Liverpool

Klopp’s CL outweighs Wenger’s entire FA cup haul for those 5.5 seasons.

5 Likes

It’s a farcical point :joy::joy:.

PL title, CL title (a trophy Wenger never won) + final, back to back 95+ point seasons (a tally Wenger never managed).

I’d take that 1 PL title and CL title over 10 FA Cups.

The lengths some people will go to discredit Klopp border on embarrassing.

7 Likes

Yeah and K£opps CL doesn’t even count, we all know CL titles post like 2008 are diminished.

2 Likes

I knew when VVD got injured they would struggle this season and my son tells me they’ve had further defensive injuries.

It shows how much a team can change with just one or two weaker areas in a flash making the whole team look worse.

Then confidence erodes and tiredness builds and they go from being one of the very best teams in the world to being beaten 5 in a row at home.

No doubt they’ll get it back on track and Klopp hasn’t become a poor manager over night.

Makes me hopeful Arteta may get it going into gear for us especially with another player or two who raise the bar for us (Partey standard except stays fit).

2 Likes

But it occurs in an unprecedented season though, so I’m not gonna judge him solely on that run.

They have 3 senior CBs. All injured for the season.
The two CMs who drop back to cover. Injured.
Bought two cheap guys (who I think are shit anyway) in January to cover. One injured before even kicking a ball. The other just got injured after last night.
Apparently one of their U23 CBs also was also injured yesterday.

A total of 18 different pairs of CB, and it’s only matchday 27. I believe we’ve never seen such a freak series of injuries at the same position for any PL teams, including Wenger’s during our worst injury hit periods.

All that during a year without fans. Believe it or not, Klopp’s teams relies a lot on their home crowd. No wonder why their players are mentally drained.

2 Likes

Indeed.

People pointing to back to back 95+ point seasons like he won back to back PL titles.

Newsflash. He didn’t. Bottled one of those seasons and blamed dropped points on the weather :joy:

1 Like

Back to back 95 point season are amazing when ur team isn’t financially doped out of the ass, when it’s kinda like umm yeah u should be winning…probably by more.

3 Likes

I think this is a key point.

Liverpool have always had the benefit of trial and error and the luxury of signing a big money dud in the transfer market.

God only knows what we’d have done had we bought Andy Carroll or Benteke. I suppose more loan signings, exactly like we’re doing now.

Me too.
Most clubs put out weakened teams in the early rounds, even clubs from the Championship and lower leagues.
You don’t have to qualify to get in the FA Cup and it’s not taken that seriously by the big teams until they get to at least the quarter finals.

Just to qualify for the CL, a team has to be one of the best in the league they play in and it is the top club competition in Europe.

It wasn’t that long a go that we saw the likes of Portsmouth, Cardiff, Wigan, Hull, etc, get to the final of the FA Cup so you can’t compare it with Europe’s elite competition.

It’s obvious Liverpool have had a very poor season but their squad can’t cope with injuries the same way that Man City have and I would swap all the FA Cup wins Wenger had at the Emirates for a CL or PL trophy.

1 Like

Another crazy take from Michael Owen.

“Nah, not gonna try win a penalty and thus a point, would rather lose than let the Egyptian fraud get another pen.”

2 Likes

Klopp and the players that have been signed for him were the work of that analytics system the owners bought after Rodgers.

The owners put together All the parts Klopp made it into an unstoppable machine for a year and a half and it’s already going to the shitter.

Remarkable collapse from the lad not going to lie that’s some impressive stuff.

If only we faced a dead spurs in the CL final as well

2 Likes

That’s Owen’s own outlook as a striker tbf

I agree a lot with what you’ve said here but I wouldn’t include Leicester as a comparison, I never considered them an elite team, more of a 1 season anomaly.

Can’t fluke a title winning season. :blush:

They deserved it just saying the levels, one had one season of 81 points the other had back to back 95 + point seasons and back to back CL finals including winning 1.

Different caliber of team @DavidHillier

1 Like

But it’s not unprecedented.

Arsenal in 1990, Leeds in 1993, Blackburn in 1996, Leicester and Chelsea more recently.

Once a team wins the league (especially in isolation), they tend to end up defending it miserably.

2 Likes

3 of those titles are before my time but yeah.

The strange thing about Liverpool’s one imo us I think they had 30 points from the first 14 games, so it wasn’t like they started horrifically.

Also I think my meaning off a elite might be slightly different, how many of those title winners you mentioned would have been considered a top 3 bonafide team in Europe like Liverpool were ?

Nor were Liverpool. They defended their European title pretty badly and were soundly beaten by Atleti over 2 legs.

Lol a team that has back to back 95+ point seasons in the EPL and makes back to back CL finals including winning 1 over a 3 year period is top 3 in Europe @DavidHillier.

List me 3 other sides between 17-18, 18-19 & 19-20 with better records ?

1 Like

So are you saying Liverpool were top 3 in Europe in 2019 or 2020?

They’re 2 very different things.

Arsenal have won the league unbeaten. Seems ludicrous to call them one of the best teams in Europe if they couldn’t reach the European Cup semi final and went out to an English team, no less, in the same season.

Same applies for Liverpool in 2020, going out to the 3rd best tean from Spain in the process.