Lucas Torreira

At this point he just wants to leave Arsenal at any cost.

6 Likes

I cannot wait to find out that Lazio only wish to take Torriera on loan.

2 Likes

I really liked him in his first season here but it’s turned out to be a disaster of a transfer really.

7 Likes

Definitely a signing which I feel we failed him more than anything else.

3 Likes

I feel he failed himself more than anything else.

2 Likes

Yeah he definitely failed himself by being asked to play as practically a number 10 and then being inexplicably removed from the team and his minutes given to players like Elneny lol

5 Likes

But will still need Arsenal to pay most of his wages.

It wasn’t like he was predominantly used there, it was a game here or there where Emery wanted to play respect-ball. It was moreso an #8 role than #10.
If that caused him to decline so bad then something’s off witht
Elneny also didn’t get his game time. Torreira was heavily relied upon in the first season, Elneny got loaned out in his second season.
He was predominantly being used in a pivot the under Emery and under Arteta. Ceballos displaced in the second season and that was for good reason at the time we were playing much better with him rather than Lucas.

He hasn’t set the world alight at Atleti either.

1 Like

His first few appearances under Emery and Arteta demonstrated his value as a hard pressing, ball winning DM. I harp on about it, but he was outstanding in Arteta’s first few games (which included Chelsea and United iirc).

He could have been such a useful player for us had the relevant managers shown faith in his quality.

That tigrish and hungry iteration of Torreira alongside Partey would have been so much better than Xhaka / Elneny / Ceballos.

What a waste.

4 Likes

We tried to fix what wasn’t broken by taking a player who’d won the most man of the match awards in the first half of our season and shoehorning him into an advanced role for no reason. It didn’t suit him.

In his second season, his minutes dropped consistently until he was effectively dropped and never given another proper look in.

And then in his third season, he was loaned out to Atletico and his minutes given to shitters like Elneny.

The fact is, we mismanaged him after a very bright start. Torreira has all the right abilities to have been a good defensive midfielder for us and work alongside a good midfield to produce good results. Instead he was inexplicably removed and never given another proper look in whilst we suffered through Xhaka-Elneny and Xhaka-Ceballos pivots.

3 Likes

Why you have to search around the world for such a limited skill set is beyond me.
One of the biggest fucking whingers ive ever encountered.
We have long history of so called cunts here but this weasel took it to a new level and gave nothing much in return.

3 Likes

Toreiras MOTM performances wernt based on much though he was just a new likeable player we wanted to do well and he put in 100%.

Emery didnt like him, Arteta didnt like him and Simeone didnt like him. Not the best collection of managers but still dont think he was ever cut out for a midfield in a top half PL team.

3 Likes

Emery wanted N’Zonzi over him and made it clear he didn’t like him. Really wish Emery had the balls to tell the club he didn’t want Torreria’s profile. Though it was that sycophantic nature that landed him the job in the first place.

Didn’t help that Torreira seems to have a weak character and wasn’t willing to change Emery’s mind.

Shame, solid little player and it kind of stings we didn’t get to see him in his element more because he’s a much nicer player than your Denilsons, Coqs and Elnenys of the world.

4 Likes

Correct. Xhaka has played better than Torreira did in those matches plenty of times

Up there with Hleb eating ice-cream in Italy.

Mark Noble puts in 100%. Lee Cattermole put in 100%. Neither could reproduce the displays that Torreira put in.

It wasn’t just trying hard, it was intelligent pressing and interceptions. He won the ball back because he knew where to stand which is half the battle for a good DM. He also wasn’t a new player when Arteta took charge.

I won’t make out that he’s the white Kante but he was really impressive for us when given the chance. He just wasn’t given that chance on a consistent basis. Maybe that’s his fault, maybe it isn’t. But he did perform to a really high standard at times and it was incumbent upon the Arsenal managers who coached him to unlock that consistently.

It’s also no slight on Torreira that he couldn’t force himself into a midfield consisting of Koke and Saul. They are obviously a class above Torreira, but he should have added more to this team than Elneny and Ceballos at a minimum. That’s why I find it a real shame.

6 Likes
1 Like

Getting no time in the Copa at the moment. 5 subs as well.

2 Likes

Ouch he was a starter in the World cup around the time we signed him.

3 Likes

That tweet, and a lot of his, scream of Italian clubs using him as a mouthpiece to make it clear they want players at a cheaper price.

Italian clubs not as skint as they like to make out when you see fiorentina spending €27m on some scrub from the bundesliga

4 Likes