Lucas Torreira

Well we know they can afford it :wenger:

2 Likes

:xhaka:

Because Shammy was being completely serious.

2 Likes

I definitely hugged someone I didn’t know that day.

1 Like

That’s such a shit option to buy. Didn’t he cost 35 million euros. I don’t know why you’d put the ‘option’ and not obligation as low as 21m. Peanuts

A simpler time :disappointed:

3 Likes

WHO be giving you a call today mate.

Given that his overall level of performance has been on the average side since he joined, €21M isn’t an insulting amount of money particularly given the coronavirus situation.

I’m fairly confident that Atleti will take us up on that option come the end of the season. He will surely flourish as a destroyer and small distance distributor under Simeone. He’s capable of more than that but Torreira is brilliant at harassing and intercepting when he has a small radius to protect.

Atleti might think we’ve done the dirty on them right now but they’ll be fairly happy when they can bring in Torreira for a bargain price next year.

3 Likes

We probably also get some loan fee now so it’s about the same amount we paid for him in first place

2 Likes

The relationship is fine. It’s just dumb leaks and idiot English journos trying to create stories out of nothing.

They might be a bit miffed but they’ll get over it.

They asked for the release clause, we paid for the release clause (loved that move btw. Proper big club behaviour).

Why don’t they focus attention on the relationship between United and BVB? Proper dick law stuff there

1 Like

It wouldn’t be if they’re paying it now. They aren’t. He could have a great season and be worth way more than 21m by next summer

1 Like

It was clear he clearly wasn’t settled in England, something about his girlfriend broke up with him just as he was moving to Arsenal, which sucks so you got a broken heart and moving to a new country, without family and friends. Also I just don’t the English league suits him at all, he looked good for the first few months then you could see it was just catching up with him. Emery screwed him up too with moving him further forward, throw in injuries too and I don’t think Arteta really sees much in him.

He’s the kind of player who will pull up trees in La Liga and Serie A but looks out of his depth in the tougher PL. Good luck to him, he seems like a lovely guy but Arsenal and him aren’t a good mix.

2 Likes

This could easily happen - Torreira under Simeone may very well flourish and be worth €25 - 40m in just 9 months.

What I meant was that €21m isn’t a bad sum of money given that we had to negotiate it right now when we are in the midst of a pandemic. I’m not sure why we didn’t just loan him out without any clauses but I’m assuming that Torreira / Atleti played hardball with us. We needed the loan fee and to get him out of our already bloated squad. They probably squeezed us for that clause and it worked.

But let’s say he does well at Atleti, I prefer to see this whole thing as upgrading Torreira at a cost of €29m basically. Torreira doesn’t have the right attributes to elevate us to top 4 and beyond. Our system doesn’t make the most of his qualities. Partey, on the other hand, will hopefully do that.

2 Likes

We’ll be charging a loan fee too, so we may end up with something like €4m + €21m out of him.

1 Like

Wish someone had told Hertha that :xhaka:

1 Like

Contrary to early reports they did actually pay a loan fee. The amount hasn’t been released but they did do it.

2 Likes

Is that reported somewhere? Not that I disbelieve you but nothing I’ve seen says that.

Matteo Guendouzi was the day’s other high-profile departure, joining the Bundesliga club Hertha Berlin on loan for the season. Hertha have paid a fee to recruit Guendouzi, who fell out with Arteta after the defeat at Brighton in June and has not been reintegrated into the side since.

2 Likes

Excellent :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They have paid five English pounds and an additional five English pounds for each appearance he makes.

4 Likes

The preferred nomenclature is “Great British Pounds (Sterling)”. Thanks.

3 Likes