Ruben Neves

How much are the better defensive stats due to the Wolves system/tactics, often averaging 40% possession and boosting the tackles/interception numbers?

The biggest thing I can see him having over Xhaka is nimbleness on the ball in tight spaces where Xhaka tends to go to water.

This is his trademark goal

Ā£40m is a big number. Not comfortable with that even though I think the player is better than Xhaka (but thatā€™s hardly saying much). Agree with ACM that heā€™s way more nimble with his feet and is a much quicker passer than that oaf Xhaka. The bottom line is that we would improve overall with this signing. Partey / Neves is better than Xhaka being in there.

His value in 2021 should be no more than Ā£20-25m though.

I wonder if they still want AMN. Could really bring the fee down if we managed to do one of those wildly unrealistic FM style ā€œplayer + cashā€ deals.

6 Likes

Maybe his defensive stats a bit inflated but then again maybe heā€™d have better offensive stats in a team with more possession. I think importantly when you buy a midfielder from lower table teams you have to look if they are technically good enough in possession and distribution to play in a possession based side.

2 Likes

Apparently they were talking Ā£80m for him a couple of seasons ago when Man City were inquiring. Heā€™s also only 24 so that gives you a player for 6-8 years perhaps

1 Like

I do feel like we need a functional passing #6 in Artetaā€™s system and thatā€™s not the ideal role for Partey. Iā€™m just not sure how I feel about paying more for Neves than we were willing to pay for Buendia.

1 Like

We have conflicting reports on this. Havenā€™t seen Fabrizio or Bell report it. Wolves are trying to ship this guy for a reason. Apparently they were asking for 30m when the news broke, tells you a lot about how much they rate him.

Theyā€™ve paid sums like these for Jimenez, Semedo and Fabio. :man_shrugging:

Why pay a PL premium for a mid table player? We are mid table, we donā€™t need more mid table players to go up.

This player needs to be matched to Partey with the assumption of having someone like Odegaard in front.

Basically, get us Santi.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a player losing form at a club and coming to the end of his cycle. Neves has shown an abundance of good talent during his time at Wolves and any down turn in form isnā€™t necessarily indicative of him not being a talent we should invest in.

If anything we can probably secure him for Ā£25m and thatā€™s an immediate upgrade on Xhaka. I think heā€™ll work well with Partey and whomever else we bring in to play ahead of them two.

This is a sensible transfer which may or may not happen but not one Iā€™m adamantly opposed to.

2 Likes

Heā€™s been losing form for 2 seasons thoughā€¦ :grimacing:
Surely thatā€™s not a good sign.
Even his breakthrough season in the PL wasnā€™t that special actually.

Tonali had a very underwhelming season for Milan, but i love his quality i think its worth a risk to buy him for 15 20 m.

Have Milan even activated their clause yet?

This would be a signing that cements us where we are: barely cracking top six.

Moutinho is a decade older and plays better for Wolves than Neves does, when weā€™re upgrading Xhaka why should it be a marginal upgrade?

This club manā€¦

2 Likes

Great talent but I think itā€™s a dead cert Milan take up their option They spent 10m euros on his loan so it was always obvious the deal was structured in a way to spread the cost and also to mitigate having a high outgoing transfer fee in the books.

Wasnā€™t a great season but heā€™s so young you just know heā€™ll blossom eventually.

Itā€™s not difficult to upgrade on Xhaka and at least Neves has played in the PL but the rumoured fee of 40m is ridiculous.

Itā€™s seems strange we lose out on Buendia who was 30m because Aston Villa bid 3m more than us, yet might pay 40m for Neves.

For that sort of money we should be getting more than a mid table player, weā€™ve got plenty of those already, and thatā€™s why weā€™re mid table.

1 Like

Liverpool spent lots of money on mid table Mane and VVD and it didnā€™t do them much harm. Only a couple of seasons ago Man City were looking at Neves btw

1 Like

We wonā€™t spend 40 million on Neves. People going for this on agenda bashing.

1 Like

He looked pretty decent a couple of seasons ago but doubt Man City are looking at him now that he has dropped down to our level after a couple of average seasons.

If we can get him for 25m, and sell Xhaka for 20m, that would be an acceptable piece of business but not really enough to take us up a level.

1 Like

Wolves were asking 80-90m 2 seasons ago from City. Now theyā€™re asking for 35m. I think he maybe a couple of levels above Xhaka, which in turn brings us up a level given Xhaka was our best. He has the technical ability to thrive at a bigger club.

It looks like the fee for Xhaka is 17m. Weā€™re also replacing a soon to be 29 year old with a 24 year old PL proven talent.

Difference is they have world class managers that extracted every drop from those guys.

Aso wouldnā€™t necessarily lump him in with them even when they were playing for those smaller clubs.

1 Like

Iā€™d personally take a player like this over whatever shit weā€™re likely to scout overseas and gamble on for Ā£10m less. Itā€™s all well and good saying there are better buys out there for the money but this club would actually have to make them first.

I havenā€™t watched any Wolves this year so canā€™t comment on his supposed bad form, but based on previous years I think he improves on Xhaka, Elneny, Ceballos and Willock so could still be a useful long term acquisition.

5 Likes