Rob Holding

Thoughts?

• A good decision
  • No, we should have sold him

0 voters

Heā€™s not brilliant but heā€™s not rubbish, every team needs players like this who just come in and crack on.
Will never be world class and I think we need to adjust our mentality and realise we will not have a squad full of world class players but players like this until we start hitting the champions league again.

8 Likes

Fine with it as long as Chambers goes and Mav. Mari is a useful addition.

2 Likes

Canā€™t imagine he costs much per week, and is one of the few of our 100 CBs that I am happy with keeping.

Gabriel is the only sure thing at the position; and I canā€™t imagine we wonā€™t use Mari/Holding as a pairing with him for the rest of the year. If we can find another Gabriel on the other side, we laffinā€™

2 Likes

Neither in the picture at the moment anyway so why would that make any difference? :grin:

Room for others to come in. Donā€™t want levels of mediocrity all over the place.

1 Like

Be plenty of room when Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis are gone by the summer :grin: think itā€™s them you should be focusing on :crazy_face:

1 Like

Shite is shite mate.

Perfectly happy with this. Like @BergkampsLoveChild said heā€™s a good and useful squad player to have once we find a CB to pair with Gabriel.

Adequate until then.

2 Likes

Fair play to the guy. His career here has been up and down but he does seem to find a way to rise up.
Good first season under Arsene, mediocre second, good under Emeryā€™s first season, seriously injured in the second and now he is back to performing well for Mikel.

He has been subject to a couple of banter moments(got battered against Villa) but overall he has been one of our better performers this season.

Thereā€™s always better than him of course but I donā€™t think we have the capacity to have a squad filled with ballers at this stage.

How much are his wages ?

Miles better than your Mustafis and Chambers.
Kinda happy with this decision. He will probably not be a first team regular when Gabriel and Saliba unfold their potential, but great squad depth.
Also the shit hairline makes him look tougher and more mature. I like it. Our very own Steve Bould 2.0

1 Like

IIRC he is on very low wages. Probably among the lowest at the club.
I donā€™t think we ever renewed his deal after we signed him from Bolton which is crazy given the contracts weā€™ve given to jokers over the years.
Iā€™m sure he got a solid raise now. Probably closer to other senior players.

I think heā€™s the kind of player we need in the team. Solid, dependable, happy to sit on the bench when needed, team player.

Perfectly happy to renew him, we need more players like him to fill out our team and less players like Willian and Mustafi.

3 Likes

Under Ferguson United were rock solid at the back with regulars such as John Oā€™Shea, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans. Rob is a player of the same mould for me and that list just goes to show that such caliber of players can have their place in strong squads.

2 Likes

Ferguson was some coach wasnā€™t he?
Carried so many average players over the years.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see how anyone can be annoyed at Holding signing an extension (unless weā€™ve quadrupled his salary or something).

The club are doing something they should have done more often in the past, protecting a playerā€™s value. It doesnā€™t mean he is seen as a long-term starter.

7 Likes

Heā€™s also on the English quota thing that needs addressing.

3 Likes

Is Rob Holdini gonna shave his head this year?

• Yes
  • No
  • Getting a hair transplant in the summer

0 voters

1 Like