Liverpool

I’m saying over a substantial 3 year sample size between 2017-2018 and 2019-2020 seasons Liverpool are a top 3 side in Europe.

That’s a convenient shift of goalposts.

The season Liverpool won the league, they weren’t a top 3 European side, as proven by their early exit in the premier European competition.

Their demise in Europe was much like their fall domestically, only that took place a season earlier.

The whole “top 3 in Europe” is an arbitrary figure, anyway. Can’t be defined. It’s more an opinion, in my opinion.

It seems ridiculous to call Chelsea the best team in Europe in 2012, for example.

A Champions League winning team who made a final the previous year is undoubtedly one of the top 3 sides in Europe.

Nobody could name 3 better sides in Europe over the period of 2017-20.

In their CL winning season they beat Bayern Munich and Barcelona.

6 Likes

1 Like

Chelsea weren’t they came 6th in the league.

I’d still consider Liverpool top 3 in Europe last season, they were 26-1-0 after 27 league games in probably the best league in the world.

Yeah they lost in the rd of 16 that’s knockout football it can happen, hence my reasoning for using a 3 year sample size.

I think the only 2 you could make a case to be better over that period is Bayern and City, but City have consistently been let down by CL failures.

This is still way too convenient for my liking. You can’t just say “oh it’s football” if they lost over two legs, comfortably, to an anti-football side.

Again, comes back to my argument about the Invincibles. It’s ridiculous to call them the best team in Europe (which you haven’t mate, I’m just making a point) while their European form was shit.

We’re talking one stand alone season here. 2019/20. Liverpool weren’t one of the 3 best teams in Europe. Their CL form proved that.

You can’t put City ahead of them when they just didn’t do anything in Europe.

1. Liverpool
  2. Bayern
  3. Real
  4. City

That would be how I’d rank it

3 Likes

So who’s your top 3 in Europe last season @DavidHillier Leipzig ? Lyon ?

In 17/18 season alone I didn’t consider Liverpool top 3 in Europe despite them making the CL final.

Over a large sustained sample size of 3 years Liverpool have undoubtedly a top 3 record in Europe, combined with CL results and league form, hence I’m surprised the collapse has been as bad as 3 wins in their last 11 league games.

1 Like

A CL for city this season would change the landscape dramatically wouldn’t it ? Missing piece of the puzzle.

Undoubtedly. Phenomenal side but I can’t rank them higher because of their form in Europe.

1 Like

Again, this is your opinion. Last season, they weren’t one of the best teams in Europe.

In 17/18, you didn’t consider them a top side in Europe. But because they reached the CL final, you now do, and you’ve added that to your large 3 year sample size? :thinking:

Strange one, but on 19/20 alone, Liverpool weren’t one of the best 3 teams in Europe. (Neither were Leipzig nor Lyon btw)

The best team in Europe last year was Arsenal 2004 under Wenger.

1 Like
5 Likes

You’re contradicting yourself here. If Chelsea winning the CL doesn’t qualify them as the best team in Europe, then you can’t say Liverpool going out to Atletico rules them out as one of the best teams in Europe.

The Barcelona team during peak Messi era was comfortably top 3 in Europe for every single year, yet they narrowly lost to Atletico and Chelsea (let alone the embarrassing defeat to Bayern). We all know the nature of cup competitions don’t we?

Your fact is twisted as well, in saying Atletico comfortably beat Liverpool last year. In fact they just fluke a goal early in the first leg, then was thoroughly outplayed at Anfield. Only luck kept them until extra time, and then the Liverpool backup goalkeeper decided to gift them 2 goals.

This overemphasis on titles won and tendency to treat achievements as only 0/1 have always bugged me. A typical example is saying Messi can’t be the greatest because he doesn’t have any national trophies. Well he got into extra time of the WC final and was one penalty away from winning Copa America. That can’t count for nothing.

By the way the Invincibles were definitely one of the best team in Europe that year (but only that year though).

4 Likes

Did anyone hear Big Martin Keown put the boot into Liverpool on TalkSPORT Friday morning.
Absolute radio gold . Souness phoned in but Keown wasn’t having any of it .
And the subject-
Liverpool passing the ball back for Droppalaar to pick up ,

Just how good was he in his prime? :grin:

1 Like

He was good , natural talent

I’d say top three moustache in English football history.

1 Like

This is such a satisfying fall from grace. Awful cunt fans. Cunt ex-players. Shit awful city too.

8 Likes