Who would you like to replace Arsène Wenger?

Hope he takes a pay cut lol. Reading that Barca forum and also earlier posts on here from guys like @A.F @Burgundy and @AbouCuellar I think he is quite underrated because of MSN and his Roma spell (which was his first big managerial gig.)

He will have learnt since then and improved, taken those improvements to Barca.

I’ve come round on him. Certainly a better choice than Arteta or Vieira who are ones for the future imo

1 Like

Dont care about his salary as long as he injects some much needed life into some of our corpses.

Whoever the next manager is, we have to get behind them. We wanted new begginings and now we have it. Time to get behind the club.

5 Likes

When selecting a manager, I think the most important thing to consider is whether it goes with Özil’s song… “he’s Arsène Wenger’s man”…

“He’s Luis Enrique’s man” doesn’t sound right to me

Just change it to Arsenal FCs man.

I care about how much we pay.

I don’t mind paying big money for top managerial talent but if the £16m figure is true that completely outrageous. On what basis is he demanding that much?

He seems to want parity with Pep yet hasn’t got the same stellar CV nor am i convinced his methods will be successful at Arsenal.

He’s practically unsackable with the compensation being so high we’d have to give him a two year deal. Would he agree to that?

1 Like

Definitely would be happy with Enrique but I will say that people like Setién, Nagelsmann, Ragnick, Favre, Vieira, or Arteta excite me more–I confess, partly because we/I know less about the latter names (after Setién) and there’s that idea that they could be something special.

Anyways nothing suggesting we’re even considering Setién anyways.

Basically:

1. Arteta

2. Those names above, including Enrique

3. Allegri and other names that don’t excite me

4. Disaster scenario: Benítez, Ancelotti (convinced we’re not interested in such names tbh)

2 Likes

I agree.
He would have the respect of our better players because he has successfully managed top players in Europe and plays an attacking style of football, similar to Wenger.

It would also show the players and supporters that the board have some ambition, because Arteta or Vieira would be a risky, if a lot cheaper, option.

Enrique is proven at the highest level, but Arteta and Vieira have done nothing to even qualify for an interview at a top European club.

I would still prefer Conte, but Enrique is definitely up there with Allegri and Simeone as more than capable of doing a good job here.

Why do you care how much we pay our next manager?

If the reported figure of 16m is true thats only 6mil more than Wenger. Hardly breaking the bank.

Although i reckon we’ll negotiate something a bit less than 16m, or include clauses and bonuses instead.

Luis Enrique FFS! Jardim is ok, instead.

:henry2:

3 Likes

Do we really believe that Barcelona made him the highest paid or second highest paid manager in football in his last season at Barcelona? Since the Telegraph article was claiming that. Not that he wants that again per se.

Interesting guy

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/989427228063817728

3 Likes

Don’t know how reliable they are, but this one says Enrique is close to agreeing a deal with Chelsea. We’re having one outlet saying he wants to come to us and another saying he’s off to Chelsea :grin:

https://twitter.com/sport/status/989434511556534272

I’m not a massive fan of Sport, they tend to spout the most crap compared with other Spanish sport dailies.

I definitely hope it’s not true though, I’ve come round quite a lot to the prospect of Enrique managing us next season. Although it’s totally plausible that he would prefer the Chelsea job to ours.

If he goes to Chelsea we get Conte, if not, we get Enrique.
Either is fine by me :grinning:

I actually can’t say that I have a strong opinion on who the next coach should be but I think many expect the next coach to fail so we might as well give someone like Enrique two years and he takes that bullet but I wouldn’t fancy the likes of Arteta being chewed up and spat out that way.

I’m not expecting much from anyone tbh. It’s impossible to know what the immediate post Wenger landscape is but I’m assuming we’ll spend 2 years fighting to finish 4th rather than making significant progress instantly. We still don’t know entirely which players are devoted to Wenger rather than Arsenal (if any), nor do we know which players are truly valued by the club rather than Wenger.

The important coach will be the coach in summer 2020/2021 IMO but the summer 2018 coach? I don’t think we can necessarily expect that to be the guy to give us 5 beautiful years. What’s most important IMO is Sven, Ivan and Sanny start sorting us out for the long term. They need to take ownership of the sporting side of things and that might take a little bit of time and I’m sure they’ll make their own mistakes along the way.

I have a worrying feeling that we’re not quite as equipped for life after Wenger as we might hope and it seems the plans for life after him only really started last summer. I mean lets not forget this is a board who re-hired Wenger only 9 months ago.

If Enrique and Sanny have a working relationship then that may be an easy short term fit while we’re potentially unstable.

6 Likes

I would love it if the Arsenal <> Arteta link gets killed right now.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t care if the wage demands were accurately reflective of the manager’s ability, experience and record. £14m+ is super coach money, the likes of which Pep and Mourinho should rightly command, I don’t think Enrique is close to their level nor do I think he’s done anything special to warrant such a high wage.

It obviously won’t break the bank but it would be very concerning if Enrique managed to squeeze that much out of this club because of ??? On what basis is Enrique asking for anything above what Wenger got?

Once again I’m concerned about the size severance pack for him and his staff if we get to a point where he needs to be sacked.

We’re not desperate for him at all. This is one of the best jobs in football, we don’t need to pay that much to secure top managerial talent. I must stress If the rumour is true it says alot about Enrique’s character.

1 Like

You’ll all be calling for Enrique’s head before long, a donkey could have had the same success he had with Barca.

He’s a suspect choice.

2 Likes

That’s a bit unfair considering he won two league titles, 3 Spanish cups, and a champions league, no?

The Barça squad isn’t as good at Madrids and hasn’t been since Pep left to be honest. There’s no doubt that he’ll have to be far more tactically adept here, we can’t rely on Messi or on dominating about 90% of the league with ease like he could with Barça. I’m more than willing to give him the chance though.

I think it’s harsh to look at his time at Barça as anything other than a complete success to be honest.

5 Likes