Olivier Giroud

He might have won the top trophies but he played in teams with world class midfield players.
They supplied him with more chances than almost any other striker, yet he would waste far too many to be considered anything more than an adequate striker.

He was one of our longest serving players but, unlike all our other best attacking players, none of Europe’s elite clubs were interested in him.

He hasn’t played for any top European club, other than on the bench and, although he won the World Cup with France, he became the only striker to not score a goal while doing it.
This is almost as good as his fifteen game goal drought, which broke the PL record.

2 Likes

Did Benzema win the Euros with all his goals?
At the end of the day, Giroud won’t care how he got his world cup medal.

And he shouldn’t. His job was to supplement Mbappe & Griezmann which he did.

4 Likes

Derek Fisher has 5 NBA chips he doesn’t care that everyone knows he got them playing with Kobe Bryant and Shaq 5 is 5.

It’s just the nature of sport, sometimes average players are in the right place at the right time and win things.

1 Like

Yeah and weirdly enough as it turns out, Giroud was at the wrong place at the wrong time with Arsenal.
With his other squad he has won some major trophies.
FA cup is great but Ligue 1 with Montpellier, World cup, CL & EL are just different level

I suppose he got compensated with being a starter for 5 seasons though, at any top club he’s a bench rider which you don’t really want over your whole career.

1 Like

Knowing his luck, Giroud would have somehow managed 5 years playing in front of Messi & Neymar

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Giroud > Neymar tbh

Giroud has got his shortcomings, but for 12m I will take him all day ahead of 50m lacazette. Giroud will be remembered as a World Cup winner,carrying Montpellier to a title,4 FA cups,Europa League win which he scored in the final. Where Laca was the worst player on the pitch. Lacazette is worst than Giroud in the air, holding up the ball , linking with players , in the box. He has a better long shot from time to time but that is it . We should have brought Aubameyang earlier and a too wide playmaker instead of wasting 50 million on Laca and that money could have also been spend on defensive department! As well.

4 Likes

Don’t disagree with that.

I remember rumors about Lemar that summer that we signed Lacazette. Imagine if we’d sold Alexis to City for the 50m or whatever it was and signed Lemar, then gone back for Aubameyang. Might have been better in the long run.

Wenger persevering with Giroud and not going all out for Aubameyang, not only cost us the chance of a PL title, it completely wasted the midfield talent of Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla, perfectly illustrating the club’s lack of ambition.

5 Likes

I’m not so much bothered by Giroud as much as the decision to replace Van Persie with Giroud—who they told us was going to be a backup striker. On top of that we persisted with him when it was clear he was average at best.

Not his fault he failed upward. I blame the board but Wenger especially for what happened to our striker options through the years. And I’m a Wenger defender more often than not.

4 Likes

Nah the issue was 100% signing Laca for 50m. It was well known at the time that without penalties Laca wasn’t reaching 20 goals scored in open play in a farmers league, a huge chunk of his scoring was coming from the penalty spot. He’s earned the moniker of Penazette for a reason… He was also very much like Giroud in his style of play. And the fears were realized. Yes Giroud isn’t a great player but he’s equal to Laca, bigger, stronger, and much more suited for PL football. Why did we spend 50m on a version of a player we already had when the team had more pressing needs? Terrible squad building.

2 Likes

Credit to him, he’s already fluent in Italian

9 Likes

For all his good looks, his face is riddled with spots or pores or whatever

2 Likes

Ah that reminds me. He scored on his debut with his first touch the other day for Milan.

Yep

3 Likes

4 Likes

Before I watched I knew it would be the standard Oliver Giroud bullet header :joy:

Dude must have had terribly acne in his teens for it to leave that kind of lasting effect.

4 Likes