Santi Cazorla

Emi Buendia regen.

1 Like

Definitely the best midfielder we had in the last decade. His injury was devastating for us and we’ve never looked consistently good in midfield since.

Really happy he’s playing again and playing well.

10 Likes

Delighted for him

I love Arabic commentary lol

2 Likes

The mismanagement there was criminal.

We never really got to say goodbye to him either.

It’s a little cheesy that clubs have old players on payroll in ambassadorial positions but ffs if anyone should be offered a spot like that it should be Cazorla.

2 Likes

So devastating.
Wenger should have bought a backup midfielder that season.
Both Coquelin & Cazorla got injured against West Brom, and we lost the season. If Cazorla was not injured we would have won the PL.

1 Like

This just isn’t true. Santi’s injury is not the reason we didn’t win it’s completely because Wenger never signed a proper fucking striker to replace RVP. Giroud played in all 38 games for us that season (I think he started something like 28 of those games) and didn’t hit the back of the net for a sizable number of games.

We lost because we didn’t have a striker who could put away the chances Ozil was creating in his sleep. Not because Santi was injured as big a blow as that was for us and as much as I agree we missed him.

3 Likes

Plus after the Leicester win we had 5 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses. I don’t think that is injuries. We just imploded, yet again.

3 Likes

We completely lost the balance and were lacklustre in midfield once the Santi-Coq combo was taken away.

Even if we were still in race we were not doing it convincingly and any bottle work we had was just eventuality considering how disfunctional we were with Ramsey in midfield.

Having Cazorla would have massively eased our overall play and allowed Giroud & co to score more goals while keeping better possession to avoid goal concession.

Nah, it’s got nothing to do with Cazorla missing. We imploded. We lost to Swansea at home and got beat by the worst United team I can remember beating us.

De Gea, Varela, Carrick, Blind, Rojo, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Herrera, Mata, Depay, Rashford

Meanwhile our team had a full strength minus Cazorla.

Unacceptable implosion. We would not have won the league had Santi stayed fit we were mental midgets.

11 Likes

bro, you didn’t have to…

3 Likes

I think Santi may well have been enough to keep us ahead of Leicester if he stayed fit.

Although better options on the forward line on top would’ve potentially made it certain and may have been enough on their own. Nevertheless I think Oli G was better than given credit for by many and I think he’s better than Lacazette and even the post new contract 2021 Aubamayang (the earlier version was brilliant though).

The midfield just stopped working properly after Santi got injured with less chances created.

Our final three games with Santi fit were a home draw with Spurs, loss at West Brom, draw at Norwich. We had bigger problems than losing Santi and couldn’t deliver away performances to save our lives.

5 Likes

You guys seriously underestimate the impact of having a proper midfield.
Only need to look at our record with Santi & Coquelin in 2014.

I am completely certain that there would have been some setback in that season but it wouldn’t have been as much of a implosion if we had a proper midfield with Santi.

We ended up relying on Sanchez & Ozil for everything.

Srcjj mentions Swansea, watch the first goal we concede. Our team was set up all wrong, we conceded the easiest goals I’ve ever seen and the thing is, it looked rehearsed by us to win a foul from the goal kick that the players had no idea what to do when we didn’t win it.

Goal kick, ozil does his usual fall over trying to win a foul from an aerial ball, Ramsey gets turned and through ball goal.

Goal kick 2 passes goal.

Joke

Our team wasn’t set up right for certain games at all. He needed to adapt and he didn’t. So many games for the taking man.

5 Likes

95 posts were merged into an existing topic: Arsène Wenger

I could be wrong but I also have a memory of Cazorla skying a penalty against West Brom.

How do you sleep at night knowing you remember all this shit.

7 Likes

Lost 2-1. Coulda gone top if we won.

Didn’t Cazorla score the 1? Or was it Giroud?

For all the AKB’s, why did Wenger lie to the supporters so often about spending?
He kept saying things like, “not having to sell,” “only buying world class players.” “we have a squad that can win the PL,” “I’m not afraid of spending,” “we can buy any player,” etc.

You’re trying to defend a compulsive liar.
He had the chance, according to himself, of going to Real madrid.
Why did he stay here if it was so bad?

3 Likes