PL title race 22/23

Its really important that City win tomorrow and at the weekend to advance in both competitions. If they make the FA Cup and CL semis, they will have only one open midweek the entire rest of the season. One of the open dates here will be their rescheduled league match this coming weekend and another will end up being their rescheduled league match from the weekend they play the FA Cup semifinal.

4/5 - Open
4/12 - European quarters
4/19 - European quarters
4/26 - PL matches
5/3 - Open
5/10 - European semis
5/17 -European semis
5/24 - Open

Weā€™re going to have all three of these midweeks open and I think weā€™ll be able to do more rotating in the Europa League than they will in the CL given the relative priority placed on the competitions.

4 Likes

Mostly agree. I donā€™t think we have much room for rotation in Europe.
It wont work for us if we want to win this trophy.
Sunday is a cup semi final equivalent for us.

6 Likes

We have players coming back from injury. This Thursday aside we will have good options to rotate, but does depend on the QF draw (assuming we can progress)

Jesus / Nketiah
Martinelli / Trossard
ESR / Odegaard
Xhaka / Vieira
Jorginho / Partey

No donā€™t think we do. The competition gets harder our best side wins this tournament potentially.
Our rotation doesnā€™t. Seen the problems we encountered last week and in PSV.
We havenā€™t played too half our potential in any outings this season with this policy.
Been good enough to get us here, we now need to go as near full strength as we can.

2 legs for the QFs and SFs. Priority has to be the PL so think we have to rotate to some extent. Saka looks knackered atm. Whoever plays in the match needs to give 100% and we need to be careful against more injuries or burn out. Of course if we wrap the PL League up early, we can focus on the EL.

Iā€™ll concede for Thursday Saka should definitely drop too the bench.
Really could do with him being pulled from international duty as well.

1 Like

Itā€™s a stupid time to have an international break. Hopefully everyone comes back fine.

2 Likes

Tbf weā€™ve been blessed with fewer this season. (Although thatā€™s only cos of the shambolic WC).

Iā€™m so booking a trip away for either of the ones next Autumn lol

I am going to try to go to the EL Final again, if we get thereā€¦

1 Like

Budapest. You been before? Iā€™d love to go.

Never been either, would love to go too. Just want to erase the memory of Baku and that journey home with a plane full of Chelsea fans!

1 Like

Been to Budapest once but already booked flights and hotel for the final (about 4 months ago), just have to find a ticket to the game now :joy:

2 Likes

If our full strength team is the side that started most of the fall, then I could still see some subset of Jorginho, Trossard, Nketiah, Nelson, Vieira, Tomiyasu, ESR, or Tierney rotating in for Europa League games (not all of them at once). Take 6-7 from the starting XI and 4-5 from that group and its still a very helpful bit of rotation. Although I do think Ramsdale plus the starting CBs should be playing in every match unless its a case of the tie being already decided in the first leg or something.

Pep is going to play his absolute best XI in every CL match I think. He obviously has a deep squad but heā€™ll be looking to maximize his chances of winning that trophy above anything else.

8 points ahead going into the international break would be absolutely huge, even with an extra game played it puts pressure on City to actually get points in the game in hand

4 Likes

Plus Pep will have a lot of time to overthink his approach against Liverpool and come up with some bizarre formation.

can see Liverpool beating City again, Klopp seems to have Peps number a lot

Done the same but via Bratislava and then Belgrade on the way home, make a European tour of it.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah that 2018/19 season really has me worried.

Man City pipped Liverpool to it by one point.