Ruben Neves

he’s not even good looking, he looks way older then he actually is and has very scary eyes

They’re waiting for us? Might be waiting a while.

I just don’t see how this summer has any sort of coherent plan so far. We were told there was money (a lot of money) and now they’re leaking we have to sell first? It’s just nonsense.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s what Gianluca is saying. He states that we first need to get a midfielder in(enter Neves) before we sell Xhaka.

1 Like

Neto is the only player we should be trying to sign from Wolves!

3 Likes

99% of what you read in the media is bullshit so if you take it as truth of course there won’t seem to be anything resembling a coherent plan.

Not to say that there is one - I don’t think Edu and Arteta have earned the benefit of the doubt there. But random crap from DiMarzio about Arsenal preparing a bid for whoever or needing to sell to buy - or in this case to buy to sell, which is a real headscratcher - shouldn’t move the needle in assessing whether Edu and Arteta actually have a reasonable plan.

2 Likes

To be fair, Di Marzio doesn’t chat crap. He has great sources. Used be one of the most popular names back in the day with transfers until Romano and Ornstein took Twitter by storm.
Romano references him often in his tweets.

For what is worth, just this summer he broke the news about Tavares. Even before the Portuguese media.

They said it’ll be an exciting summer, they have a different definition of exciting to me :sob:.

3 Likes

I do find it a bit funny how Man Utd fans are begging for Bissouma and Neves at DM/CM yet some of us think they are beneath us.
Maybe not so much for Bissouma because I still see fans wishlisting him but it’s always such a negative reaction towards Neves.

That Fred guy must be really shit.

United are absolutely dieing for a pure anchor to allow Ferrandes and Pogba to float and do what they want. Neves would actually be a really solid addition to their midfield. We should sell them Xhaka actually.

1 Like

He’s not as bad as he was when he first came to United that’s for sure.

1 Like

On Arsenal Mania

5 Likes

It worries me that the rumours are even this strong about him, shows that there is definitely some element of interest and that the board/coaching team think he is the level of quality we need.

Could be a worse signing than Xhaka.

I’ve actually accepted that we’ll end up signing him a week or two ago when we heard about Locatelli, given that would be a tough one to pull off.

Wanted us to go for Saul, and I wouldn’t mind Merino as a younger alternative.
Nevertheless, Ruben fits what the profile the club is looking for to a tee.

I think currently he is a step down from Xhaka but hopefully Arteta can improve him like he did with the former.
I didn’t used to rate Xhaka at all until recently so I want to give a chance to Ruben to change that too.

There’s no point, the queue is too long.
Although the queue to sign the pro Neves alliance is very short. :grinning:

Most likely it is an upgrade on Xhaka, question is how much. Neves’ passing and range is clearly better I think, but yes, questions on mobility. Similar situation maybe to Aouar also in that last season was not good for him and the cub he was playing for, and whether that was just a temporary dip or something more permanent.

Neves pretty clearly has a better repertoire of passing than Xhaka and also tackles a lot more frequently, which is one of the major problems with Xhaka. I think there is also some possibility that he could get better or recapture his initial form when played in a side that plays with the ball more. Wolves were such a shit team tactically, just always playing on the counter and sending every single ball out to the wings. There’s only so much chance for a passing/possession midfielder to hone or improve their game in that setup.

Even so, hard to get excited about a Neves signing, as it would suggest that we’re still planning to play with two relatively static DMs rather than putting a more dynamic 8 alongside Partey. I’d much rather roll the dice on Renato Sanches or someone similar.

1 Like

£35m is the absolute highest I would go

PL to PL tax though.
Will probably cost us more than Locatelli would. :grimacing:

Couldn’t even get into the Portugal side

1 Like

Yeah, he has fallen down the pecking order although it’s fair with his decline.
Carvalho, Danilo, Palhinha, Moutinho and Renato are all ahead of him currently.
With the talent that’s coming through in Portugal right bow it’s likely his days with the national team are numbered.