RIP Diego Maradona

I think people rated Cryuff and the Kaiser much higher in the early 80’s (I know they were in different era… still, very close), till the 86 WC (best in decade)

Don’t forget there was Platini as well.

2 Likes
8 Likes

RIP Diego

3 Likes

“Staggering £7,500”

These days some of these kids are on £100k before they’ve even played a professional game.

4 Likes

Sad news but I can’t say I’m overly shocked to wake up to it.

RIP Diego

If ever a post could sum up one man, this is it folks.

Don’t ever change bro.

Always gets forgotten but the clamour for him too be in the 78 squad was immense in Argentina.
17 years old at that time. Massive balls by Menotti to hold out on that.

2 Likes

RIP legend :cry:

2 Likes

Maybe it didn’t come across the right way over a text on a forum, it’s shocking and I hated waking up to hearing it.

I just meant he has had lots of health problems in recent times so the news hasn’t stunned me, I’m not saying it isn’t tragic.

5 Likes

I grew up idolising him as a player. The greatest of them all. Imagine a prime Maradona in today’s game, without getting kicked around and getting protection by the referees. He would give Messi a run for his money.

RIP.

5 Likes

I admire him a lot, because he played honest football most of the time (except the handball against England).
He got kicked for million times but every single time he tried his very best to maintain his balance and keep going forward.
I watched him for a decade or so, and I don’t remember if he ever cheated for a PK or FK something like that.
So many divers and actors in the past 10, 20 years.

7 Likes

Absolute icon of the game. RIP

7 Likes

WTF. I knew he was ill, but . . .

R.I.P. Maestro.

Turns out him and George Best died on the same date. Should retire the 25th of November out the calendar now.

4 Likes

Best player ever. Really sad to hear he’s gone. Total legend.

3 Likes

Damn, Pele better be careful on this date moving forward.

1 Like

@Stroller

You were right mate. BBC article has a full breakdown of his hand of God goal. It’s obsessive. His career was so much more than that.

4 Likes

Living a life of excess really can take its toll.

Young men really need more support when they’re in their 20s and 30s. It sets the tone for the rest of their lives.

60 is no age. Whether it’s Maradona or my neighbour- what a waste (as Ian Dury said)

6 Likes

Yeah I sadly noticed that too. Hand of God, Falkland islands, cocaine blah fucking blah.

3 Likes