Raheem Sterling

Theyā€™ll pay it and itā€™ll be a great addition for them.

would be a very good signing for Chelsea, way better then what they currently have

1 Like

Sterling is a significant signing for Chelsea and a massive upgrade on their attack.

I canā€™t believe we didnā€™t make more of an attempt to get him and Iā€™m sure Man City would have rather sold him to us than a closer rival.

If we were willing to pay around 60m for Raphina then surely we could have offered at least the same for Sterling who is a better player, scores more goals and who has played with Jesus and worked with Arteta.

1 Like

He wasnā€™t interested in us, it was a non starter

There has to be more to it than CL/European pedigree.

Chelsea is not a hugely bigger proposition compared to Arsenal for a player like Sterling

1 Like

What about PL title winning pedigree?

As far as biggest trophies are concerned its not really comparable between the two.

What else is going to be in it apart from them being more likely to win the bigger trophies? And it seems like it was a bigger proposition as he reportedly wasnā€™t interested.

I just hate competing with Chelsea, theyā€™re obviously not a bigger club but they can write blank cheques so we always come in second best. Hopefully that changes over the next decade

Arteta made Sterling. But fine, go play Tuchel ball, see if we care.

1 Like

I donā€™t know but I donā€™t think the forecast for Chelsea is much better than Arsenalā€™s over the next 5 seasons to the point Sterling reportedly was never even considering coming here.

Itā€™s right that Chelsea have a better recent record wrt major honours but this current side wonā€™t be close to City/Liverpool next season. Maybe he got a silly offer with his wages? I donā€™t know

If we upped Jesusā€™ youā€™d imagine Chelsea upped Sterlingā€™s significantly too. I wouldnā€™t actually mind seeing what theyā€™ve offered Sterling tbh.

Sterling, Jesus and Saka would have been one the best attacking line ups in the PL so we should have gone all out to sign him.

It would also have meant weā€™d have stopped one of our closest rivals getting him.

1 Like

If Sterlingā€™s on Ā£300k a week as reported now I can absolutely see why the club wouldnā€™t want to match that or increase it for a player turning 28 at end of the year.

Thatā€™s if he didnā€™t even out right refuse to come here which is also realistic.

We done amazing to land Jesus. Both for Ā£100m plus Ā£550k a week wages was probably-rightly- a bridge too far for where we are right now as a club

Hate the fact Chelsea are signing him.

1 Like

Iā€™m not actually as bothered as I would have been a year ago. I think Chelsea was the worst team he could have gone to from the top 5 of last season and thatā€™s largely because of how Tuchel approaches matches and how sterile the football is.

I know people point to his England form under Southgate but I think thatā€™s different because;

A) international football is 80% filler matches
B) the football tends to go through Sterling a lot and Southgate gives him some freedom to move about a bit

I also happen to think his body might actually be wearing on him a little. He actually wanted a move abroad and that couldnā€™t happen for financial reasons so Iā€™m not even sure how much his heart really wanted the Chelsea move.

3 Likes

Iā€™m starting to think that it is the issue for us (a lack of), because for a player at the age of 28 we havenā€™t been in the CL the latter half of his professional career, almost. I think for them we arenā€™t really that club nowadays. Not that it couldnā€™t change but theyā€™ve got to be considering that theyā€™ve one good 3y contract left in themā€¦

2 Likes

Yeh these are pretty much my thoughts. No disrespect to the player because I am a fan of his talent and I think heā€™s risen through a lot of adversity in his career.

Saying that I would not be surprised if he went to Chelsea and kicked his feat up and relaxed.

Saying that if he does go there and smashes it- in spite of Tuchels awfulball then Iā€™ll gladly eat humble pie and my respect for him as a player and person will only increase.

They shouldnā€™t be allowed to sign anyone. Bastards

1 Like