Racism & Sexism (etc) discussion

It’s only Nottingham Trent, they’re probably doing him a favour in the long run

9 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Yep. The same way I don’t believe prison is an effective deterrent I don’t believe punishment like this is an effective way to teach people.

If he was racist beforehand, he’s hardly going to take a step back and think “I’m not racist now, thanks to having my university offer withdrawn”.

Early intervention and education wins most of the times. Use this as an opportunity to create better programs to educate people and guide them don’t just throw the book at them because it’s an easy PR win.

4 Likes

They could’ve just made his offer conditional on dome sort of course where it’s spelt out to him why it’s fucking silly to hold those views.

Also, university is such a diverse experience I really doubt he would’ve still held them by the time he graduated…

2 Likes

Thing is the uni probably gets slaughtered if they keep him on.
It’s going to take progressive thinking and endorsement from an anti racist group to get here.
They’ll be fall out but it’s probably the next important step to be discussed.

2 Likes
5 Likes

That’s a tough one. U18s means they’re minors right?

Huge opportunity to teach them why what they did was wrong and step up to be an example to others.

On the other hand, it’s also an opportunity for them to learn about consequences.

3 Likes

It’s an opportunity missed for sure.

1 Like

It’s the next part of the discussion that’s needed now for progress.

Growing up in the 90s and 00s it was beat into me at school by pretty much every single teacher that racism is terrible, so unless education has somehow massively changed for the worse since then or teachers in white areas just don’t bother, I don’t think you can somehow educate this out of people as if they don’t know it’s wrong.

9 Likes

Adding the monkey emojis in the chat was pretty deliberate. Don’t think awareness was an issue.

There is no education needed here.

I find it sad that you think people are irredeemable.

I didn’t say they are irredeemable. I am saying that it isn’t a matter of education that would redeem these guys.
They would need to do it via their behaviour.
If they got off punishment by attending a couple of lectures, I would have laughed.

PS - You know me, I am against people losing their jobs.

I wouldn’t do that. I’d make them all sit in a room with all the black players/staff at the club, and have a conversation. That’s education. Actually make them face the consequences of the things they said.

I’m sure there are lots of anti-racism programs in the area. Make working with them a condition of your place at the club.

It doesn’t have to be a lecture to be education.

1 Like

That sounds like punishing the black players and staff to me.

6 Likes

Feels very much like putting people who speed on driving awareness courses.

They know it’s wrong but they do it anyway because they think it’s fine. Then you tell them about why it’s wrong and what can happen then they’re more careful about being caught, not more careful because they know they’re wrong.

You’re never telling a 17/18 year old that what they think is harmless nonsense among friends is actually harmful to others.

They know it’s wrong, that’s why they’re doing it in private whatapp groups or sly whispers and not overtly around other races. They know if they went up to a black coach in real life and we’re doing this shit that their careers would also be over.

Unless you have a fool proof way of permanently changing attitudes it just feels like a waste of time. If you make any change to these guys it’ll be to turn them into people that don’t get caught talking shit on mediums that can be screenshotted and shared and ruin your career, not that their attitudes are fundamentally wrong and now they understand why and will now live an open minded life.

7 Likes

This feels right to me

Not sure how much value education in retrospect has when the extent of their comments has been exposed nationally. The process would be very flawed.

Their status as “minors” is pretty irrelevant too. If they’re old enough to understand the negative connotation of monkey and lynching references as racial insults they understand right and wrong already.

Hopefully this situation and fall out is the educational case study for others moving forward.

This

Men keep falling behind

1 Like