Random football stuff

By continuing to attempt to qualify for it…

5 Likes

How brave…

I suppose it depends on what we mean by ignored.

I feel like it kinda can be ignored and will be.

Im 50 50 on this. Too see a football team take independent action is kind of good. Obviously the fact it’s in a competition your trying to achieve in counter acts it somewhat.
Just need to let it run a bit further and see where it ends up. It’s more positive than negative imo.

3 Likes

You’d need every single major country to demand the WC is played in a different country or some shit.

I don’t think these are empty platitudes. Don’t FAs get fined for making political statements? I seem to recall England not being allowed to have a poppy emblem on their shirt a while back, and it causing a stir.

Standing up for human rights in this way at least raises the profile of the issue, gets people engaging with the problem. It’s better than doing nothing, even if in the end it achieves nothing.

3 Likes

The thing is that football associations around the world have had ages to highlight this and put pressure on the Qatar royal family. Instead there has been fuck all said about it from those who run the game, just silly posturing like this. Two of the biggest clubs in Europe, Barca and PSG, have gladly took the money, with PSG essentially a marketing tool for the 2022 world cup and the royal family.

I see no practical benefit to this whatsoever. Everyone already knows about the slave labour and deaths and fuck all has happened, people (myself included) will still watch it and everything will continue as normal. Just gives these football associations a reason to pat themselves on the back.

6 Likes

One of the podcast I listen to had a Norwegian journalist on to discuss this topic. All of what we’re seeing with Norway is because fans have pressured their clubs board.

Any decision on Norway competing in the World Cup will be made in June. The Norwegian FA have made it that way.

Norway and Germany have made a bit of a statement. Start small and with more dissenting voices the pressure should increase.

But just like how Norway’s potential boycott is fan-driven, it will take the fans of other countries to do the same. That’s unlikely.

1 Like

The pressure on who? And to what end?

I’m not trying to be snide here, I’m genuinely asking.

Says alot about us as a society

2 Likes

To who? Unsure.
To what end? See the first answer.

No one has said anything too controversial just yet. It will take regular fans to get that message across. Aimed at their own federation initially.

1 Like

I really don’t follow lol

I’m unsure what Germany and Norway want to do and I don’t know what their end goals are.

The Norwegian fans on the other hand have a much clearer message.

1 Like

Ahh, OK. Yeah I was more referring to the players here with my questions, I understand a fan protest more.

Thanks for your patience lol

1 Like

I feel like this post should end with ‘‘Kind Regards, JakeyBoy’’

11 Likes
3 Likes

I like the jokes but I appreciate the teams who are brave enough to take a stand against corruption and human rights abuse, regardless of how ineffective the stance is

Some classic moments here, Fergie’s ‘fuck off’ always gets me :wright:

Well deserved for Kelechi.

He’s been great and certainly proved me wrong

3 Likes

Been a good month for him absolutely, a lot more to do though.

1 Like