Pre-2000s Football

I was watching this game live.
Had no idea why Voller got a red card.
All playback showing Rijkaard spit on Voller two or three times (including the foul).

Spitting on someone is so fucking vile, surprised Voller or one of his team-mates didn’t twat him.

2 Likes

they had the game in control, the game is far more important than retaliation.

https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/1673239674838499329

2 Likes

22 high quality players. LVG and Capello as the managers.

9 Italian players in the AC Milan lineup.

9 Dutch players in the Ajax lineup.

What an era that was. The beautiful game.

5 Likes

Arguably the greatest defender of the last 30 years or so.

2 Likes

Can’t think of another defender who has legendary status in two different positions (LB and CB).

God like ability.

2 Likes

Not anywhere near the same legendary status in full and centre back, but Thuram is the only name that springs to mind. Could be wrong, but seem to remember him being very accomplished at least in both roles. Think the CB role was probably mostly a bit later in his career, at Barca maybe?

Oh, and Billy Gallas as well, of course. Greatest left back to have never won the CL, don’t you know.

2 Likes

Aye, hard to disagree with this. Only Adams comes close.

1 Like

Come on David… Adams is not on Maldini’s level

That’s only cos he didn’t win as much.

Adams was easily the best English defender I’ve ever seen. Could have slot into that Milan defence seamlessly.

I don’t rate a player by the number of their medals/trophies…

Maldini had everything that Adams had, and more skillful and versitile.
He is arguably the best CB, and LB.

I mean it would be hard to find a spot for Adams in the top 10 CBs of the last 30 years that’s for sure. And I think he is hugely overlooked.

1 Like

I read somewhere he was right-footed. Even more impressive mastering the LB position as a right-footed player.

2 Likes

Adams comfortably makes this bracket. Let’s not make up history now.

Baresi
Maldini
Nesta
Cannavaro
Stam
Ramos
Campbell

That’s 7 off head I would put ahead of Adams and without going into it.

I think Adams was exceptional. I think only Campbell was a better CB than him that I’ve seen in Arsenal colours.

Maybe I could squeeze Adams into the top 10. He was a much more elegant defender than people give him credit for. And I’m sure if I put in a lot more thought I could answer categorically who I’d rank above him but those 7 at the very least

2 Likes

how about Puyol, Roberto Carlos or Cafu or Dani Alves? Chiellini? Phillip Lahm?

Out of this list you could make an argument for Baresi being better than Adams.

I can’t see any way in which the others were better than Tone. 90s Adams was greater than 00s Sol. Ramos being better than Adams is frankly baffling. Stam had a couple of really good seasons here, but not Adams level.

I’m a harsh critic of so called “world class” players (i.e. I’m not keen to label players world class so quickly), but Adams was world class. No question.

Frank De Boer is another defender that played both center back and fullback at a high level, like Thuram not in the Maldini category but a top class player for sure.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

I’m tapping out of this one.