Liverpool v Arsenal (PL)

This is in line with what I vaguely recollect from Dec 2020 (50/50, 18k+ votes).

1 Like

I remember that poll too. I still can’t believe the answers.

1 Like

I was still sorta backing him back then. lol, although I definitely wouldn’t have complained if the board made a move.

1 Like

Impossible. There is no round of 32 in the Europa League anymore :wink:

1 Like

Is there another team in the league who get so consistently and thoroughly pumped at Anfield every single fucking time? Honestly.

A loss at Anfield is no disgrace, and the likeliest outcome, I’m under no illusions about that. But is it really too much to expect to go there and be able to leave after 90 minutes with a scoreline that gives the appearance of it having been a contest? Just every now and then, could we perhaps be treated to a narrow 1-0 loss at Anfield? I wouldn’t dare be so bold as to ask to leave Anfield with the occasional draw, let alone a win, so I don’t think its too big an ask to hope for a narrow loss for once.

Teams like Burnley, Southampton, Wolves, Leicester, Spurs don’t seem to get utterly banged literally every time they go to Anfield, do they?!

We can talk all day about how they’re the best team in the land or whatever and we’re a work in progress etc etc, but it’s just not OK to go up there and get thoroughly pumped every single fucking time.

I’m beyond sick of it, it’s embarrassing for any top flight club, let alone one with pretences of being a big club.

15 Likes

I didn’t think we were that bad tbh.

But I also had 8 beers so my judgement might be clouded.

4 Likes

We were organised and compact in the first half but differed little going forward. The best compliment I can pay the team is that in the first half we didn’t look bad (albeit we didn’t look great).

3 Likes

I mean, we lost 4-0 and our goalkeeper was praised for how well he played.

It’s not great haha

2 Likes

That’s grim

I’m not gonna disagree, just sharing my beer hazed thoughts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even in the first have we allowed far too many shots though.

Can’t expect to get anything against top teams when we concede so many chances, got away with it against Leicester but against Liveprool, City, Chelsea and others they’ll put us to the sword in ruthless fashion.

@Jakeyboy that’s exactly what I was saying at 0 - 0, that we’re only talking up Ramsdale, was a bad omen. No way we shut them out lol.

3 Likes

I think we only looked organised and compact in the first half because liverpool wernt playing well at all. Little intesnsity, miss placed touches and passes. Despite this they still left the first half with about 3 clearcut chances, a goal up and us not leaving a single impression on them.

The second the screw turned a little bit our true form showed. Dont really see any positives at all from either half performance.

6 Likes

Awful result.

We go again!!

2 Likes

I think this result fully exposes the gulf in class and where we ought to be come the end of the season.

We’re a 5th, 6th, 7th place team and MAYBE 4th if we’re lucky and clubs around us fall off.

We’ve had luck with other fixtures benefitting us so who knows how long that will last.

2 Likes

Just going through the results of the past few seasons it’s really only when Arsene left did we start having trouble. A lot of draws at anfield when we had AW as manager. Different story nowadays that we have an amateur and not a legendary all time great manager. Too bad.

I think part of the problem is the way Liverpool play suits big games.
Their high pressing, high intensity works better when the crowd are riled up and they’re playing a good team.

That’s not to say they play badly against the likes of Burnley, but might explain the difference in scoreline.

Also we play out from the back a lot more than other teams, so Liverpool will obviously catch us out more on the counter than other teams

Ultimately the scoreline was what it was yesterday because of our (unforced) mistakes, but they did play well

Massively dissapointed… Couldn’t even bother to write after the game…
I thought this squad had the tools to cope with Liverpool, give them a tight contest… I was so wrong.
They weren’t just better, they are still on a completely different level compared to us and that’s the issue.

7 Likes

This is the main point.
When we have played against lower teams like Burnley, Watford, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Brentford, etc, we haven’t dominated these games and if we do win, it’s never convincing.

But against genuine top level teams like Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool we are completely outplayed and outclassed

Even when we have beaten top half teams like spurs and Aston Villa, it’s because they’re on a poor run and just before they sack their manager.

We simply are no more than a top half team under Arteta but under a proper manager, we have the potential to at least challenge for a top four place.

5 Likes

We got rid of the lazy fuck Ozil, we spent 200m.
Our youth players are not really raw as they played quite an amount of games under their belts and they are supposed energetic on the field. Saka and Rowe are veterans already.
We just had a 10 game unbeaten streak and supposed our players were ready for this game, physically and mentally.

Somehow we got beaten by Liverpool the same way, again.
We said Klopp is a one trick pony, the high press. Can we or other teams copy that, at least on the intensity level? Nope.
They know when to press, when to reserve energy. They know when to take the risk, and when to be cautious.

For me, I just wanted to see a fight. A team has the mentality to give it a try, courage enough to challenge, doesn’t care if you are the Pool, prime Real/Bayern/Barcelona etc.

After 200m spent, got rid some of the deadwoods, have a bunch of young (but not inexperienced) core players… still, we got beaten by the same fashion again. I don’t see how the culture and mentality or approach was changed.
Welcome to ground zero and nothing has changed. All was just bullshit, especially the “progress”.
We don’t even have our own brand and style of football.

We look “better” under Arteta because we spent 200m, we have “better” players.
That’s it.

4 Likes

We did look better in the first 30 minutes

The surrender after that especially in the second half was Wengeresque (as in the period when he was past it right at the end).

The lack of bite in the attacking third also very deeply concerning.

The trio of Jota, Salah and Mane made our attacking quartet look third rate in every respect.

Our midfield was overrun in the end and our full backs a lot worse than Liverpool’s.

As I said yesterday the next six weeks against decent but more beatable opposition will define Artetas reign.

All in, a 4-0 drubbing was at the worst end of my expectations yesterday. Very poor and only very limited sign of progress after 200m of backing for Arteta and Edus project. Simply not good enough and must do better.

5 Likes