Pre-2000s Football

They played in the final.

The golden Nigerian generation. It’s a shame they couldn’t translate this success to their senior team later on.

1 Like

Haha yes that winning goal. Weird offside trap. Remembered that one for sure.

1 Like

That Nigeria team was one of the fastest teams in Winning Eleven

1 Like

Yeah, I think the fastest one.

Amakochi, Babangida and Semau (??) with maximal 9 speed rating :arteta4: :martinelli:

1 Like

This guy has created an insane youtube playlist with basically every Champions League goal ever scored.

2 Likes

If interested, watch ASAP, may be taken down because of copyright issue.

3 Likes

Been really sick this last week to the point of being completely bed ridden. Gave me a chance to load up some old football matches I had converted from VHS to DVD and then eventually uploaded to my google drive.

Rewatched Barcelona losing 4-0 to Capello’s Milan in 94.

Odds weren’t in Milan’s favour with no van Basten, Lentini, Baresi and Costacurta as well as few other foreign players like Papin not being able to play.

Savicevic was some player on his day I’ll tell you that.

Sensational result.

2 Likes

That Savicevic volley chip for the third was amazing. Saw it last night on that champions league all goals compilation.

1 Like

He was a great players but such was the talent around he was never going too really challenge for top player in the world.
Honestly the talent level in real terms has fell off a cliff in the last decade or so.

3 Likes

Always preferred watching Boban and Massaro in that team.

I honestly do wonder how he would have fared had he joined a less talented squad. Too much attacking talent in that Milan team and Capello had his favourites at that point.

Seems like such an amazing player when he hit form but never really got too much in the way of opportunity at Milan.

Look back at that Milan team now and it’s genuinely astonishing how badly such a historically significant team have fallen.

1 Like

Yeah and people talk about how football has moved on in athletic terms but in terms of actual talent in the game I can’t think of a time in my life where there such a paucity of high quality talent.

I know we always tend to be a little nostalgic as humans but I think the drop off in talent is very clear and evident. And it’s got everything to do with the way academy talents are trained these days and coached to play specific roles.

1 Like

The Bosman ruling played a huge role in the changing face of football really.
It’s significance on clubs and quality of Leagues was severely impacted.
A necessary measure on one hand but the wider repercussions changed the landscape.

@Pires

Early 90s was genuinely a golden age for Yugoslav football too. See so many quality Croatian players around the setup. Insane for such a small nation to have produced as many great talents as Croatia did.

1 Like

This can’t be highlighted enough. I know the game and systems change but functionality should never be chosen over the freezing out or eroding of individual talent.
That’s clearly happening and encouraged amongst academy players.
Too many players will be overlooked now because of a certain demographic. It’s very difficult if your coming from low income or strained relationship with family at home.

1 Like

94/95 Champions League Final

6 Likes

that fucking defense of Milan… God awesome, plus Albertini and Desailly

2 Likes

Damn, that Ajax team is a prime example of total football.
Versatile, technical player everywhere.

De Boer as an attacking modfielder up front, a very technical/mobile back line…

19 year old Seedorf and 22 year old Davids in midfield.

That line up would look progressive/ahead of it’s time even nowadays.

3 Likes

I liked saying the name Finidi George out loud when I was watching that final :grinning:

Weird the crap one remembers :smile:

On paper, Milan should never have been losing that final.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/1672499800128860160?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA