PL UK Television rights tender 2019/22

It’s definitely lack of interest for me. I tuned in for ten minutes in the hope of laughing at spurs yesterday but I would have got by without it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this was profitable for them Sky would have no issues with it lol. But because it isn’t profitable and it’s damaging their already fragile reputation they are definitely not wanting this to continue.

3 Likes

Yet they don’t mind charging for boxing events.

Looks like it’s getting axed. Can’t see it continuing with the backlash it has received

I would love to see the PPV viewing figures. There is no way this would be scrapped if they were hitting anywhere near the expected numbers.

1 Like

I saw this on Twitter earlier. Not sure how BARB get their data or how accurate it is though

Looks as of they got that estimated number from sampling, so probably not too far off the actual numbers.

Arsenal vs Leicester surprises me somewhat, but I got bugger fanbases are involved and the fact there is nothing on TV sunday evening haha

I would like to see the viewing figures if the price point of this PPV was something like £4.99.

1 Like

Testing the waters. Could try again later in the season when games count a bit more.

I’m surprised the numbers were that high tbf

Viewing numbers don’t necessarily equal PPV contracts does it?

300k viewers could only be something like 150k PPVs, which would be 2.25m revenue in the game weekend and I guess you can say 85m extrapolated over a 38 game season. That’s the equivalent of around 4m per club per season before Sky and the PL get their cut. So I’m guessing that money does basically fuck all for the clubs, unless my numbers are way off.

At this point you may as well give the games to Sky and BT as a good will gesture. It would encourage people to subscribe to their platforms so they’re happy and cover a bit of the money they lost, and people have a way to see the games without being fleeced too hard.

If I was the PL I’d be worried right now about Sky and BT seeing the hit they took financially as a big risk going forward and therefore they may not be looking to bid top dollar for PL rights the next time it comes up.

3 Likes

One thing I’m wondering about is advertising. Like at a magazine, the higher your readership, the more you can charge for advertising. The same applies for TV, advertising during the Super Bowl is absolutely ridiculous. Surely they can make more from advertising by having a match on Sky or BT than they do through PPV?

As a comparison to those figures, 1.7m people watched Man Utd v Chelsea. I guess the question is, where does the money from advertising go? At the moment, the PL and clubs are making all the money from PPV, whereas maybe Sky and BT get the advertising money.

2020 what a fucking stupid year. Who saw this coming?!

Be a gent and just tell us what he said

Make it £4.95.

Looks like it’s not

4 games in a row. So you have Sky Sports and BT Sport, plus some people will have season tickets and yet they’ll still have to pay an extra £60 if they want to watch their team.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Arseblog hates all the kickoff times :joy: why does it matter what time he watches the match in his house in Dublin :joy:

I don’t really like having to wait til Sunday evening to see us play, I’m quite impatient. I like watching football in the afternoon on a weekend. I’m not really mad about it like he is though lol

Clubs voted 19-1 in favour of the pay-per-view model, describing it as an “interim solution”.