart as did Clichys form

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say that wasnā€™t handled in the right way as far as The Invincibles go. Arsenal really took off in 07/08, but crashed as fast. Arsenal was short on forwards and creative players. Bendtner and Walcott were the back ups for van Persie, Eduardo and Rosicky. Obviously the Gallas breakdown sucked. But if you get Toure/Carrick, Cesc might not ever happen.

I donā€™t know whatā€™s a bigger regret. 07/08 or 15/16.

07/08 was worse for me. We played the best football that year, and were leading the table with a decent cushion going into April (ish). We then drew a shit tonne of games and allowed United to overtake us.

I believe Anelka was available that January and Chelsea bought him for around Ā£15m. Think we would have got over the line if weā€™d bought him.

Also, we were so unlucky that year with the Eduardo leg break - it was literally the tiny bit of normal luck we needed. He would have scored the goals we needed to stay on top. The mental impact of losing him also seemed to affect the squad a lot, like we knew that it wasnā€™t going to be our year after that Birmingham game. Also, I would have loved for Cesc to have won the league with us. The one thing lacking from his career at Arsenal. Might have kept him at the club for life as well, who knows.

15/16 was depressing but if we had finished top, other fans would have said we won it by default.

6 Likes

Think we had 4 concutive draws vs Birmingham, Villa, Boro and Wigan, also narrow losses at the Bridge and OT after taking the lead in both games in the run, was pretty gutting as we only fell 4 points short.

2 Likes

Tbf I never felt the hype or some excitment during the 2015/16 as if weā€™re about to win it or somethingā€¦ Today Iā€™m even surprised how we even finished 2nd considering how shit we played most of the season. Itā€™s strange for me to even compare that to 2007/08 wich was our best season in the league since 2003/04.

That birmingham matc is surely one of the most disatrous games football has ever witnessed. If it was only the leg break it would be bad enough. If it was only losing the points (along with the leg break) it would be horrible. But the way we lost the fucking pointsā€¦ (right now Iā€™m feeling traumatised recolleting the whole thing)ā€¦ that adebayor chance on 2:1, when he had bendtner clearā€¦ the clichyā€¦ ffsā€¦ my reaction after the game was literally the same as gallas, I totally understood himā€¦ Everybody knew we lost the leauge at that point. Ffs

3 Likes

Obviously. But at the same time nobody could take that title away from Arsenal. Same for Cesc and for me, I know heā€™s pretty unpopular here now, but I would have also loved it for Ozil to win a title here.

1 Like