Olivier Giroud

Unless you have a prime Griezmann play alongside with him, Giroud may give you highlights but not titles.
Underrated or not, depends what you expect from him.
As a 10m (or 12??) striker, I think it was a great buy.

2 Likes

The problem is that Giroud was brought in, supposedly, as back up or to even play with RVP.

He also played alongside top quality midfielders like Cazorla, Sanchez and Ozil who were a level above him so the fact that Wenger waited far too long to get a top quality striker and wasted so many seasons persevering with Giroud meant that we missed out on winning the title on a few occasions.

He’s not the worst striker by any stretch but as a starting striker for a top PL club, he isn’t good enough.

We’ve had Wright, Anelka, Henry, RVP and Aubameyeng, as our main strikers but Giroud, who is a level below, was our undisputed starting striker for more than five seasons.

It’s no coincidence that all our best players left because bigger, more successful clubs bought them but I don’t ever remember any top club showing an interest in Giroud.

That’s not his fault but it’s the manager, who inexplicably refused to buy a player like Aubameyang to replace RVP.

How many PL titles could we have won with a peak Sanchez, Cazorla and Ozil, playing behind Aubameyang rather than Giroud?

3 Likes

That’s very true.

Strikers like Lupoli, Arshavin, Podolski, Stokes and Reyes can rightly feel aggrieved that they were constantly played out of position/not given a chance (when they were at Arsenal) while Giroud sucked the life out of Arsenal.

He was the embodiment of a dying club.

1 Like

Lupoli should feel aggrieved? Good one :rofl:

2 Likes

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

I haven’t had breakfast yet

1 Like

15-16 we’d have been every chance, 13-14 we probably could have also with an Auba level striker.

2 Likes

Stokes as well you know :ozil:

4 Likes

Anthony Stokes? Really?

The point is, they can justifiably feel hard done by.

Some of them nay not have been as good as Giroud, but given that the French Lamppost got so many chances, maybe these guys should have, too?

Hartson :rofl: I think they’re too young to get the diss mate

1 Like

He is. And the reaction when people say this proves this.

1 Like

I think he’s only famous for kicking that Berkovic square in the mouth :joy:

1 Like

Hartson got his fair amount of chances. To many if you ask me :joy: Celtic was more his level.

Looking back, if we get Suarez I reckon we still start Giroud and play something like

Cazorla

Walcott…Suarez
…Giroud

Reckon we might have won the league if we get Suarez over Ozil

I suppose so.

He was playing in one of our worst seasons in living memory, mind you. There are caveats.

Anyway, I’m not gonna beat the Hartson drum too much. Not when he made way for our greatest ever foreign import :blush:

1 Like

Oli G’s performance yesterday just underlines the problems at this club the last 5 years.

We just swapped him for a massive downgrade in Lacazette at a huge cost somehow equating the hopeless wasting of money as an investment in the team.

Most of our squad are barely fit to get into the Crystal Palace team. No surprise then that no manager can get us in with a realistic challenge for 4th in recent years. Will be 17 years without a title now and we’re further than ever from a challenge than I’ve seen in my lifetime. Just hope Edu can change the woeful recruitment and squad management for the better and for good.

6 Likes

Lurrrrrrvely

1 Like

Edu ain’t off to a great start with some of the long term deals handed out.

1 Like

Nope.

No real issue with him going, but the club weren’t ready for his departure…and its fucking us… (not even just talking about managers).