Mesut Özil

This phrase gets bandied around alot but what does it actually fucking mean?

1 Like

It means that number 10s like Ozil who float around into space and rely on their technical ability, mainly passing, and intelligent reading of the game to create chances are less useful now that the game has changed.

Players in that position now have to be able to press effectively but also drive with pace and power when they have the ball. Basically, a lot of players in that type of role are way more explosive and direct now.

As @LordBendtner put it above:
" The days of technical ability being a players only strenght is gone at the top level. Pace, power and grit are the new black."

2 Likes

Make it sound like Ozil is some slow ass player. He can drive with pace, he’s deceptively quick in tight spaces too.

Fabregas never had pace or power and has been fine too during this generation. I don’t think the game has changed overnight to be fair.

Didn’t Ozil get 20 assists just a couple seasons ago too? He hasn’t got shit overnight. He just can’t be arsed anymore and has some serious motivational issues which just isn’t acceptable.
Also has been misused by Emery massively too, the rigidity of our fomation sometimes just doesn’t help Mesut at all.

8 Likes

He’s quick over 5 yards; he has that nice drop of the shoulder that he uses often to get past players, but he can’t carry the ball and drive with it as well as many others in the modern game.

Compare someone like Iwobi on the ball with Ozil and the way the former can drive with into space and take players on. His end product is obviously not great and he isn’t top quality so he isn’t the perfect example here, but a version of Iwobi with better end product would be more desirable for a lot of managers now than this version of Ozil, I guarantee that.

Özil is too good to fall out of ‘fashion’ in footballing terms. I agree with @Midfield_Maestro that it seriously looks like a motivational issue with Mesut. The guy looks shot and it’s understandable after the summer he had prior to this point now. Emery asking him to change his style in the process adds more friction. And I get that being a professional, you’re expected to rise above everything however it could have hit the wall for him.

I’d love him to have a reprise next season. A fully revived player, ready to take the reigns again because he knows himself that he pulled a stinker this season. I can equally see the logic in getting him off the books too. Even if there is still something serviceable in him, he’s 30 years of age now and on bloated wages. We can, if we were competent, sell him and find 2 or 3 lesser players that would serve the system better.

5 Likes

Does he? It would be nearly impossible for him not to know that, but his childish reaction anytime he gets substituted when he’s been playing piss poor doesn’t indicate to me that self-reflection regarding his performances is his strongest quality.

3 Likes

It’s something I tend to wince at when he pulls that charade off and it doesn’t rub anyone up the right way when you see him acting so petulantly.

I’m hoping there is some standard left for him to realise himself that he’s not meeting the requirements, regardless of how Emery is deploying his system upon him.

It really is a make or break summer for him and the club and a serious decision has to be made between all parties moving forward from this point.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Surely he cant have said that? :neutral_face:

Like he can talk lol. He isn’t been a player since his new contract

Invisible fraud

4 Likes

Emery you’re not even a fucking coach mate.

1 Like

You liked that philosophical quote didnt ya :henry2:

1 Like

The impudent cunt Ancelotti taking a page out of Emery’s book

That’s what I thought, but a professional lip reader can’t be wrong :smile:

5 Likes

Sorry, but this prick is part of the problem. He has got no right to talk this way to the manager / coach. Lacklustre cunt team.

Losing 4-1 against Chavs and playing half arsed.

I really dislike 70% of this team.

6 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

My man

1 Like

Spanish lip reader saw Emery’s response:

“Lo juro [I swear] you can’t be the highest paid player in this club’s history, you lazy, unfocused, spoilt little cunt of a bastard.”

15 Likes

No translation or lip reading needed on my remark;

Fuck out

2 Likes

Man kike Ozil trying to save us, captain material right there. :joy::rofl:

1 Like

How on earth are you still on Özil’s side here haha

4 Likes