Robin van Persie

He was left a poor team by Ferguson and was given only enough money to by Fellaini.
All the other managers after him were given hundreds of millions for new players and none of them did any better than him.

2 Likes

The players thought Moyes was a joker. He sacked all of their well respected coaching staff. He got them watching videos of Everton defending and they thought WTF. RVP was hoping he’d get sacked.

It was only going to get worse for Moyes at Unuted

2 Likes

Wut? Moyes is on record as turning down signing Ozil. Imagine prime Ozil feeding RVP/Rooney/Hernandez

The sacking of the coaching staff was the most ridiculous thing he could have done.
This thing about the ageing squad is only a bit argument. They where champions ffs. As for Fellaini who else would have bought him other than Moyes.

3 Likes

Yep.
SAF squeezed the last run of those seniors and he left the declining United team for Moyes.

1 Like

I don’t buy it. You don’t go from winning the title to ending 6th place. It was basically the exact same squad.

Moyes was shit. That’s a more apt and true analysis rather than blaming the squad had aged one season later.

I am surprised how many people disregard coaching as the essence to winning trophies.

So often I come on forums and all I read is “we need x y z in this and that position, to compete for trophies!!!”

Then Leicester comes along, one or two excellent players and the rest squad guys, coached well, momentum and wins the league.

And even as for Liverpool and other clubs. You can have 2/3 top top guys and win it all, if you’re coached well.

Or look at Ajax of recent seasons. Advancing to semi finals. Playing scintillating football with mostly unknown players for most people at the time.

Reading forums is like you need 11 Ronaldo’s on the pitch and the coach is just for decoration.

I cannot stress enough. That squad Fergie won the league with and left behind was more then capable to at least end top 4 if not compete again for the league.

It was Moyes who was an absolute shambolic manager for them. Just like Ole is now.

5 Likes

I would have done the same if I were them.

They moved on and win the league with their new clubs. Arsenal still hasn’t won the league ever since.

I really cannot blame them. They had ambition greater than Arsenal could deliver at the time. So they left and I appreciate Van Cuntie for telling how it is. Very Dutch of him and I love for that.

They have only one shot at this, the club has forever the world and football exists.

1 Like

United did have an old squad and had an often injured RVP in that season tbf. And RVP did fire them to the title.

Leicester also benefited from teams pretty much rolling over for them that season. They started the season expecting a relegation battle and went on a run. We beat them home and away that season. Other teams could of done the same if they’d taken them more seriously.

Aging squad or not, if Fergie was still in charge I would bet my money on a United challenge. Fergie was just a really really good coach.

RvP was always injury prone.

Leicester won that year because no one else turned up. They still won it over 38 games and shame on Arsenal for not winning it in such a “weak” league.

Moyes was shit. Firing old coaching staff is shit managing. The rest is just evidence upon evidence for how shambolic Moyes was.

2 Likes

Fergie does better than Moyes obviously. But they were very reliant on RVP starting nearly every game and getting 30 goals. Without RVP they’d drop 10-15 points anyway. They also lost their midfield. Giggs/Scholes were gone now.

We had Giroud’s dry spell for the second half of the season and shitty old midfield partnership of old Arteta and old Flamini IIRC.

1 Like

Nonsense to suggest other teams just didn’t take Leicester seriously. They lost one other game outside of the games against Arsenal. They were an extremely efficient and defensively sound outfit with a decent to excellent attack.

Other teams were shite. That’s why they didn’t beat them. We just happened to be not shite early in the season and we basically got lucky in the home fixture.

3 Likes

It’s true, you have to have a great coach to win trophies but you also need the players and that’s why most supporters realised we needed Wenger to leave and get someone like Klopp, rather than persist with a manager that was clearly past his sell by date.

But even if you do have a great manager, you can’t win anything without great players and Leicester had great players even though they might not have been expensive.
No team has ever won a league title without very good players and when Leicester won it we came second because of our inability to buy a couple of quality players that we needed.

He wasn’t a great manager, and I certainly wouldn’t want him here, but he was supposedly hand picked by Ferguson.
If he’s bad, what does that say about LVG and Mourinho?
They’re two of the most experienced managers in Europe, who spent a billion pounds between them and weren’t mush better than Moyes.

What’s wrong with that?
When there are gaping holes in the first team and the lack of quality is staring you in the face, what other alternative is there?

3 Likes

Ferguson was an excellent game coach and could really make his players over perform when it mattered. The mistake Moyes did imo was that he fired the coaching staff. Obviously you want to put your own mark on the club, but maybe he should have taken that bit much slower. There was a great need for signing new players, but non of their targets seemed interested. Maybe this was down to the players undermining him? Sharing their thoughts to other players/friends in other teams? I don’t know, but such a big change (going from a manager who’s been there 20+ years and losing all his staff who breathed his ideas) would most definitely affect any player.

3 Likes

So you’re happy with him calling our club unambitious while he unceremoniously fcked off up north?

You know he could have just said “I’m leaving”?

Yes, I am happy about this.

But this is a cultural difference between Dutch and other nationalities. We don’t like to beat around the bush and we like to call a spade a spade, even if it is about our employer, friend or family. And I personally, LOVE this.

Fact was at the time, the club was unambitious and absolutely wasted top talent: Fabregas, Nasri, Van Persie and others during those years.

Glad someone had the balls to say it and went on to prove it by winning the league with his new club the next season.

4 Likes

I agree with some points you made, but this one I can’t. There is a lot wrong with that. Because ultimately you can have a Ronaldo in every position on the field. And still end up 8th in the table if the team is dysfunctional. So, when I go onto forums and read thread after thread blaming player x then player y, and that if only they were replaced, it would be the quadrupple next season.

Come next season, these players are replaced and the club still plays like turd on a wet Sunday.

Then the same people will moan again and demand new players. Surprised their new signings (presumably doing well at their previous club) are performing so poorly. Demanding new signings, upon new signings.

My point is. Coaching, is essential, more so than having player x y z come to your club.

I agree that coaching is more important than individual players and i would certainly prefer Klopp to any single player but I think it’s in a supporters nature to want better players, especially when the players you have are not good enough.

Me too.
I know RVP has offended a lot of Arsenal supporters but when he, and other top players leave and say the reason they left was because of the clubs lack of ambition or they were lied to when it came to investment in players, I’m glad.
The club should be blamed for losing our best players every season, not the individual players, who only want success.

He might have gone about it better but I don’t blame him for going to another bigger club to get the success he deserved.
It’s just a shame it was Man U and Ferguson which, again, is the clubs fault, not the player.

1 Like

Funny how Bergkamp, Overmars and Helder weren’t like this.

1 Like

Besides Helder, the other two won enough during their career. So why would they?

RvP with his talent was wasting his best years at Arsenal.

As for what I wrote about the cultural differences. This is a well established fact.

1 Like

Fair enough!

1 Like