Red Dead Redemption 2

@JakeyBoy

I was the same as you, I was so disappointed with it the first 6 hours or so that I played and then it really clicked for me. I absolutely love it, I think it’s brilliant.

The scenery, the dialogue, the characters, the various towns and cities, the pacing. It’s a very complete experience and game and you don’t have to do a lot of the micro management type stuff if you don’t want to.

I only have time to play on the weekends and I only play the main missions and side missions, I don’t really explore or do any of the hunting stuff because I literally don’t have time for it but I still enjoy it very very much.

3 Likes

Just completed RDR2 and I am in awe of this game. Slow burner at the start but after that it becomes an immersive experience.

Easily the best looking game ever made (on console at least). The world is just stunning from the open plains to the snowy mountains, and everything inbetween.

The storyline starts slow then absolutely grips you, especially towards the end. Even the epilogue after the game ends is around 12 hours long and leaves you with another touching ending.

Genuinely a classic IMO. Up there with any AAA title, a timless.

I’d urge anyone to complete this game and give it the time it deserves. If you’re playing in 4k, even moreso. Genuinely breathtaking.

7 Likes

Game is trash tho put it down after the 2nd mission. I want my money back. Gotta go hunt and bring home food for ur pixelated family, and then some bitches are always nagging u about doing some bull shit. I have to do that IRL don’t need it in my game too.

5 Likes

looool ain’t that the truth

2 Likes

Lol

1 Like

I hope I get into it, havent played in a few weeks. I think I find the mechanics a little boring now, the shooting feels really samey and not very challenging at all. Riding horses is pretty fucking tedious too

No denying that the game looks fucking beautiful though.

1 Like

Reading comments like MM’s makes me want to try and push through to see some of this epicness I keep hearing about. But like Jake says the monotony in the game is real.

Ultimately it just isn’t fun.

2 Likes

No point persevering. There’s too many games and life is too short to put that amount if time in a game you don’t enjoy.

Fuck it

1 Like

My main thought on the monotony, and I love RDR2 btw, is that it’s kind of necessary to make the world feel more real. And it works IMO. The downside is that you have to have the time and perseverance to see the effect/ benefit.

Putting the amazing story and characters aside, I’ve heard people complain about how everything takes ‘too long’ because everything has a real-time animation- looting bodies, cleaning guns, gutting animals etc. Fair point but IMO that’s a dose of realism which subconsciously immerses you further into the world- if you want to loot 20 bodies after a gunfight, just accept it’ll take a while and reinforcements will probably show up and shoot the shit out of you while you decide whether you want another fucking pocket watch.

For me RDR2 felt like a step forward in gaming realism (and again I hesitate to use that word for obvious reasons), but in fairness I played the shit out of it whilst off work with flu so the grind didn’t bother me.

I totally get that it’s frustrating at times but those frustrations kind of make sense in that world and force you to think almost as the character rather than the player and that did something to me in how I played the game. For a start I actually knew all the character names by sight which is seriously rare for me in games- I usually just don’t care that much or pay enough attention.

Worth persevering though IMO.

3 Likes

I’m just playin tho, I don’t like to talk shit on something that someone enjoyed. Tbh if anything I’m feeling like @Electrifying atm, and when there’s a lull in games to play I’ll revisit RDR2 and see if I can’t grind it out.

Don’t play many mmos eh? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m too shite at them

Yes there isnt fast travel but I’m glad there isn’t in a game like this. Actually there is fast travel from your camp only, and you can use trains for anything else. For me this is what makes the game even more immersive tbh.
Also you can just set a waypoint on your map, get on your horse and put it in cinematic mode - your horse rides there itself with no button input…

This game is too good to be rushed. I’ve always been a fan of Wild West from being a nipper, my dad used to watch them all so maybe it appeals to me more than others.

However this game got 10/10 across the board so it can’t be that tedious surely.

If you like a good story with great graphics and good characters, you wont be dissapointed completing this game.

1 Like

Whether something is tedious is completely subjective innit. The majority didnt seem to think it was, but as you can see it isn’t just one person in this thread who has said they were a bit bored, so there’s probably something to it.

Video games always divide opinions and everyone has their own tastes. Many people find management sims like FM to be boring as fuck because it isnt a million miles from choosing to spend your free time scouring spreadsheets lol, but I think it’s fucking engrossing. Ive always found shit like Final Fantasy and other RPGs to be dull shite, but many think they’re some of the best games in history.

Some people play fucking farming simulators for fun, I’d rather spend a couple hours searching for my prostate with a rusty fork.

There’s no objectively correct opinion on any game, it’s all about personal preferences and taste.

3 Likes

Heathen fuck.

Dont diss stardew valley its the most addictive game this generation.

Stopped playing Rdr2 just due to the fact if I finish it I probably wont touch it again an I am just going to wait till it comes out on ps5 has then it will be a lot more complete game like when gta v came to next gen

1 Like

Stardew Valley :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, in 4k it’s absolutely stunning. I need to do so much more to actually get into the proper story of it all. I’ve just been hunting in the wilderness with the great western soundtracks by ennio morricone playing through spotify while I roam around, with cinematic view on, it’s like playing through a film, fucking love that about it.

3 Likes

@Midfield_Maestro @DennisTheGod If you guys ever do this as ive described, go to the snowy mountains far west of the map where you start out, and put on “Il Triello / The trio” by Ennio Morricone. It is an absolutely fucking phenomenal piece of music. If I was ever a boxer I’d enter the ring to it. Just the last minute of it alone on a good soundsystem puts the hairs up on the back of my neck.

4 Likes

I only mention it because in mmorpgs, to get better gear, or learn new skills, you have to do a lot of mundane boring shit. It’s literally called grinding. Although not gonna lie, I have a lot of fine memories of all night grind sessions fueled by Monsters and flaming hot Cheetos 🖒🖒😁

1 Like

I have a bachelor’s degree, am reasonably respected in my profession, own my own home, have a wife and child and am a legend of the 4th largest Arsenal community on the internet, but some of my finest personal achievements and happiest childhood memories are still to do with bosses I’ve killed and flowers I’ve picked in MMOs 15 years ago.

9 Likes