Mikel Arteta (Soon to be Mr. Manager)

My statement isn’t revisionism. I’m telling you the general consensus on this board was that he wasn’t good enough back then. And stating that now isn’t revisionist.

Unless you’ve got an entirely different definition of the word.

But that’s false…hence why it’s revisionist history. There was always great debate about Arteta but never a general consensus.

It isn’t false. What’s false is you trying to paint the picture that Arteta was some legendary Arsenal number 6 or some number 6 who was among Europe’s elite.

He wasn’t even close.

3 Likes

No, that’s a strawman. I haven’t said he was a legendary number 6 for Arsenal-- saying he was, for a very short period of time, at the level of Gilberto and Petit is quite a different statement–and I didn’t say he was among Europe’s elite, though from 2012-first half of 2013/14 he probably was, or at least very close to being so.

What’s obviously false are basically all your comments here re: Arteta, but you are too stubborn and/or worked up by not getting Allegri to back down from them.

I’m not going to bother searching through the thread, but when the tiniest whisper of the rumour first appear I remember you saying @AbouCuellar that part of you thought it would probably be a bad idea but a bigger part of you were totally keen on the romance of the notion that Arteta would come in as a basque Wengerite and fellow Spaniard to come in and takeover from where Wenger left off.

You have some pretty clear biases in regards to this appointment (him being Spanish, and a Wenger supporter/disciple) and I think you’re just doubling down on all of this revisionism about him being one of our best ever midfielders lol

No offence or anything.

4 Likes

Bollocks, I’ve had this discussion with people who strangely underrate him a million times before, and I’ve also been hyping him as a managerial candidate for a long, long time (I was aggrieved when he went to City).

The Basque stuff is obvious jokes…

The Wengerite thing I have no idea where you’re getting from. If I thought he were a Wengerite in the least I would be strongly against his appointment. I disagree strongly with anyone who suggests that Arteta is in any way a Wenger “disciple”, I think all available evidence would suggest he’s much more a Pep disciple.

The comment you were referring to is that I said I can understand people having doubts about Arteta, and it’s hard for me to argue against them given the dearth of objective evidence to use.

He’s always been the one I wanted, after the unlikely options like Tuchel and Pochettino. You can find a post where I basically listed my options for manager and he was top of the list (maybe tied with Naggelsman?).

Finally, the Spanish stuff has nothing to do with it. It’s no use defending myself because people will come to lazy conclusions like this one regardless but I really don’t have a spanish bias, if anything it’s the opposite. I do like the Basques though, hardy, leathery-skinned people them.

1 Like

I think he wants a cookie :poldi:

Fair enough.

I always rated Arteta at Arsenal for what it’s worth, and actually think he was a bit misused in our formation by Wenger.

I just don’t understand why your defending the appointment so hard. I’m excited by the idea of him, and wouldn’t be upset about it or anything, but I can’t see how you can defend appointing a guy who’s never managed a game in his life to one of the biggest clubs in Europe that is currently going through a massive restructure and stands on the brink of one of it’s biggest “make or break” moments in its history.

The opportunity cost of Arteta is huge. If we appoint him and he’s massively out of his depth, we miss out on the prime years of Ozil, Mkhi, and Aubameyang and could lose even more influence and power and money if we fall any deeper down the table.

We’ve more or less been able to survive these two seasons out of the Top 4 based on Wenger’s name and presence as well as our cash reserves but if we sign a high risk, no experience young manager who fucks it up it can cost us a shit ton not only in terms of capital but also reputation and the way other managers and players will look at our board and how the club is run and question how serious we are as a club.

I like Arteta, I think he’ll surprise people, but fuck me if this isn’t a crazy Hail Mary move.

2 Likes

Many at the time thought Flamini was less prone to being defensively exposed. Stats back this up in 13/14:

Flamini dribbled past 0.4 times per game
Arteta dribbled past 1.7 times per game

So while Arteta was better overall player, Flamini as a defender in midfield had merit and we were on a winning run when he started and IIRC Arteta was injured in 13/14

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a few days now lmao, it’s completely irrelevant isn’t it.

I’ve even seen people say “he isn’t a club legend”, as if we have to appoint a club legend manager? Was Wenger a club legend? I guess that rules Allegri out as well then lol

Go to Redcafe, then :wink:

I never rated Arteta at Arsenal, there’s no denying that. I liked him at Everton when he had a more attacking position and when he was bought I saw him as a good squad option for us, nothing more. As one could expect, Wenger shoe horned him to into some kind of defensive midfielder. A role he never was suited for and was often exposed. Ppl can bring up all the passing stats they want, but they only prove that he was good at passing short and sideways. A good stat if your only job is to win the ball back and act defensively. Sadly his lack of defensive skills and awkward positioning left us exposed on so many occasions and did cost us.

But does all this really matter? Does all his flaws as a player make him a good manager and suitable candidate?
I’m yet to see a decent and good argument on why he should be our new boss. That he’s a former player for us, Spanish (?!), been a coach under Pep, fancied by Wenger and has lovely hair, are all non convincing arguments in my book. Oh and “I liked him as a player” isn’t all that good either.

So is he some secret magician that will win us silverware just by showing up? Don’t get me wrong, if he is appointed and succeed then I’m very happy. But please, there must be more arguments than these.

2 Likes

He gives a good interview too apparently

1 Like

He was a great player when he was at Everton and was decent here for a couple of seasons but in his last two seasons here he barely played.
But what his playing ability has to do with whether he should be considered to be our manager is the question?

Would we be having this debate if he had never worn an Arsenal shirt and stayed at Everton?

I doubt it.

1 Like

I think with Arteta the truth lies somewhere in the middle with regard how good he was for us, he wasn’t as bad as some that are being overly critical are making out and he was not as good as some who are being hyperbolic have made out either.

He definitely was a good influence for our midfield and though it was nothing outstanding in terms of flair he was more than a safe pair of hands in what was a really shitty period, his football brain allowed him to perform well despite his obvious physical limitations at that stage in his career.

Whatever the case may be his performances for us have no bearing on whether he’ll succeed as a manager here, good or great players don’t necessarily make the best managers and average or mediocre players can excel at the managerial level. If he gets the nod I’ll be behind him despite plenty of reservations,I just hope for the sake of the club that it doesn’t end in tears.

2 Likes

Arteta was quite good his first 2/3 seasons here, then his leg gave out and became a huge liability.
He was never near the level of Petit or Gilberto, that just a mix of hyperbole and stupidity.

And while I lked him quite a lot as a player, I don’t think he ready to manage and to be honest I don’t think he will ever be a manager better or equal to Pochettino, Allegri, Tuchel or Nagelsmann.

3 Likes

No, it’s recognising that he played in far inferior teams, that football evolves and changes and generally gets a bit harder, and that people are overly romantic about past, consecrated players.

Are you talking about other people with Petit and Gilberto or yourself and Arteta? Hard to tell

3 Likes

Really can’t say that playing and management have any correlation tbh. Look at how many shit players have turned out to be world class managers and vice versa…I guess we will have to see if arteta does well or is utter turd.

Exactly it has no bearing at all and anyone who says it does has no clue. Like you said history backs this up

1 Like