Phones Thread

Ah so I am needlessly ignoring the notifications.
I find OnePlus absolute worth the money and think it will last me another year if I don’t fuck up somehow.

I find OnePlus very quick to resolve issues too. I’ve only had this one a year but no doubt my next phone is likely to be a OnePlus also.

At the start I was super protective of mine too but now I’m at the 3 year point I’m being a lot tougher on it because if I fuck something I can just get a new one but honestly it’s holding up like a champ.

I run gacha games on it non stop while it’s charging and the battery while obviously not as good as it used to be isn’t bad at all, dash charging still fast as fuck boi and very little problem processing a bunch of apps open at once. My dad got the latest OnePlus recently and comparing use there isn’t a great deal of difference between mine and his, obviously his is better but not to the point I would spend £550 to swap mine out just. Great economy the OnePlus especially for people who buy their phones outright, still going strong at this stage is amazing and will if things slow down in a year or two I can’t say I mind.

1 Like

I have dropped it face down on hard floor some around 10-15 times…Not a nick.

Like @shamrockgooner I am most likely to purchase op again. I hope I am broke at the time so I don’t overthink between op & iphone.

The OnePlus was something I was considering but they are trying too much to be like a flagship brand imo, putting out too many phones and they don’t have the resources or power of e.g. Samsung.

I really am excited about this pixel.

1 Like

Man even if I was a millionaire I’d buy a Op over Apple. Put the difference into apple stock, cocaine and strippers

2 Likes

I don’t think this is accurate. They are usually only selling like 3 or 4 models at a time.

1 Like

Their mantra has always to be a flagship killer, which they initial were, as the OP sold for £200 compared to others at £600. They achieved that but lost sight of it along the way now charging like £600.

I don’t necessarily mind because they’re still competitively in terms of processing power for a about 2/3rds of the cost but they aren’t a bargain by any means anymore

With the chip shortages and every fabricator working overtime right now there just aren’t going to be tech bargains anymore for a while anyway.

3 Likes

The whole phone slowing down thing is taken out of context, they basically throttle the cpu so that it can get extra life out of the phone. However because the apple chips are so much better than the competition even with that throttling you won’t notice lag, and it will still perform on par with phones from the same generation and maybe a generation up. You can easily get 4/5 years out of every iPhone granted you change the battery after 3 years and don’t need large amounts of storage.

Android used to be great but somewhere down the line it’s just become this advert filled tracking software, literally every app tracks what you do, where you go and it’s a nightmare turning that crap off only for it to turn back on after updates. I love the idea behind the one plus phones, but I would take a pro max phone over it all day everyday.

1 Like

Really? Which apps do this?

1 Like

If you log into your Google account, there’s like a whole list of things that are being tracked that you have to manually turn off. (I’ll screen shot it later) I checked on my Pixel last year, it had this thing turned on which had tracked every where I had been since I got my first pixel in 2016! All dotted on Google maps. It had all my YouTube comments, things I’ve liked, all the videos I’ve watched etc…

And that’s with me having turned location services off as well. Then all the catered adverts etc… it’s hidden really well and seems that just disabling it in app doesn’t stop it!

1 Like

you go on settings apps and click deny on permissions. You also can click no to every app you install.

How is that a nightmare.

Nah I turned that all that off like three phones ago and it’s never reset to on.

For me, it’s all to much hassle, I swear every phone I’m turning off fucking Google assistant and the suggestions in chrome etc…. Settings I’ve turned off, and there is a lot of settings sometimes require me to turn off again. I don’t need to do any of that with apple.

Lots of people won’t even know about any of those things, and all their data just going to get jacked one time. End of the day it’s preference, I was blown away by the original iPhone, then I started favour Android around “Jelly bean and Kitkat” then slowly iOS started to implement changes and the gap between the two became less, in terms of functionality but everything worked better, was smoother and looked more aesthetically pleasing on iOS. So now I’m back on iOS.

Well it is not taken out of context as that is exactly what BBC article stated. They were fined for not informing users that a said update would take these steps and prioritize CPU over the battery.

And lets be honest, it was absolutely a tactic used by phone manufacturers to get users buy phones much earlier than needed. The tradeoff just happened to be a godsend for Apple & Many Android phonemakers.

That has stopped 3-4 years from now as every new app will ask for permissions for each specific PII point.
I use an iPad and it does the same.

A lot of apprehension about Android comes from the experience of using it a long time ago and/or experience with the handset manufacturer.
unlike iOS, Android OS is at the mercy of the Smartphone manufacturers and I have only seen OnePlus truly integrate that OS properly with their hardware.

If Google can get their shit with Pixel, we can finally have some good competition for iOS and it’s really not that far.

Actually that was mostly introduced with Android 11, (which is only a year or so) but even then Google makes it difficult to turn off all the trackers. Like I said if you go to your Google account you have to turn a bunch of shit off independent of the apps on your handset.

I have a Pixel and an S21 ultra, I get an android phone with my iOS phone every year, I’m not an Android hater bro. However iOS devices in my opinion provide a better more fluid experience for the user, and are superior in most departments that most people care about.

The S21 has 5 cameras with the exception of the 10x zoom telephoto lens, all of the cameras including video are better on the iPhones 12 pro Max’s, with a much smaller battery it lasts nearly an hour longer, the apps are more polished, you have less bloat ware and the phone retains its value for longer. That’s last years phones compared to in my opinion the current Android king.

Each to their own though, whatever people enjoy and get the most out of then I’m happy for them. Just not sure why Apple is seen as the “bad” guy of the tech world and gets so much hate when their products are consistently top of the class.

1 Like

I think all of us acknowledge that iOS & iPhone are the benchmark and comparatively the best.

Most Android users are simply stating that the gap between flagship Android & iPhone is not that big now while being at a more reasonable price.
The best of the criticism for Android is pretty manageable or at least not some cumbersome that one would prefer to pay 300 dollars more.

As for

There are plenty of legit criticism to consider

• Not being accommodating with ‘Rights to repair’
  • Using a loophole to continue using Lightning cable even though EU asked for uniformity in chargers, which would have reduced unnecessary wastage.
  • Throttling without informing users
  • taking excessive commission on app store (even android play store is guilty)

As this is my first iPhone I like how there is not two of everything.

For example with my old samsungs you had googles apps and samsungs apps and they done the same thing. Waste of space

3 Likes

I’m 99.9% sure it’s never been done, and likely never will be, but what’s the likelihood of Apple ever issuing an update that would cause your phone to be less of a power hog? I faithfully followed @BizzySignal’s suggestions earlier, but this SE20 is still not what I’d hoped for in terms of battery consumption. It’s just as well that I’m a very casual user.

1 Like

My phone has arrived. I stayed out all day so I wouldn’t let it distract me. I have an exam on Wed and needed to focus. Since I had my flu jab booked, I stayed at a cafe nearby and studied then a swim. But now I’m home and I got my new phone. It’s so preeeeeetty. So missed the smaller form factor. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes