Podcasts & Audiobooks

Listened to SS GB by Len Deighton. The Nazis win the Battle of Britain and occupy the country. Our protagonist is a superintendent at Scotland Yard, a single dad and war widower, who is just trying to survive and quietly go about his job without causing any issues with his new Nazi bosses. That is until he catches a murder case that draws him into the world of politics and espionage.

Enjoyable stuff, and not too taxing. I quite enjoy a bit of alternative history fiction. Recommendations welcomed.

1 Like

Oh I like the sound of that and alternative history is right up my alley aswell. Will give it a blast.

Find ā€˜Who shat on the floor at my wedding?ā€™ and give it a listen. Properly laugh out loud funny.

@shamrockgooner Iā€™ve nearly finished the Manhattan Project by LPOTL (which as Iā€™ve already said, is brilliant, thanks again!) and I donā€™t know about you but Iā€™ve started referring to anything negative in life by saying ā€œIwo Jimaā€, in the low, gravely voice it should be uttered in.

1 Like

Hahaha to be fair Iā€™m about six years listening to these guys so they donā€™t really catch me in that way any more but I get ya. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are very good podcasts .
Simon Jordan is a brilliant brilliant listen and always asks the right questions.

@JakeyBoy Ya boy just dropped Oasthouse 3. Will you be listening?

Iā€™ve got credits and have immediately downloaded (albeit I probably wonā€™t be listening until my travels next week) :grin:

1 Like

Damn, didnā€™t realise that was a thing. I havenā€™t listened to series 2 yet!

I have a spare credit so might download 2 first in prep.

Btw, I used one credit a couple months ago to pre-order this :eyes:

1 Like

Series 2 Oasthouse is very good. Follows the same vein, so standard stuff. He is really good on this format overall.

Havenā€™t seen the Big Beacon thing either, will be giving that a listen too!

Audiobook fans. Anyone who has Spotify Premium, you get 15 hours a month included in subscription

https://x.com/spotifynews/status/1709301763080110083?s=46&t=2U6XWqnXYlWg-4shy9vWIA

The first LoTR book is over 22 hours long and not included :tomi:

Get a better taste in books then

1 Like

This is my new favourite podcast.

Gary, Alan and Micah have such great chemistry with each other

https://twitter.com/restisfootball/status/1710379938061185285?s=46&t=LlMNFvsPPy2ozwuX8FhQrA

2 Likes

What a great clip. Makes me feel a little better knowing that even Henry just wanted his dadā€™s approval. I finally have one thing in common with an all time great.

1 Like

@YJYUX you see whatā€™s gone on with Ben Kissel? :jorginho:

Ed Larson is a great replacement to be fair.

1 Like

Yeh man wtf. I read the surface details and didnā€™t want to dive in too much but it doesnā€™t sound great either way. Thatā€™s his career/money stream absolutely knackered.

Edā€™s been good on some of the recent pods Iā€™ve listened to and I donā€™t imagine it changes the dynamics of the show too much.

Varied taste :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m into this right now, have listened to all of them so far, quite enjoyable and. Some good survival lessons :rofl::rofl: