Rob Holding

Iā€™m not against this if he isnā€™t going to be a starter but if heā€™s a starter for this club then fuck no.

5 Likes

Honestly, Mari and Holding are the perfect back ups/squad players.

Perfectly happy for them to support Gabriel and Saliba/Luiz as our first choice CBs.

1 Like

I suppose we have Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz or at least 2 leaving. Chambers has been out for a year. Leaves us with Gabriel, Holding, Mari, Saliba. A bit thin on the ground if I havenā€™t forgot anyone

Heā€™d be getting an extension simply because weā€™ll be down to bare bones in the summer, no other reason.

Heā€™s been poor to average since racking up as many games as he has of late, ainā€™t no good form to speak of here.

Heā€™s been better than I thought he would be this season. He seems to be stronger as well.

1 Like

Should be given a new deal if the wages are reasonable, he shouldnā€™t be on anything over Ā£35k p/w. Very useful depth/rotational player

1 Like

Personally I feel like heā€™s one of the reasons weā€™ve been the worst we have ever been.

3 Likes

Think itā€™s time we actually cashed in on some good olā€™ English premium with Rob. Heā€™s a likeable character for me and Iā€™m not sure if his departure affects a home grown spot but Iā€™d soon mail him off if we had a nice figure thrown our way.

1 Like

Deeply concerned about this, Iā€™m tipping heā€™ll be overpaid wage wise and heā€™ll be in Artetaā€™s plans wage wise to play more minutes than he should be.

Only way this guy should be around long term at a club like ours is if heā€™s happy to accept minimal wage and be content with starting 5 games a year + domestic cup games.

1 Like

If we give him a new contract I might stop supporting Arsenal.

6 Likes

The spirit of Carl Jenkinson lives on

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Heā€™s not the one. Signing a guy his age to be a backup or squad player makes no sense. Move him out and letā€™s take a look at some younger CBs.

3 Likes

Yep, I get the feeling Arteta sees him as a potential longterm starter hence the contracts rumours, which will ultimately be huge X against Arteta for mine if true.

He was so close to getting transferred to Newcastle in the summer :cry:.

3 Likes

It was a season long loan not a permanent move

1 Like

Of our four projected centre backs next season one is going to be 20 and another one 23. How many young centre backs do you want? In my opinion it can no harm to have a little more experienced players next to them. Of course they donā€™t have to be shit, but I donā€™t see his age as a problem.

2 Likes

Ah my bad, maybe I was thinking if he did ok for Newcastle theyā€™d have signed him for 7 or 8 mill at seasons end.

1 Like

I guess it depends on the money heā€™s getting with this new contract. We donā€™t want to box ourselves into another Jenkinson situation. Or if that comparison is unfair, it could be another Gibbs. Holding is a perfectly serviceable backup but my fear is weā€™re creating a new class of players who are not the future and we wonā€™t be able move them when we want to.

Heā€™s signed a new contract (The Athletic)

3 Likes

Arsenal centre-back Rob Holding has committed his future to the club by signing a new long-term contract, The Athletic can reveal.

The 25-year-old was close to joining Newcastle United on loan last summer but is enjoying regular game time this season and has now extended a deal that was scheduled to expire in 2023.

Although his recovery from a serious knee injury suffered in December 2018 was not easy, Holding has made 17 appearances in 2020-21 and started each of Arsenalā€™s past 11 Premier League games.

The permanent signing of two central defenders in the last transfer window ā€” Pablo Mari and Gabriel ā€” looked ominous for Holding and The Athletic reported in August that a temporary move to St Jamesā€™s Park was near to being finalised.

Some at Arsenal were open to the Englishmanā€™s departure as it would guarantee him minutes on the pitch and reduce the size of a bloated squad, however manager Mikel Arteta intervened and never had any desire to sanction the transfer.

Holding is viewed by Arteta and Arsenalā€™s technical director Edu as one of their emerging leaders, and an important part of the clubā€™s future as they seek to build a squad blending senior professionals with top-class emerging talent.

1 Like