Looking to Move out

I dont live in Glagow thats just the closest city haha. As I said to aus its about 40 minutes on the train from where I am

3 Likes

I’m about 40 mins commute into the city also mate and truth be told now I’m a fossil in my 30s I don’t care much for town anymore. I only go into town when I have to for work which luckily isn’t the majority and every weekend in the winter to watch my footy team when playing at home.

2 Likes

Missed that haha. That’s not too bad a commute tbh is the city centre in Glasgow expensive?

Yeah I pay £825 a month in rent, and that’s only half as I split with my gf

LOL kill me now

2 Likes

What sort of place does 1650 quid a month in rent get you pal ?

You can sleep in a porch for that in London if lucky

2 Likes

Why? Networking is important.

2 Likes

Hahaha yeah I see what you’re saying and he seems like a decent bloke. Maybe I’m just worried about one of the big bosses seeing me if I’ve had one or two too many beers :joy:.

1 Like

My maths was off, our rent is £1,750.

It gets you a fairly small 1 bed flat with a decent garden about 5 minutes from the tube and the park.

It’s actually undervalued, according to my real estate agent mate. We got it thought a private landlord website and our friend says that given our location and garden etc we should be paying around £2,000 which is insane really butt welcome to London and welcome to Fulham.

That said it’s extremely convenient. I’m about 20 minutes from work on Sloane Street and the area is super dog friendly and accessible in general, and pretty close to my friends who all live in west London. We’ve extended our lease twice and we’re happy here.

My dream is eventually to get a good job out in Bristol or Bath and live in Bath again like we used to, but all the big corporations and embassies are in London so I don’t see that happening any time soon.

1 Like

It’s getting that way, but you can still find bargains.

Averages about £450 a month each in a flatshare for a nice flat.

@Calum haha you could literally be anywhere in central/west Scotland lol

Perfect timing though, just as there is talk of a new metro in Glasgow

Just live it Cal.

1 Like

Haha, that’s bad. But let’s be real, you did choose to live in Fulham, you could be getting vastly more for your money and still love in a pretty fucking nice area. Or just pay way less for something similar. But you’ve basically chosen to live in the oligarch’s playground, sooooo :man_shrugging:

No shade intended, totally get why you’d like to live round there, and I get that it still feels like mental money (but cause it is haha)

The west side elec. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Btw Congrats on being a home owner Calum that’s awesome. Wish I could buy a property and pay like $100 a month for my mortgage :joy::joy: good on you my dood :+1::+1:

2 Likes

really pleased for you @Calum but get your own thread :wink:

3 Likes

I remember reading about a student who preferred flying back and forth from Finland as the rent and flight tickets were cheaper than staying on rent in London.

Massive waste of time but I guess daily commute is the same.

Sounds like a cunt who wanted his name in the media. Bet he was a youtuber.

4 Likes

Congratulations @Calum. It’s a great feeling to own a home, no matter how small or big.

I was 26 when I bought my first flat. My mortgage, back in 2006, was equivalent to 322 pounds. Closed that in 2010.

Bought a second flat in 2014. Much bigger place (not that the first one was small) close to the prime of the city, very close to where I work. Mortgage is equivalent to 750 pounds.

Both me and my wife work, so its way easier to own a house, especially if you consider the fact that she makes twice as much as I do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Not to mention absolutely horrible for the environment

@Calum Congratulations mate that’s awesome! Completely forget to congratulate you yesterday, too busy moaning hahaha

@JakeyBoy

The oligarchs playgrounds are way more centered around Fitzrovia, Kengsington, Mayfair, Belgravia, and Knightsbridge. Fulham is more Spanish/French/US etc. expats, lawyers, tv presenters, producers, accountants, and corporate types. So like normal people with good jobs not crazy Arabs and Russians haha

We did choose to move to Fulham but we looked all over west London like Baron’s Court, Hammersmith, Wandsworth, Putney, Wimbledon, Richmond, Clapham etc. and they were all in that £1,700 - £1,800 price range minimum. Once you dipped below £1,700 the flats honestly just weren’t that nice and often were pretty dilapidated because British landlords can get away with fucking murder.

We even looked at places like Bethnel Green, Mile End, Shoreditch but most of the decent areas there have been gentrified and thus are just as expensive and the more affordable areas in those places were often built up and quite run down.

East London wasn’t really viable for us either as all of our friends live in west London and we didn’t want to move to a completely new city and isolate us from our friends and support system. Not to mention we still travel back to Somerset/Cornwall quite a lot so we wanted close access to Paddington and if we drive, just getting out of London from the east would add another 1-1.5 hours to our journey because of London traffic.

We also wanted easy access to a park because of the dog, and west London is just a bit leafier and greener with more parks. We live 60 seconds away from a nice big park with a good dog-walking community. We also both work at offices on the District line so from a commuting stand point it also made sense.

Trust me, I was VERY against moving to one of the most expensive areas in London from the get go and we shopped around a lot but at the same time we also wanted to live in a neighbourhood similar to what we ourselves had lived in before and that also met our day-to-day needs.

I look at similar nice areas in Bristol, Bath or even Copenhagen, and you just get so much more for your money than you do in London. I think that’s what frustrates me the most. I just feel like I’m getting ripped off. I understand that I (begrudgingly) chose to move to London and live in Fulham but I still reserve the right to have a good old moan about how ridiculously expensive it is for not much in return :joy:

7 Likes