Olivier Giroud

Starter. He’s better than everything else they have up top.

It truly does say a lot about the sport that the major striking movers this summer have been Giroud, Aguero, Cavani getting a new deal at United, Ibra being renewed at Milan

5 Likes

Serious lack of good young strikers around IMO

6 Likes

And somewhat of a resurgence for old CBs. Thiago Silva, Ramos, Boateng during 2019-2020. As usual we bought the one old CB who was just not quite good enough.

Ouch gonna be hard for Milan to back up the top 4 finish then. Has Zlatan retired ?

Zlatan signed on for another season. Giroud will back him up.

1 Like

Fixed it.

1 Like

39 Year old forward and a 34 year old. Market for forwards is in a drought.

1 Like

Why would people say Giroud will be a starter then haha. Zlatan will get injured a bit so Giroud will his game time then.

2 Likes

FIFY :henry2:

2 Likes

Well if you are bound to be average, better be Giroud average.

3 Likes

Fair play to the guy. When it’s all said and done he will have had an awesome career.

Is there a more embarrassing situation than Us selling Giroud for pennies after signing Lacazette for £50m only for Giroud to perform at a higher level, winning a world cup, champions League and Europa League against Us and for Lacazette to perform average to poor for 3 years

3 Likes

What is embarrassing is that I thought we were reducing Chelsea’s firepower by selling them Giroud.

It worked out well for them and we ended up getting sub par performances out of Cech, Luiz and Willian

5 Likes

I did not mind Luiz. But Willian is by far and away my most hated Arsenal player and easily the worst in a very very very long time. He is woeful in every single game he has played in bar his first v Fulham. And hopefully the Tammy Abraham links are false.

iirc the issue wasn’t so much signing Lacazette as it was signing Lacazette who then got hurt and the club went big for Aubameyang. We couldn’t carry three strikers like that.

Should we have tried to sign Aubameyang the summer before and not bothered with Lacazette? Absolutely. It would have made way more sense but idk if Dortmund would have dealt him at that point.

It made total sense at the time to dump Giroud. He was arguably the worst of the those three. He got insanely lucky Benzema was banned from France and parleyed it into a nice little career resurgence. Fair play.

I’ll continue to dislike him for losing us the league when he turned in a big zero over like three fucking months when we had peak Ozil and peak Alexis. Plus, if he wants to stick the knife in after Baku, that’s fine but I’ll continue to root for his professional demise. Supporters get to be fickle like that. I hope he eats shit in Milan.

6 Likes

I would like to see how he handles Ibra. Zlatan can play until he’s 50 and still be better then Giroud.

2 Likes

I don’t rate the Lacazette signing but I don’t think Giroud has outperformed him in the last 3 years unless you mean op a cost / wage ratio ? He certainly has had more success though, but ultimately that’s down to being in a better team. Out of curiosity what’s the most league goals Giroud scored at Chelsea in his 3.5 seasons ?

3 Likes

FIFY.

Giroud is a fine player, scorer of great goals and not a great goal scorer. He’s also very streaky, as we know too well.

He’ll probably be thrilled to ride the bench at Milan, score some garbage time goals against Venezia, do his knee slide celebration and then go home. There’s really nothing left for him to achieve. He’s already earned way more trophies than he should have based on his own individual talent.

And if I sound bitter, it’s because I am.

8 Likes