Pre-2000s Football

Haha what? RVP was good, but he was one footed and rarely scored with his head in addition to being fragile and not very strong. Batigol apart from being ambidextrous, was a monster, rarely ever injured and was scoring goals against defences that had Maldini, Costacurta, Desailly, Thuram, Nesta, Cannavaro, against goal keepers like Peruzzi, Pagliuca etc… I wouldn’t say they were in the same league, Batistuta was a different level.

3 Likes
4 Likes

When you put it like that you make me realise how much I’m not giving him enough credit haha. I rate Batistuta as the best striker of the 90s not named R9.

Incredible player and one of the very best. I rank him ahead of RVP anyway but your post reminded me of how great he truly was.

1 Like

What about that period where RVP was scoring a goal a game for 12 months? 6 months before we sold him, RVP was on fire then. Then he pretty much carried United to that PL title

1 Like

The thing about RVP is he started life as a 10

1 Like

But he wore a 12

Yeah man people forget that Serie A was the greatest league of the 90s all the best players, played in Italy. Plus when you factor in that he played for Fiorentina which was a mid table team a best that had like 3 notable players it’s even more impressive.

I mean Diego Forlan also had a season where he was the joint European golden boot winner. Not knocking RVP Because he’s clearly better than Forlán, he was a very talented and elite forward, but Batistuta is in that special class of player league reserved for the best of the best in that position.

1 Like

Anyway, I’m not gonna defend RvP’s abilities any more in this thread.

He’s a cunt. He’ll only get one complimentary post out of me

1 Like

@SRCJJ

2 Likes

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/barcelona-5-atletico-4

Great article

1 Like

@SRCJJ Was he an elite player back in the day?

2 Likes

Amazing player. His legends has grown post retirement. Probably more appreciated now than he was in his time.

I’m not sure how much Serie A @SRCJJ followed between 95-98 but Del Piero was top tier back then and as an import a component of that Juve team as Zidane was. He dropped off majorly after his 98/99 injury and never regained his pace

If you want to know how good he was considered, remember Roberto Baggio was moved on by Juve to accomodate him

2 Likes

The problem with players like ADP and Totti is that they continued playing for so many years past their prime that a lot of people never really got to remember them for what they were at their peaks.

I’ve seen people say Totti was overrated but the Totti I grew up watching was one of the best players on the planet. An extremely talented player who had great level of versatility in attacking positions and had some outstanding seasons in different systems under different managers.

3 Likes

Speaking of Baggio - is he one of the few players that seemed to have a stint at all the major Italian clubs? Certainly done the rounds from what I can remember :grin:

1 Like

Totti… hehh… He and Pirlo are the best offensive Italian players I’ve watched, by a margin. Haven’t watched Del Piero in his prime.

What was impressive about Totti… damn… whan an absolute football genius. He had the positioning of an elite nuber 9 like Inzaghi, so good in the box… remeber catching a few games of him when I just started watching football I thought he was a striker for a while. But also regarding his vision and passing he’s as good as Pirlo, could easily play as a DLP and ofen did play very deep as a number 10 with absolute freedom.
Among the very best playmakers I saw, but also managed to win the European golden boot in 2007 when he played that false number 9 role. Says a lot about him. Just that heroic, comic book, Tsubasa style number 10.
I just loved his playing style. Had all the technical ability in the world but always kept it so simple and maximally effective, often turning everything upside down with a single touch or two, always knew what to do far before the ball came to him.

2 Likes

Maldini
Bergkamp
Zidane
Ayala
Ronaldo

Baggio
Bergkamp
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldo

Who needs defenders or keepers, it’s 5 a side

Del Piero
Davids
Djorkaeff
Redondo
Romario

I think this would do good on a small 5 a side pitch.