RIP Diego Maradona

TBF the average London house price in 1980 was £24k and today it’s £666k. Both footballer wages and houseprices have gone up disprortionally compared to average wages

4 Likes

Football skills have gone down though.:wink:

2 Likes

Awful news. I can just about lay claim to having grown up watching the tail end of his career and maybe not for the right reasons USA 94 sticks out. He still fucking had it then in his mid 30s.

RIP legend.

4 Likes

What to say …
A cheat or a genius ?
A truly world class footballer . One of the greatest players to grace the global world of football . Brilliant brilliant footballer.
RIP Diego … Bergkamp was better :wink:

1 Like

Watched him in his prime - Rip !?

Maradona was great for a solid 10 years to be fair to him. He scored 43 goals in 45 games for Argentinos Juniors looking at his record in 1980. It’s probably fair to say to that the Argentinian and Brazilian Leagues were a lot less diluded in quality at that time since there were all kind of foreigners quota in Europe. One of the titles he’s won with Napoli was in 1990.

Not to mention the competition he had to deal with. Juventus with Platini/Laudrup, the Dutch trio at Milan. Don’t want to take anything away from Messi, but after Laporta got involved that club got it’s shit figured out and were always the biggest favourites to win stuff.

Looking at what Maradona did and who he went up against I’m of the opinion you have to give it to him to be honest.

7 Likes

I will vote Messi the best if he could lead Real Betis to the title, against Real and Barcelona.
We just never know, and he played with so many greats all these years.
What he can do alone, can never be told.
The fate would probably be like the Argentina NT… always fell short.

2 Likes

People still go on about that but conveniently forget all the dives and cheating that England players get up to.
Also, Maradonna was targeted in almost every game by defenders trying to make a name for themselves but he would often shrug tackles off, rather than going down too easily.

8 Likes

Take a look at a few Fenwick done in that game.

1 Like

RIP Diego. Footballing Legend. Only know him by name but still very sad.

If anyone is interested ^

3 Likes

Bought the dvd. Worth having for the extras that come with it too.

3 Likes

Fucking hell the Daily mail at it’s best again. Won’t post it but it starts with Diego Maradona a man who proved himself a cheat and a liar.
I didn’t get past that shit.

I think they were pulling the same shit when the great Billy Bremner died

Something about a secret love child he had :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It is also 15 years ago today that the REAL goat died, George Best…Heavens got the makings of a great team you know…RIP Diego, and George, both will be sorely missed…

2 Likes

Mr Miyagi died on this day, too, didn’t he?

1 Like

For me , the greatest player was George Best
A genius , a superstar, unplayable but sadly carried alcoholism throughout his career .
Sadly he never graced a World Cup , the media destroyed him .
Vincent by Don McClean was Bests favourite song as it described his life and career .

2 Likes

4 Likes

Listened to a interview with Glenn Hysén: (All said with joy and respect I might add).

You where terrified playing against him…we had to be three guys on him at times…Maradona was so physically strong, he had legs like logs…in one-on-ones and when you tried to tackle him on the pitch he just wouldn’t fall over, he just kept on going. But as soon as he saw the white line of the penalty box, his balance disappeared and he fell like timber…but everyone knew he would…so even if it was a clear penalty he didn’t always get it.

2 Likes

5 Likes