Lucas Torreira

It’s shame it never worked out for Lucas here. He’s been a great servant for the club and a model professional. I’m glad the club granted him his wish and has treated him well during his stay with us. His goal and celebration against the other London team will always be a hallmark of his Arsenal days.

1 Like

I’d really have wanted to see him in a midfield three with Partey and Ceballos or Xhaka and Ceballos.

I struggle to believe that we really would have been so poor with a midfield like that if we’d just told Torreira to sit and shield the defenders.

Think he was just personally really upset and homesick in the Uk.

1 Like

Emery destroyed his life.

2 Likes

Emery deserves a lifetime sentence for crimes against humanity after what he put Arsenal fans through.

1 Like

You’ll see Simone get great value out of Torreira and they’ll piss themselves that we have to sell him for 21m. He’ll be a little South Amercian Kante in La Liga for them.

6 Likes

The option to buy seems so fucking stupid to me on the surface of it.

As if Atletico had the leverage here at the twelfth hour, if we pulled the deal they’d have been proper fucked after we’d stolen Partey. Find it hard to believe that they’d have turned down Torreira on loan with no option to buy, what else were they gonna do at that late stage?

3 Likes

Seeing Torreira play as a 10 is up there with Bendtner on the left wing. …shudders…

3 Likes

Bendter and other top class players can utilize their talent no matter what position they play.

1 Like

What a terrible deal, who the hell negotiated that?

Yeh man it makes zero sense to me but while I’m enjoying all this stuff about Simone being raging I think I’d be naïve to believe it entirely.

I think there has to be more to it, the whole going to La Liga with the release clause might have been a smokescreen for the media, we may have worked something simple out through the Torreria deal, a slight adjustment to paying the 45 million all in one go or something.

The whole we didn’t tell them makes Simone look better about losing a key man in his setup but the reality is we’ve been in contact for like a month so that’s obviously a fucking lie anyway, they knew it was coming and they all probably worked something out using Torreira as a sweetener.

What that sweetener is I do not know and probably never will.

1 Like

At the end of the day people have this idea that he wasn’t cut out for the PL but he was fine. He started very strongly and then unfortunately ran into Emery and his ridiculous desire to play him in an advanced role. And now he’s got Arteta as his coach and he just doesn’t seem to be the kind of play Arteta wants to utilise moving forward.

Signing a player like Torreira is the kind of transfer the club should make. Someone with a good profile, available for a reasonable fee and with plenty of upside and resale value.

Obviously in our case we’ve totally fluffed his stay in England and somehow agreed to let him go to Atletico for less than we paid after he’s bound to have an impressive loan under Simeone.

But all in all it didn’t work and you have to wish him the best he gave it his all and he tried to adjust to an unfamiliar role. He clearly didn’t settle too well in England either which can happen. The lifestyle differences can be greater for some players sometimes.

6 Likes

Even with Arteta I think the damage was done, when Arteta first came in Torreria adapted brilliantly to Teta’s new style and was fantastic to watch. This was around the time Xhaka was playing the quasi-left back role.

It was strange because after the lockdown Arteta seemed to drop him entirely, I think perhaps the homesickness played a huge part during quarantine and Arteta was told by either the player or the board that he wouldn’t be in his plans long term.

It is a shame because I think a lot of fans underestimate how good of player Torreira is and think he’s some kind of Elneny-esque player who can only play it back or to the side. He’s a fantastic prospect and we failed miserably in attempting to reach his ceiling but it’s testament to the type of player he is that Simone came in and snapped him up.

Hope he does well for them.

6 Likes

Exactly this. It’s kind of sad to see how some fans have such a low opinion of his abilities but in all honesty he’s so much more well rounded than we’ve been able to see at times. He can move the ball forward much better than he’s given credit for and his physical limitations are often overstated too.

1 Like

Ultimately on the ball he’s limited and he was winning the ball all over the pitch in Serie A but never managed to do the same here. He always seemed to be pushed off the ball way too easily in duals. Plus he cried when Xhaka got booed.

1 Like

Can’t believe this app is free

1 Like

Wait, so Atletico don’t have a buy option at the end of his loan? If that’s the case Arsenal can get good money for him if he has a good season.

2 Likes

Didn’t Fabrizio report there was one?
Another detail Fab got wrong?

That would be amazing but wtf is that source my guy?

No idea my man, just saw it on Reddit, liked the sound of it and chose to believe it.

The best part of the tweet got cut off by my screenshot - it said “Arsenal humiliate Atletico again”.

3 Likes

He’ll probably feel more comfortable in Spain than in England, hopefully he plays well so we can cash in :sunglasses: