Martin Ødegaard (c) (8)

World class player

6 Likes

Onfg what a player. BIG GAME MOMENT FROM A BIG GAME PLAYER.

We’ve actually got one of the best players in the world in our team again.

Absolute magician. Living in an Ødegaard wonderland :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

CAPTAIN

2 Likes

Not only is he a world class talent, but a world class humble, down to earth good guy off the pitch too. All hail NORWAY

6 Likes

No doubt.

1 Like

19 Likes

We’re past talking about talent now this is just a pure baller that leads by example

Ridiculous bargain, we’ve actually robbed Real blind

12 Likes

Imagine thinking this guy would be a bad signing. Would never be me eh :eyes:

4 Likes

Ooooof

3 Likes

You weren’t particularly wrong then. He’s a different player now and slowly living up to the hype he had as a youngster. Arteta and his team deserve huge credit for helping Martin turn it around.

Closest player I’ve seen to Messi so far the way he carries the ball, uses his body and weights the ball.
Mind you, there is still quite some distance with Leo but that says more about what a joke Messi is.

Anyway, Martin’s got got a venomous shot in him that he doesn’t use often and was beyond happy he did today.

Remember that goal against Olympiacos:

1:40

Hope he starts using it more going forward.

1 Like

Yeah thought about that too. Different stature, different bodies and doesn’t have that acceleration so you don’t notice it at first. But I agree he’s very similar to Messi in the way he uses the ball, the way he arches his back towards the ball and runs with the ball, the way he draws people onto himself and evades them.

I’d love to ask him about that, but I assume he watched a lot of Messi while growing up.

He’s come a long way since then in fairness to you

2 Likes

I think it was @Electrifying who picked it up first a year or two ago and I just couldn’t unsee it afterwards.

1 Like

I just posted a graph that had those two as the best creators in la Liga that one year he was balling at Sociedad.

I never really thought they were that similar, just two amazing players

Oh I don’t think I was wrong at all at the time. What I do think is that he’s proven with time that he is just so much better than the initial timid spell suggested.

1 Like

Maybe I’m mistaking you for someone else because you liked him so much too but it was certainly in OA that someone said he moves like Messi and it just clicked in my brain.

On course for ten goals and ten assists. Bloody brilliant.

6 Likes

I absolutely love this guy. Defo need a shirt with his name on it. Been immense for us so far this season.

2 Likes

Oh no, I did the mistake of going to look who might’ve said that about Messi and Odegaard and I’m seeing some really spicy takes about Odegaard. :rofl:

Yep, not today.

4 Likes

I always though he had some special ability under that shy/timid playing style he had at first here.

At times honestly I had my doubts, because he was playing SO FUC… conservative during that loan spell and during his first month or two after he signed. Literally zero risk in his game at that time. Often I wanted to see him benched because we truly looked more dynamic with ESR as a 10 when Arteta just switched to 4231 after that 5atb era.

But I think it was quite visible the raw technical and the physical tools were always there (he just refused to put them to use) and that he had a very high ceiling.

On occasions, when he would get pressed or somehow would end up in a tricky tight situation (he didn’t want to be in, because he was avoiding risk all the time) he would literally always get out of those and would show esquisite, elite footwork and control. But the problem was, for 90-95% of the time he was acting as if he had Xhaka’s legs.
Lack of confidence or what, IDK, all I know I’m happy he found his way.