Random football stuff

Yeah but I doubt Vela takes it that serious though, he knows it’s his thing. He used to bring down Maxwell too and they are best friends.

So he’s basically playing a character? It’s like the folks in professional wrestling who play the heels. They do all this outlandish stuff because it gets people talking about them but they aren’t actually that person in their private life.

1 Like

Yeah definitely something like that. I mean he is naturally a confident person but yeah, maybe a bit like WWE guys. And with a persona like that you are all in, you can’t just start being all humble and shit yet, maybe when he gets older. I would guess Americans would see the fun in it a bit more, it seems to be a bit more common to act it out your confidence like that in America. So I guess that’s why he had to go bigger than usual and buy a whole page in the LA times that just said “dear Los Angeles, You’re Welcome” when he moved there. I laughed when I saw it but I get that people just shake their heads at it as well lol

Jus to name one example he is close friends with some of the most humble athletes we’ve ever produced here, such as Henrik Larsson and hockey player Peter Forsberg, the types that definitely are on the opposite end of the spectrum. maybe it doesn’t say anything to other people but it’s a tell for us here lol

1 Like

What the fuck? He is just trash talking. More isn’t too it lol :joy:. I highly doubt Zlatan has thought that deep about it that is he ‘mocking’ the culture he grew up in.

1 Like

I like how I go through a long explanation that this is culturally rooted where I’m from and another guy who is also from the same country goes yes spot on and you go: no.

lol

3 Likes

But trash talking goes hand in hand with sports. Especially for him since I think he grew up in ‘lesser’ neighborhoods. That shit is normal, whilst playing football with your mates etc. I think this explanation of it being rooted in culture is just waaaaaay overboard. You act like Zlatan invented some sort of wheel.

Then I think you missed the point of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looool. It’s always this when ‘flaws’ are pointed out in someone’s argument. ‘You missed the point’. Nah mate. Your point is just rubbish. Or you aren’t used to anything.

Now I just think you haven’t read my posts properly either :slight_smile: or any of the posts the other Swedes posted in here either lol

2 Likes

Sigh. I’ve read your post. Again it’s not originated from/rooted in (Swedish) culture. Conor McGregor uses the same tactics, he is Irish. I reckon you know who he is?

Or are Irish and Swedish culture very similar?

When you played football with your mates you never talked shit too each other?

I don’t even understand what you are trying to argue. He didn’t invent being cocky lol Yes I know who McGregor is, no I have no idea if Swedish or Irish culture are similar. You have no clue what you’re arguing against here so just stop it. This guy is so famous in our country and he has been all my life as we’re the same age that just by reading a few news sources every day throughout my life I unwillingly know more about this guy than I do about my gf of 10 years.

I wasn’t kidding when I said he has a word named after him in the dictionary, “zlatanera” meaning something like “to dominate” which is based on how relentlessly cocky and confident he is, and if you don’t know what jantelagen is which the two above posters have mentioned you don’t know what you are arguing against in the first place so just give it up lol

The point isn’t that he talks shit. The point isn’t that he invented it at all, of course he didn’t. The point is he grew up in an enviroment that is the opposite but he just did it even more and eventually started winning people over and so it became his thing. And he over-does it. Because it is hilarious.

Read that thing Ocke posted, it explains it very well, it’s deeply rooted in Sweden, and notice that it is as if Zlatan is doing the exact opposite of everything in that post all the time and he does it so excessively it borders on being silly.

1 Like

I perfectly understand what you are saying that is why I’m not agreeing it’s a cultural thing. Because in the Netherlands this sentiment, it’s not that different from what you are talking about. We have a saying here which roughly translates to ‘just act normal, than you act crazy enough’. Another is something (literal transformation) like don’t stick your head above the corn(?)field. I.e. conform, don’t act out etc.

saying it’s not a cultural reaction is a bold statement when you don’t understand the culture though isn’t it.

1 Like

Mate. I’ve just said that the things you and Ocke have been talking about is the same where I grew up. Northwestern Europe is not that culturally diverse (anymore) tbh. Not too burst your bubble.

then you would’ve never said it is just trash talking. That perfectly shows you don’t lol that is not how we trash talk here. at all. Well, not until that guy came along at least. now doing it is a word lol

Just trust me. He would be, and without comparison, the most loathed person in our country if he was serious.

1 Like

You really make it seem like the (‘white?’) populous of Sweden isn’t used to any kind of trolling (probably the better word)/trash talking at all :joy:.

Anyone who takes Zlatan seriously needs a check up.

1 Like

Well we are now but that kind of trolling wasn’t funny, arrogance and over-confidence is seen as some of the worst traits in a person here, but a lot has happened in the last 20 years. He has probably single-handedly changed the culture here quite a bit by sticking to his guns on this persona he does. And while he has won most Swedes over (or atleast people understand it now whether they like him or not), there are still people out there who can’t stand the arrogance. If people understood how he triggers all these subtle nerves in the Swedish nervous system you’d have an easier time identifying how it is trolling by excessive self-idolisation at all times that is the thing. And he clearly picked up on how it boosted his brand, especially as he became quite the successful footballer and sort of backed it up.

1 Like

Followed by wall of text

And several more walls of text

1 Like

it was also directly followed by a “nah, but” that you didn’t include. and yes to the rest. see why I was indeed reluctant lol