Pre-2000s Football

The biggest shame of Best is he was virtually finished at 27 with his prime years to come.

3 Likes

I was always a fan of Figo. Surely one of the best RWs in the history of the game. Loved how almost undefendable he was withouth any exceptional pace. Always taking players on, while always having great awareness and eye for a simple pass.

Usually liked him more than Zidane and though he he was kinda more effective and kept it more simple unlike Zizou who used to frustrate me with his snowboating at times.

1 Like

I wish R9 stayed a little longer at that Barcelona team

Imagine 97-98 with Ronaldo, Figo, Pep, Enrique and they obviously added Rivaldo too.

2 Likes

Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Figo… 3 Ballon d’Or/FIFA POTY winners in those years, would be ridiculous to have them together.

1 Like

A true ball playing defender who could actually defend too

2 Likes

Don’t you start with that heresy. Anyone playing before the age of analytics is a plumber and a scrub. Got it?

3 Likes

It’s hilarious that people act like defenders who could pass is genuinely a modern invention lol

5 Likes

Made it an art form this lad. The reading of a top class defender is what sets them apart.
The blueprint of what all great defenders are defined by in Italy written by this man.

2 Likes

Yeah feel like you can look at the way Maldini, Baresi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Costacurta and pretty much any great Italian defender that came in the 80s and 90s to his greatness.

All had amazing composure and reading of the game and all could pass the ball like a midfielder.

Bergomi another Italian great too. Were you a fan?

2 Likes

Oh definitely. Somehow in the last decade defending has become something nobody really appreciates now.
Game is more basketball outlook for some reason.

2 Likes

Also sad as well Italy was once a staple of great defenders. Feel like they’ve fallen so far behind that now.

Barzagli was an amazing CB probably the best Italy had produced since the Nesta / Cannavaro duo. Chiellini was another great who got better with age but even then I’d still say both of them weren’t at that level.

4 Likes

Which is comical given the lack of striking talent around. Champions League the main forwards are 35 Year old Benzema, 36 Year old Giroud, 34 Year old Choupo-Moting and 37 Year old Dzeko and whichever random guy Chelsea puts up front.

It’s annoying he plays for City but thank god the game has Haaland around.

4 Likes
Best CB partnership of 00s
  • Maldini and Nesta
  • Nesta and Stam
  • Vidic and Ferdinand
  • Carvalho and Terry
  • Puyol and Márquez
  • Campbell and Toure

0 voters

Highly inappapropriate poll for this thread, but I couldn’t not vote.

1 Like

I had a feeling it would trigger you if you saw it but I took the risk anyway

1 Like
  1. Maldini Nesta
  2. Nesta Stam
  3. Vidic Ferdinand
  4. Terry Carvalho

Special mention, they probably don’t qualify under 00s, but let’s just squeeze them in… Lucio Samuel.

1 Like

The glaring one I missed was Cannavaro - Thuram but I’d done the poll and couldn’t
be bothered to go back.

2 Likes

Liar. You rigged it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Maradona vs. Belgium 1986 WC.

What a performance. Watching the game again today as I enjoy my break from work and genuinely one of my favourite individual performances.

4 Likes

Seeing this is a pre- 2000 thread and your poll states best cb’s during the 00s everybody is wrong sonit should be Baresi and Maldini

1 Like