Racism & Sexism (etc) discussion

Yet it will still be men who decide what women can and can’t do with their own bodies

1 Like

Not for much longer according to this article haha

In any case I saw a study referenced on a thread on Twitter that indicated women in Texas had voted for the abortion ban in higher proportions than men. I think it was something along the lines of 47% of men voted for it and 49% of women voted for it.

As in by 2030 or like in 40 years time?

America is fucked top to bottom though.

I think around 2030 looks realistic.

The problem right now are religious boomers in their 60s and 70s who will start dying off over the next 10 years, at point millennials and Gen X’ers in their 40s and 50s will take over and there will be a great shift in social policies I think.

Obviously not as liberal/progressive as say Western Europe but definitely much better than where they’re at now.

But ultimately the approval for it came down to men.

I’m not saying women don’t support it by the way. I’m half Irish. My family are catholic. I have family who would literally disown me if I ever got an abortion.

But it’s still an issue I feel strongly on. Even though I would never get an abortion personally, I need the choice to be there.

I was reading about it. Did you know the punishment for getting an abortion in Texas is worse than the punishment for rape? That is so fucking backwards.

But at the end of the day they are acknowledging what half the female population wants.

That said, the whole abortion law in Texas, especially the 6 weeks notice is just plain lunacy. How the fuck did they all agree to it.

Yeah I know women voted for it. Like I said, I have family who want a complete blanket ban on abortion over here.

But I don’t care. I will continue to tell them and any woman who agrees with it that they are wrong.

And it is also wrong that men have the final vote on anything like this. If abortion is illegal, then father abandonment should be made illegal too. And punishable by the same jail sentence.

1 Like

But instead of looking at them as men, you are supposed to look at them as representatives.
If these representatives knew voting for abortion ban would lead to vote losses, they wouldn’t have voted for it.
They knew their biggest vote bank wants it and even if it was a woman in their places, the outcome would have been the same.

Rural Americans are so religiously backward that even 3-6 months split is not acceptable to them.

1 Like

I’m for abortion, to an extent. Like being too young can’t afford assault. I hate this culture of just doing it because their partner is a selfish cunt who hates condoms. That thing grows into something that would make you laugh and forget about everything else in the world.

But anyway, in their religious eyes, abortion is killing a child that’s why it’s illegal, struggle to see how leaving the child with a parent and alive shares the same punishment.

An observation on the original post which isn’t a disagreement that there’s a discussion here just, it’s been known for like 20 years that guys especially working class guys are bummed by every system, and whenever it’s brought up this happens and its so swiftly forgotten. Always has been. I remember it was all in the news a few months ago for a day then nothing. Happens every year like clockwork.

From articles I’ve seen, it seems religion is on the up in America, which is the opposite of almost all European countries.

In America, it is still used as a tool, especially on the right in politics, because if you have someone telling you that you will be punished by their invisible friend, if you don’t obey them, it holds a bit more weight than some sleazy politician.

This, and flag waving, are used very effectively to get people to do what they want.

2 Likes

It takes two to make a baby. So if men decide that a woman is forced to have the child then the man shouldn’t have the option to leave.

I don’t mean in general by the way. Just in places where men decide that a woman who is raped should be forced to have that child

I sort of get where you’re coming from to a point, but you think the woman is going to want her rapist to stay with her to look after the child?

50 yr old man with three children.

Embarrassing

A custodial sentence for that?

This is one of the few times that I actually agree. He’s 50 years old, he’s got children and he actively racially abused people and made a video about it.

Deserved in this case.

1 Like

He won’t serve any time though. Unless he is an idiot and continues to send racist abuse.

What is he suspended from for 12 months? Attending matches?

His custodial sentence was suspended i.e If he does anything else within the next 12 months, he’ll go and serve those 60 days.

4 Likes

So as long as he behaves, the custodial part of the sentence won’t come to pass, which doesn’t seem overly harsh really.

1 Like

Agreed, and I actually think the suspended sentence could have been longer than 50 days, since he’d only serve it if he’s a repeat offender thereby proving it wasn’t a one off “mistake”.

Not that I personally can understand how you could do that as a mistake but still