Pre-2000s Football

I just couldn’t think of a better place to put it lol

2 Likes

Not many on here would remember anything before 2000 anyway

1 Like

That’s the one with the famous photo because of the camera angle looked like Maradona was taking on the whole Belgium team single handed

No that’s the opening game of the 82 world cup.

1 Like

Was Maldini being used as a CB at that time though? I though he usually played as a LB in his earlier years?

1 Like

He was Nesta main CB partner in both 2003 and 2007 CL finals triumph! Hence him making the list because of the mammoth success they had together :fist_right:t3:

1 Like

I know :arteta4:
I was refering to @Jesseviolin post about Maldini and Baresi being the best CB partnership, and I tought Maldini didn’t play that much as a CB at that time, maybe in a 3atb.

2 Likes

For whatever reason I thought you replied to me lol. Ignore me haha

1 Like

I guess the like for the post about Maradona caused the confusion, happens at times :arteta4:

2 Likes

Yea he played primarily as a lb and it was during his later years that he moved to cb.
But he played in probably the world’s greatest ever defence that they played across each other and that’s why on the whole I’d still choose Maldini along with Baresi :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Who did you think was the better defender? Maldini or Baresi?

It’s a hard one but I’ll aways say Baresi, he’s a small guy for a cb but he could play anywhere along the back 4 he excelled at breaking up play and turned defensive movement into attacking play just like that, I think Franco Baresi truly defined Sacchi’s style of play

5 Likes
7 Likes

Ah when Dortmund had respect for itself :grin:

1 Like

Eventually, he left for Bayern too… :grimacing:

1 Like
1 Like

Exceptional player.

2 Likes

Strange end to his playing career after he left Barcelona, he made a few appearances for Dorados the team in Mexico that El Diego went on to manage.

1 Like

He was a pretty scary player before the injuries.
An incredible finisher.

6 Likes