Pre-2000s Football

Here are a couple

Who scored the winning goal in the 1995 Champions League final?

A: Kluivert
B: Overmars
C: Rijkaard
D: Kanu

In the 1998 World Cup semi-final between France and Croatia, which France player was sent off?

A: Blanc
B: Desailly
C: Thuram
D: Deschamps

Who was the top scorer in the 1998 World Cup?

A: Ronaldo
B: Zidane
C: Suker
D: Vieri

I’m coming back for more @Phoebica, this is fun.

3 Likes

Who was in charge of Arsenal for the CwC final against Real Zaragoza final in 95.
A. Stewart Houston.

1 Like

Who scored the last Premier League goal of the 90s?

A: Jody Morris

3 Likes

These are all really good – the kind of thing I’m looking for. Like even if you don’t know, the questions are fun and you can have a guess.

An easier one to give the noobs some hope:

Which club did Arsenal sign Dennis Bergkamp from?

A: Ajax
B: AC Milan
C: Internazionale
D: Juventus

During which year was the UEFA Champions League founded (rebranded)?

A: 1990
B: 1991
C: 1992
D: 1993

Which of these Brazilian players didn’t play for PSV Eindhoven?

A: Ronaldo
B: Romario
C: Rivaldo
D: Alex

1 Like

Who was the only captain to lift the League title trophy in three different decades, including twice in the nineties, for the same club.

Answer, Tony Adams

1 Like

Had this question in a proper pub quiz a few years ago. I had to really fight for Inter. I was the only girl on our team, so even though most of the time people respect my opinion, there is the odd time when they’d rather believe a guy. A guy on the team said it was Ajax, so I had to be so persistent “I will put my house on it being Inter”. So frustrating sometimes.

7 Likes

The one thing I hate about quizzes in particular is when you’re in a team with others and some joker just won’t listen to you because they’re certain they know the answer.

Did one a few years back where the question was “which fast food chain has the most stores/locations in the USA?”

I knew the answer was Subway, for some reason it was one of those unexpected facts that just stuck in my head. I said this was the answer, had one mate scoff and say something about how that’s stupid, a couple other in the team smirked/chuckled. He put down McDonald’s instead.

Without using any words I was still a massively smug cunt when it came to being given the answers later.

7 Likes

Sexy Kit

1 Like

Reminds me of Bobby Robson wanting to sign Jason Euel. Said he wanted the black striker from Wimbledon. Ends up with Carl Cort.

1 Like
2 Likes

Remember when he was partnered with van Basten in AC Milans attack?

Truly great exciting finisher. Really don’t see enough of these type of forwards around now.
Probably a bit better technically than Wrighty but them explosive players are real crowd pleasers.
Just inspire kids to play and dream. Great vid to post that.

3 Likes
  1. RIP :pensive:
2 Likes

the talent of this Brazil team :giroud3: :giroud3: :giroud3: :giroud3: :giroud3:
absolute circus

1 Like

This guy gets overlooked but in my opinion was the most complete striker of the decade, right foot, left foot, head, pace and strength. The guy was not only clinical but I would say he was merciless in front of goal. It’s a shame that he stayed at Fiorentina for so long, he never got to win the trophies a player of his talents should of won and he never truly got the plaudits he deserved. Mid to late 90s Saturday mornings with Gazetta football Italia on channel 4 really was something special, even more so because we got to see players like this every week. Best kind of motivation before school games!

8 Likes

A complete striker. Our resident football connoisseur who sadly isn’t with us anymore once remarked that RVP was twice as good as him. He obviously never saw the great man play. Batigol was incredible.

3 Likes

RvP was definitely better than Batistuta. I wouldn’t go as far as twice as good, but RvP was arguably, the best striker in the world in his last season with us. That’s a title Batistuta couldn’t reach, unfortunately (didn’t help that he was going up against R9 for that accolade tbf)

That’s fine. You can have that opinion and I don’t think there’s much in it either way. I prefer Batigol, I found him a more consistent striker with greater longevity at he top whereas RVP only really had 2-3 seasons at the top due to his injury problems.

It’s just absurd to say he’s twice as good.

1 Like

It’s funny because I would have loved Batistuta here in the 1999/2000 season when we were relying on Suker, Kanu and Bergkamp and none of them were 20+ league goal a season campaigners.

Batistuta also wins the league for us in 1998/99 partnered with Bergkamp, no question.