Mason Mount

Chelsea may not have that option though with FFP. If the player wants a certain club, they can refuse a transfer and he could wait a year and see out his contract. Chelsea cannot afford to lose a player like Mount on a free atm. This is where I think Chelsea are going to really struggle, in shifting players that they want to sell. All of those players are in a very strong position.

Even more so when Chelsea will be looking to make their own big moves. The need to shift players is an urgent one if ffp is actually a serious thing.

1 Like

Yes Chelsea a club that are notorious for playing within the financial restrictions of FFP.

You guys are crazy if you think they’ll simply let Mount walk on some sort of reasonable fee because it will help them balance their books. Whether you like the player or not he’s clearly in demand and they’ll be able to set their price. They could easily get £50-85m for the player regardless of the fact he’s only got a year left.

There’s no way they bend over and let their rivals take advantage of them, it just simply won’t happen

I like the player but I’d walking away from the transfer this morning if I’m Edu and those figures are correct, good player but absolutely no where near worth that kind of investment. Let United or Liverpool waste half their transfer kitty on this nonsense

2 Likes

I’m not saying that they are not going to push hard for the highest fee, but the players at Chelsea are in a very strong position. For instance, if Mount only wanted to move to one club, he holds all the cards, as he can refuse a transfer to another club and then see out his contract for the final year. Chelsea cannot do anything about this. Chelsea have to hope with each of the players that they want to sell, that lots of clubs come in for them and the players are open to moving.

FFP will come back and bite Chelsea. They can only get away with the money they have spent on the basis that the payments for these transfers are spread over a long period of time. That’s fine if all the players work out, but they cannot keep doing this and they cannot then spend big money upfront on players. They will also take a hit next season with no European football.

Clubs like Arsenal and Utd could easily make a lower offer to Chelsea, but offer more money upfront, and that could be a more attractive option to them, than a higher figure.

It’ll be interesting to see how much interest there really is for him, especially at these prices.

I can’t see Liverpool buying both him and MacAllister, they’re very similar players. One is likely just being used as leverage in the negotiations around the other and most evidence suggests that they want MacAllister.

Mount is a player United would go after in the abstract but he would basically be cover for Bruno there and I don’t think that’s a very high priority for them given that they more badly need a striker, a more deep lying CM, GK, CB, etc. You also have to take a lot of United rumors with a grain of salt right now as they basically can’t make any serious transfer decisions until their ownership situation is cleared up.

I think there is a chance Arsenal are the only big club with legitimate interest at this point and that would give us real leverage. Newcastle seems like a possibility in the abstract but that hasn’t been rumored much and they are more linked to Maddison.

To me there’s no doubt Rice will have options and suitors. Cl winner, English international, good age, tons of experience and a single year on his contract.

Not to mention he plays in a position that’s absolutely in demand for all top clubs. Not everyone is going to be able to land Bellingham and eventually they’ll move on to other targets such as Mac Allister as you mentioned. And if Mac Allister is being quoted at £80m then Chelsea can absolutely cash in on Mount for about £55m.

The only way Chelsea get rinsed is losing him on a free and I don’t see that happening unless Poch sets an ultimatum.

1 Like

I guess it depends what rinsed means. The most comparable sales to me in terms of PL established players at top clubs in the last year of their deals are Jesus and Sterling last summer and they sold for £45m and £47m. Mount is a bit younger but not quite as good and Chelsea have less financial flexibility to just shrug and keep the player for another year than City did. So I would expect him to fetch something similar or a bit less.

I mean ultimately I think they’ll get around the same as those two but a little higher as he’s more marketable than both imo. Has the English tax over Jesus and the age over Sterling. I think the price will settle at around £50-60m. Anyone who lands him in the £40ms has done exceptionally well but I just have the feeling that Chelsea are going to come out of this one the winners. Who he’s mates with and where his first choice actually is matters very little when the big money starts moving as we saw with Mudryk.

I’d personally really like him here but even though I don’t usually care about money I’d be a little miffed if we paid more than we did for Jesus for him as I think there are other options out there for us.

1 Like

Arsenal, liverpool and United all looking at Mount :thinking:

Yet some would be underwhelmed? The dude is quality

4 Likes

Caicedo is worth more than 2 mounts and will cost less.

No brainer imo

2 Likes

Is he really? Is he an improvement over what we’ve got currently? Backup/rotation option for Odegaard perhaps?

I’ve never been impressed by him whenever he’s played :thinking:, maybe I should look at some past games to see what he’s about.

He’s better than Emile and Fabio. With Xhaka going, he’ll immediately be a starter bere.

1 Like

oh yeah, I completely forgot about those two! Ok, I’m definitely pro-Mount in that case :sweat_smile:

As much as I adore ESR selling both him and Vieira and bringing in Mount would be a no brainer. Though honestly I think we could accommodate it by selling only one. As we probably need Odegaard cover even if he is a fitness machine

1 Like

Devastating for me. I finally found a way to like this team and we add Mason Mount. Gross.

What is it you don’t like about him?

I’d rather we get him when his contract runs out then we’ll have a free Mason Mount

1 Like

Odegaard, Rice, Partey, Mount is a really strong and versatile quartet of midfielders that gives you two players capable of playing each of the three positions at a high level. Pad that out with Jorginho and either Vieira or ESR (probably Vieira realistically) and that’s a group I would be very happy to take into next season.

1 Like

There are more concrete criticisms like whether he’s good enough to take our midfield to the elite level, not just a “replace Xhaka with someone more mobile” level. He’s not good enough to be the primary creator but good enough to be a secondary creator. I think that’s a real issue.

But there’s also less rational criticism which is that I’ve always thought he was massively overrated because he’s English and played for Chelsea. I also find his face to be extremely irritating.

Ornstein says Mount is leaning toward a move to United. Seems like a bizarre fit to me.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1661437017165627399