Phones Thread

@BizzySignal both pre-ordered my good man?

2 Likes

Yep going to put my badness sim when it comes :joy::rofl::ok_hand:t4:

2 Likes

What’s the early reception like bro?

Are the tech people happy with it?

Think I’ll pre-ordering in the next couple of days. Google have thrown in some decent Bose headphones as a sweetener to those who pre-order. Just going to wait for a couple more reviews first.

Shame that the 256gb model can’t be bought for the normal Pixel 6.

1 Like

Oh sexy.

Imma do it

Review embargo till Monday so have to wait and find out.

3 Likes

Just pre-ordered the Pixel 6. Bought it outright but will get most of that back by selling my current phone. Reviews have generally been mega positive which sealed the deal.

I generally change up my handsets every time my contract expires, but I remember keeping my Nexus 5 and 6P for 3+ years before changing. Aiming to keep this for a good while now. Samsung bringing out the exact same phones each year finally did my head in.

2 Likes

Same bro.

I am more in deep with the Google ecosystem anyways.

And the offer of the free Bose headphones sealed the deal. You getting those also?

2 Likes

Yeah man, you have to wait a couple of weeks before you can claim them I think. But yeah, a real sweetener. You get a lot of shit for the money, great value

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the best value around for a flagship.

Sure the iPhone and even the galaxy may be a better phone, but value for money?

I’m not so sure.

@Sol what colour did you end up getting?

2 Likes

Stormy black because they ran out of the other colours.

Had it for a few days now and really like basically everything about the phone except its size. The standard S21 is so much smaller and thinner - can’t get used to having such a tank of a phone again. I’m actually going to send the Pixel back because I’m used to a lighter device now. The 128gb storage option is also restrictive imo, my S21 has 256gb and for me that is the minimum I need tbh.

Gutted to return it because everything else was exactly what I was looking for. They don’t make regular sized flagship devices anymore.

I recently received an iPhone 12 mini as my work phone (instead of choosing the regular sized one) and it’s a throwback to when phones weren’t planet sized behemoths.

2 Likes

Got agree with what @Sol saying.

Was only able to find the smaller 6 in 128gb and the Pro in 256gb both of which are way to restrictive in my opinion, especially if you want to record 4K videos etc… I know what Google are doing. They want to force you into using their cloud services but that’s not something I’m going to do.

The sizes are a weird one with the 6 and pro having a negligible difference width wise but the pro being taller. Not sure why they’ve done this as even the smaller one would be considered a plus size phone in my opinion, which is disappointing for people who want a flag ship phone in a smaller form factor.

Annoyingly the telephoto lens been removed from the 6, which means crappier bokeh, crapier depth of field and worse zoom. Not that it’s shit but it’s worse than the pro. So it forces you get the larger phone if you want the better cameras.

Finally the battery life is atrocious on both phones, not pixel 4 levels but on the larger pro it’s like 4 SOT and with the smaller one it’s like 3/3 1/2. Which is nuts considering Google designed this chip themselves. I’m getting around 8 hours something on my regular iPhone 13 pro (currently on 7 hours 10 minutes at 37% battery) and around the same on the s21 ultra, and about an hour less on the Pixel 5. If your a power user or going to be taking lots of pictures and shit then you definitely going to being charging mid day.

The cameras are great, the screen is great, stock Android is awesome obviously and the price is great. But for me I’m not a fan of the design, the size of the phones and the battery.

1 Like

Oh ffs well I dunno how to feel when I get mine now.

I wanted a smaller phone to but I’m also sick of Samsung’s bloatware.

Also that’s not what I wanted to hear about the battery life.

You ever tried Xiaomi @BizzySignal ? They look amazing value for money but I’d never trust a Chinese company’s phone I don’t think tbh. Maybe that’s irrational, but still.

Also I hear there’s ads built in to the software if you get the cheaper versions i think.

1 Like

Honestly I ain’t use any phones from Chinese companies because Problem with Android is that all these other companies put skins on top it and some of them are garbage, like bloated as fuck and it takes for ever for them to get updates specifically the security updates. Plus there’s the whole spying issue with their chips etc…

I don’t think the Pixel 6 bad though bro, only thing that might be an issue really is the battery and that could change with software updates and optimisation since the battery is large enough and Google designed the chip.

1 Like

I hope Pixel gets its shit together next year when I start looking for a new cellphone.

1 Like

@Electrifying going to say bro, make sure to get the Pro variant of the phone.

I worked out why the 6’s battery is so bad, the refresh rate varies from 90hz to 60hz instead of going down to 10hz like the pro or other phones like the Samsung or iPhone does. What that means is that for other phones to conserve battery, they will lower the refresh rate of the screen when the image on your phone is static e.g you are looking at a photo, reading a block of text, or using something which doesn’t need or support the higher refresh rates. With the 6 it doesn’t go below 60hz, which means for a video that’s only 30hz or a static image that only requires like 10-15hz it’s still using the much higher refresh rate which in turn is rinsing the battery.

That plus it’s nearly identical in size to the 6pro, doesn’t have the telephoto lens, a worse screen and a smaller battery.

The 6Pro is a top phone and I sure with updates and some firmware fixes they can improve the life of the battery.

@Trion yeah agree bro, I’m fully convinced Google does this shit on purpose to not piss of their OEM partners like Samsung, One plus, Xiaomi. They have been designing and releasing phones for 12 or so years, have more resources than 90% of the other tech companies and every year they release a phone with some kind of glaring omission. There’s no way their design team can be that stupid. Like this year why make the smaller phone nearly exactly the same size as the larger one? If the sizes are the same why omit the telephoto lens from the “smaller” 6? Why the crappier screen with the lower refresh rate? If even apple doing 120hz screen then you know, your behind the curve as they only implement features which have been around for years already. It’s a shame because, for people who want to use a pure android phone they have no other options. If they can’t do it them selves and seeing as Samsung already manufactures the Tensor chips then they should just go back to getting Samsung to make their phones like the Galaxy nexus or create play editions of the phone like they did with S4.

2 Likes

Already ordered the 6 :grimacing:

But some reviews I saw also wondered if the older 5G modem is also a culprit for the battery issues?

We’ll see what happens.

I’ll report back when I have it and when I’ve spent like a few months with it.

Important to note it is a lot cheaper than the other flagships so some of these issues could be due to cheaper parts

2 Likes

I didn’t think of it really. It does make sense why Android didn’t go full throttle on Pixel when they are clearly capable of

1 Like

Hey, biz. Is the refresh rate adjustable anywhere in the settings?

1 Like

Not sure they have that feature available on the SE as it’s locked into 60hz already but if you got a 13 model with the 120hz. You go to settings> Accessibility > Motion. There you get the option to limit the frame rate. Hope that helps mate :+1:t4: