Premier League 2022/23

Jesus Christ can nobody on this board read? They were entering a down cycle. Milan detonated that scudetto team with Zlatan and co.

So you are saying after having just won the league Milano came second the following season having just been pipped to title is entering a down cycle? Its not the way I saw it that season at all.

1 Like

That’s the best part about football. We all see it differently.

Well seeing as I probably watch more of Serie A than the PL and more so in the period you speak of,Milano were only 2 points worse off coming second than when they won the title and they were playing brilliant football, so in my eyes and memory and probably just about every Milano fan they wouldn’t call it a downward cycle.

3 Likes

But what happened to that team? They blew it up just as Juventus were hitting their stride. It doesn’t negate the good work Conte did, but like I said, he had certain advantages at Juventus. While Juve were printing money with their new stadium, Milan were selling players off and getting their pants pulled down over a takeover (remember Mr. Bee?).

It doesn’t cheapen the scudettos Juve won but it’s not like the 2010s were some golden era for Italian football.

And not that it matters but I also watched more Serie A than PL at that point too because the games were on ESPN3 (which was online) and I didn’t have a tv to watch PL coverage.

I don’t remember Milan blowing it up at all or it going like that. All their veterans (They had like 4-6) retired or left at the same time, there was a popular video about it. The new guys they bought in didn’t come close to cutting it. Zlatan was the big departure I believe to balance the books. But I don’t recall them giving up on competing (They tried their luck on Balotelli wasn’t it?)

Found the video, forgive me for the music.

1 Like

It wasn’t like that though right at the time period we are mentioning, it was probably what it’s called a downward spiral, maybe it’s just semantics but Juve were another level, it seems like you are saying just because Man City and Liverpool have been flying high for a few seasons everyone else has been shit.
If you look at the league table in Italy for the past 10 years and take out Juventus it hasn’t been predicable has it?

Zlatan and Silva were the big sales. They didn’t even try to replace them. They were at the end of a cycle.

@Jesseviolin All I’m saying is that just as Milan were fading and Inter were signing guys like Walter Gargano, Samuel and Schelotto, Juventus were on the up.

If I remember they got Mexes already then signed that Zapata fellow. They were meant to be the replacements. But it’s hard replacing one of the best defenders ever.

How much more do you want to get wrong before you stop? Walter Samuel was signed in the mid 00s and is one of the best defenders I’ve ever seen in an Inter shirt.

Of course it is and I’m not saying they attempted to tank like in the NBA or even do a version of what Arsenal tried by stripping the team down. It was just an end point, they sold the guys worth selling and tried to move forward.

And even then, Juventus still had to win their games. It doesn’t take away from their victories, but it was just a little extra good fortune. That stuff matters.

Lmao fuck off @SRCJJ Samuel was 35 in 2012. He was toast. He was good. But he was old. You’re right he was signed before that because he was part of their Mourinho teams. There was another old defender they signed around 2012 maybe from Napoli. I’m blanking on his name.

Samuel signed for Inter Milan in 2005 mate. What on earth are you talking about. He was 27 years old. Idiot.

Wrong again he was in his mid 20s

1 Like

In 2012?

When they signed him. You said they started signing guys like Gargano and Samuel which is stupid. They were signed 8 years apart.

You edited your post you said he was 35 when Inter signed him

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking of Hugo Campagnaro, blanked on the name. My mistake. I have so much fun arguing with you, I got sloppy and posted without finishing my thoughts. I’m in the middle of housework rn so I have to type on my phone and sometimes get interrupted.

Yeah @Jesseviolin no shit I edited my post. Because not only was that Inter team getting old (Cambiasso, Chivu, Zanetti) they were also making bad signings.

What happened to the Milano conversation? We’ve gone to Inter now? How about Udinese and Napoli just to prove Conte feel into a bucket of shit and came up smelling of roses.

That’s not my argument and has never been my argument.

The only thing I said was that he got a little lucky that the other teams were going into down cycles. I’ve repeatedly said it doesn’t negate the success he had.

Anyone who won that sorry club Roma the Scudetto is a legend. Capello must of aged several years :joy:

2 Likes